It Just Doesn't Make Sense...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it that you do your best to keep your cats healthy by keeping them indoors to avoid diseases & illnesses - taking them to the vet for exams, shots, meds, etc. - and they get sick anyway??
. But the strays that run around outdoors which are exposed to everything, and DON'T have any protection, seem to be healthier, and live longer??

I just don't get it......

KittKatt

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We probably just don't notice it with the ferals outside. Our inside cats are constantly there to be watched, so we notice every little thing with them. I hope yours are healthy and happy.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that this may be the exception and not the norm. How are your cats doing? Did you bring this up because your cat is sick?

Like human beings, each cat is an individual and some are more prone to illness than others. I think indoor cats probably face different health risks that outdoor cats. For example obesity because people feed them too much and that can lead to a range of obesity related health problems and I suspect overvaccination for a cat that really doesn't need so many shots because the cat is indoors and not exposed to all the sicknesses outside could compromise a cat's immune system.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no good answer to your question. It is possible that we do notice illness and disease more with our cats than with the ferals. Knowing that both Winchester and Geronimo are FIP positive I understand how you feel.

Here are lots of hugs and positive vibes for all of you.
I hope both of your kitties do well on the Interferon treatment. You are being a great meowmy to them.

emily-jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have both my cats inside and out outside, the only reason my cat has been immunised was cos i got him from a shelter.

My other cat has never been immunised or been to the vet except for when she was de-sexed, i don't even treat my cats for worms.

I have never been immunised either, my mother doesn't believe in it.

People may not agree with me, but i have a perfectly healthy 14 year old cat who still acts like a kitten.

And perfectly healthy 3 year old who is not so much like a kitten.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I don't understand is how some of my friend's cats seem to be healthier than mine. I have a very close friend and she is so cheap when it comes to her cats' health care and nutrition. She has been buying Alley Cat and Cat Chow for years but both of her cats are about 14 or 15. She hasn't taken them to the vet in about seven years because she feels if they're not sick, then why bother. When her cat developed an abscess, she couldn't afford to have it lanced, so she just put a shirt over him (I'm not making this up!). It drives me nuts! I recommended that her cats receive FIV, rabies, and FVRP shots because her cats are now outdoors (they moved to a safe residential area) but she simply ignored me. She didn't want to spend the money, as always.

Meanwhile, one of my cats suffers from megacolon and the other has asthma. They both receive top of the line health care for every little problem and only eat premium foods. Yet, I feel so cursed because my poor Bussy can't poop without frequent interventions.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I honestly think fresh air and sun has ALOT to do with health. like how friends who work outdoors are usually in great shape. ive seen this true in many outside cats(spayed/neutered) great weight and shiny even if they are eating cheapest cat food...that and they can supplement diet;p I definatley cut back vet visits..first 3 cats went for yearly exams and two went through 3 kitten exams/shots(every 2-3 weeks) and both of them died earlier this year(not related about 8 months age difference) now the cats who had just one shot at time of neuter are all fine...24 inside from 10 months-14 yo

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had indoor / outdoor( trained to back or front yards) and well Zoey is only 3 but the one saw tweleve and the other s two saw nearly 19 ( 14 without any issues) and 19.5 ....

remember indoor are is FAR FAR worse in polluntents than outdoor air in a big city....

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, one is feral, Juno, and the other, Sweetie, I assume had a home because she was abandoned in a box with a kitten. She was friendly and accustomed to living in a house. The feral lived 4 mo. outside with her mom. The feral is healthier than the tame one. I also wondered why this is. Sweetie has had ongoing problems with runny eyes. Since I've had them, both have had their vac. on schedule. I believe the feral is stronger because she had to find her own food, hunt and eat what was available. Her mom is still outdoors and had 2 litters this summer. The vet will TNR but we can't catch her. She lived in a sewer this past winter. I guess having to scratch for survival makes them strong. After all cats are meant to be free. (mine are strictly indoors and I do feel sorry for them being trapped in our enviroment). Sorry for the long post.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes does make you wonder. Our barn cats never were sick. They got shots when they went in to be neutered/spayed but were never taken on a yearly basis. They were healthy and never even had fleas.

