Found Baby bunnies - advice please!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I am hoping someone knows about rearing tiny baby bunnies.

My friend found them in her backyard (3)...well actually the dog found them. They don't think teh mom is around or else she would have moved them by now knowing the dog found them.

Anyway, not sure how old they are, but their little ears are slicked right back and they are real little.

My friend is getting an eye dropper to feed them..and some shavings for in a box or something. She is trying to get a hold of a local lady that deal with abandoned wildlife too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not put them back if there are dogs present. Dogs are predatory animals and rabbits are prey animals. (not a good combo!) If however the dogs are no longer in that area, it is best to try and put them back and just back off for a while and see if the mommy comes back for them. However- since your friend already moved them, the momma may have been scared off and might not return.

The most important thing for her to do right now is keep them warm. You do NOT want them to get chilled. She needs to have them in a little box with a heating pad on "low" then above the heating pad, have some really soft blankets for them to snuggle in. Make sure they are nice and warm before you feed them. If you feed them while they are chilled, they will not digest properly and it could make the fluid drown their lungs.

What is your friend using to feed them? Make sure she doesn't give her human milk as they can't digest cow's milk protien. The best thing she can do is to give them a homemade formula with pedialyte. DO NOT FEED A NERVOUS BUNNY- bunny's go into shock incredbaly easily and it can kill them- try to keep them as calm as possible. Make sure they are comfortable and warm before trying to feed them. Make sure she warms up the formula to room temperature before giving it to them. Feed them with their feet flat on the ground...slowly. Do not turn them over like a human baby to feed them- it will cause the milk to flood their lungs and drown them.

Any idea how old the bunnies are??? The best idea right now is to try and get in touch with a wildlife expert to take them. Good luck!!

This link will tell her what to feed them and how to care for them!

http://www.geocities.com/crawdadcree...anedBunny.html

here is another helpful site
http://www.mybunny.org/info/newborn.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Nikki!!! AWESOME!

Thank you so much..I would have never known all that

I really appreciate the advice.

And no, unfortunately we don't know how old they are

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, bunnies!

My brother found 4 last summer that we abandoned in our backyard from their mommy rabbit.. and he raised them all until they were old and well enough to go out on their own!

1 of them still sticks around our backyard too!

Good luck to your friend!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Hey guys,

I am hoping someone knows about rearing tiny baby bunnies.

My friend found them in her backyard (3)...well actually the dog found them. They don't think teh mom is around or else she would have moved them by now knowing the dog found them.

Anyway, not sure how old they are, but their little ears are slicked right back and they are real little.

My friend is getting an eye dropper to feed them..and some shavings for in a box or something. She is trying to get a hold of a local lady that deal with abandoned wildlife too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
http://www.bestfriends.org and go to the bunny area. They have a LOT of experience with rabbits and will be a wealth of information. If you don't get enough onsite, try contacting someone there via email (follow the links) and GOOD LUCK to them and to you. Thank you for caring and for helping them!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a wild rabbit have several litters in the back yard. Actually the mother bunny does NOT visit the nest other then 2-3 times a day. So more then likely mom WAS around and taking care of them. They will not just come and move them like mother cat would. They would come back and nurse or they would abandone.

But what is done is done now. They should have left the babies alone. Are the eyes open yet? I'd call DNR or a wildlife place and ask your questions on care. We did try to rescue a baby bunny once, but it died in a few days - more of shock.