my stray is back in the house

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok, every1, this is weird.

the stray i wrote about inthe other thread came back int he house a couple of hours ago. she walk up to the refrigrator and started pawing at it like she wanted me to open it. i thought maybe she was hungry so i opened the frige door and guess what she did?

she climbed in adn lay down rite on top of the vegge drawr where she wuz y'day!

i couldn belive it b/c my other cats all like warm spots, not cold. has any1 ever heard anything like this b4?

-catgirl

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is strange. How hot is it where you are at? Maybe you can make a "cold bed" up for her by putting ice in a bag (preferrably a quiet one), and then putting a thin blanket or towel over it. That way, she can have the coolness she was seeking, without the oxygen deprivation of the fridge.

My cats seek out cool floors or areas in the house when its hot. I think, like us, they do reach a point where they just need to cool off and get comfortable.

Another thought, it could also be the quiet and isolation that your kitty is seeking. Maybe if you make up the cold bed, you could put in a dark quiet area too. That way, she gets both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thx for your great ideas!

it is a little hot here this week, 'bout 90 or so I think, so maybe thats it. ill try the cold bed idea and see what she does.

dont worry about the air in the fridge, i left it open a crak for her again just to see what she would do but i cant keep doing that to my frige or ill freak on my elec bill 4 sure, lol.

plus i do want to get her out of the frige. i love cats but shes a stray and i dont love the idea of her being on top of my rudabega like that! and the way she keeps licking and licking herself it's starting to ugh me out a little. ill probably have to clorox the whole frige tonight, lol.

does anyone know if its safe to put bleach on a rudabega if u wash it real good after?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i personally wouldnt bleach something i was going to eat. if anything i would throw it out.
hope the cool bed works.

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah, good idea. i tossed out the rudabega and had some chefboyardee for dinner instead. just seemed safer.

the good news is the cat likes me enough now to let me handle her. but she won't stay in teh cold bed. she keeps demanding to go back in the frige. she must like it there. i decided to let her stay the night there before i make it off limits for good. i knwo i prolly shouldnt but she seems to be starting to like me and i dont want her to be fraid of me again.

but she's really goin crazy with the lickuing now. its defintly oogy. all she wants to do is curl up in the frige and lick herself. i put some wather right outside the frige so she can come out to drink -- at least if she ever stops all that crazy licking.

my other cats lick of course, thats what cats do. but this is a lot and not like normal grooming. its mostly her belly and lady cat bits. kinda weird. i hope shes ok.

ill definitely take her to the vet tommorow.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another TCS'er suggest once to buy a stone cutting board like marble and chill it in refrig or freezer. I would then set on top of a towel on the floor and see if the cat would like that-you really don't want a cat in the refrigerator.
As for the veggie just rinse well under the faucet-your will be cooking it anyway!!

karl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
catgirl:

I'm not sure having a chronically licking cat in your fridge all night is such a good idea, for her or for you. That's going to be one ginormous fur ball she hocks up on your carton of eggs in the morning. Is that something you really want to see when you go to make your omlette?

The licking could indicate she has some kind of skin condition or irritation. I had a cat once that slept on a rag soaked in transmission fluid in the garage, and when she licked it off her coat she got quite sick. Fortunately, she recovered.

Anyway, give strong consideration to (a) taking the cat out of the Kenmore, and (b) keeping it separated from your other cats until you take it to the vet.

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catgirl2548m

my other cats lick of course, thats what cats do. but this is a lot and not like normal grooming. its mostly her belly and lady cat bits. kinda weird. i hope shes ok.

ill definitely take her to the vet tommorow.
The vet is a very good idea. Could she be pregnant? I've never had a preggo kitty but from other posts I have read it sounds like maybe...?

I don't know, just a thought. But definitely keep her out of the fridge, she is far from safe in there.

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow, this is going to have to be 1 quick post. she was pregnant! she just delivered a little kitten right between the carrots and celery in the vegie drawer!

om'gosh -- i've gotta call an all-night vet or smthing.

this is crazy -- i thought having 3 cats in the house was a lot!

will keep u guys posted.

-catgirl

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my god, get the kittens out of there immediately! They've got to stay very very WARM!

(BUT NOT IN THE OVEN FOR GOD'S SAKE! )

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow wow wow!

what a nite. i went from having my 2 usual furballs (a siamese named supernova and an aussie mist named vegemite) to now having 3 new cats. mama stray and her 2 new pretty kittys. i named the kittens rudabega and okra, but havent decided on a name for mama yet. whats a "norge", carolpetunia? i was thinking either "fridge" or "amana", lol.

so, when she had the first kitten in the frige, i got a hold of a vet who was able to tell me what to do. u were so rite! keep them WARM. but he wasnt sure about what to do with mamas weird frige behavior. he didnt want me to move her dring labor but he also didnt want kitties to be cold and he also didnt watn to seperate them from mama. so we decided to try to move mama to a warmer spot and see if she wolud be happy. so after the first kitty was born i just lifted the hole veggie drawer out of the fridge with mama and rudabega still in it and put it down on a blankit in anther room.

thankfully mama seemed ok with this change of scenry and just stayed put with rudie and stayd there until okra was born. it was all so amazing!

my other cats werent sure what to make of it at first but eventully they got used to it. vege normly likes to play pranks while supernova is lazy and just sits there all day. he lies and lies and lies and lies.

but both of them were intrested in the new cats and came over to check them out. every1 seemed freindly with each other so i think well be ok.

i couldnt hardly sleep after all that but im still wired this mornign. welcome to my new kitties!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Man.. I'm not trying to be insensitive or anything... but this is the funniest thing I've heard in ages! I'm picturing this in my head and it's just the best mental image I've had in a long time
I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!

Rudabega and Okra... omg... that rocks!
I'm with you on naming momcat "Amana"

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, yeah it is funny now that its over. i guess a preggers mamacat can do some strange things!

thank god she didn't have a bigger litter, tho. i might have run out of vegtabel names, lol!

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

lol, yeah it is funny now that its over. i guess a preggers mamacat can do some strange things!

thank god she didn't have a bigger litter, tho. i might have run out of vegtabel names, lol!
That is one of the weirdest things I've heard of in a while. I've heard that with pregnant ladies, they can get really hot and and uncomfortable. I guess its the same with pregnant kitty ladies too.

Cute names!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well if she had more, I think Arugula and Radicchio would have fit in quite nicely

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so glad to wake up and find the babies are okay!
And I love their names!

Norge is an old brand of refrigerator from the '50s, if I recall -- it's just such a funny word that I thought of it. But Amana is a much prettier name! Excellent choice!

So when do we see pictures?