Makes you wonder why some have such a strong immune system. But the cats were pretty much isolated on the farm - we only had an occasional tom show up when one of the females was in heat before she got spayed. Yes we've had several litters, but one by one they all got fixed.

camille eonich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats and dogs are just like people. If they don't have an illness that affects the immune system then the more that they are exposed to the healthier their immune system becomes. If your immune system is not compromised then some dirt. germs and bacteria are actually good for you because it builds up the immune system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mcat

We probably just don't notice it with the ferals outside. Our inside cats are constantly there to be watched, so we notice every little thing with them. I hope yours are healthy and happy.
Well, I have 5 indoor cats, two of which have been diagnosed w/ FIP - and a bunch of outdoor strays that I feed - none of which seem to have any problems..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Did you bring this up because your cat is sick?
Yes. I have two cats that have been diagnosed w/ FIP - both who have had their shots. And a whole bunch of strays that I feed who all seem to be fine & healthy.

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

There is no good answer to your question. It is possible that we do notice illness and disease more with our cats than with the ferals. Knowing that both Winchester and Geronimo are FIP positive I understand how you feel.

Here are lots of hugs and positive vibes for all of you.
I hope both of your kitties do well on the Interferon treatment. You are being a great meowmy to them.
Thanks for your concern & kind words, Jean. I appreciate it!

So far, Winchester seems to be responding nicely to the Interferon treatment, but it's too soon to tell for Geronimo b/c he just started it - although he has improved since we took him to the vet Tuesday night. So I'm starting to relax a little..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

What I don't understand is how some of my friend's cats seem to be healthier than mine.

I have a very close friend and she is so cheap when it comes to her cats' health care and nutrition. She has been buying Alley Cat and Cat Chow for years but both of her cats are about 14 or 15. She hasn't taken them to the vet in about seven years because she feels if they're not sick, then why bother. When her cat developed an abscess, she couldn't afford to have it lanced, so she just put a shirt over him (I'm not making this up!). It drives me nuts! I recommended that her cats receive FIV, rabies, and FVRP shots because her cats are now outdoors (they moved to a safe residential area) but she simply ignored me. She didn't want to spend the money, as always.
IMO, she obviously doesn't really care about her cats, or she'd take them into the vet when necessary!
I can understand her not getting them their shots, but to lance a wound ON HER OWN!?
I can certainly relate to the money situation, b/c we're as broke as a cracked CD. But there ARE vets who will let you make a "payment plan"!

YOU care - she DOESN'T!

~KK~

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sending vibes for your kitties with FIP. i hope the interferon helps.

i used to let my cats out on harness and leash but we haven't lived anywhere that i could do that in a long time. they really enjoyed it when we lived in that apartment. we had the lower back apartment of an old house converted to apartments. we would sit out on the patio and the cats were on harness and leash on a dog tie-out. my MIL's last cat lived to 18+ yrs old and went out daily like that.

since we live in a 3rd floor apartment now i try to get the windows open as much as i can. we're having a heat wave now, but by the end of the month i'm sure i'll have the windows open again. the guys love the fresh air (and me too).

i think in an ideal world kitties would get out daily. they sure enjoy it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding the indoor/outdoor "theory", I really do think that most cats do better outdoors, than they do indoors. I don't think that cats are meant to be inside all the time b/c of their nature.
But most of us end up keeping them inside I think to try and keep them "safe" - not only from diseases, but also from hateful, cruel people who harm cats on purpose, and also in a road-related sense. You see so many dead animals on the roads..

Regarding the vaccine "theory", I'm beginning to have my doubts about THAT, too. I've had more problems w/ vaccinated cats than I've ever had w/ non-vaccinated cats. I posted more comments on this topic in my "Winchester/Interferon" thread if anyone cares to read it or make a comment.

~KK~