Hair Length - which is he?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out if Riley would be considered a DMH or a DLH. Doens't matter really, just my own curiosity. His hair is fairly short on his head and back, but then gets really long at the ruff, belly, backside, etc.

Here's pictures. Any opinions appreciated!

Album 1

Album 2

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but I'd call him a DLH, like my Ginger. She has short to medium fur on her head, neck, shoulders and upper back like a Maine Coon does, but the fur on her tail is as long as 6-7 inches!

Of course, the shelter I got her from had her listed as a DSH.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tough call... it's like he's a DMH on top and a DLH underneath. Wickett is alot like that. Super short over his shoulders but medium to long everywhere else... and I call him a DLH.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I only consider cats shorthair or longhair so I would say he is longhair.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically is in the inbetween group - medium hair. Breeds that would be included would be maine coons, turkish angora, cymric (longhair manx), balinese/javanese (long hair siamese/colorpoints).

But if he were shown, you'd put him in the longhair group

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As it's summer, Riley's coat isn't at its longest; I'm going with Longhair, because I bet that in wintertime, his coat gets longer and his mane and tail really fluffs out. He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO handsome, btw! LOVE the ebony males! He is probably a black Siamese, too, btw -- that is, a Siamese parent and a parent of other lineage.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitytize is right - if its not shorthair, its really longhair.

In the HHP classes we would tell owners who are undecided to look at the tail - if its fluffy (even if body coat is not long), its a longhair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

As it's summer, Riley's coat isn't at its longest; I'm going with Longhair, because I bet that in wintertime, his coat gets longer and his mane and tail really fluffs out. He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO handsome, btw! LOVE the ebony males! He is probably a black Siamese, too, btw -- that is, a Siamese parent and a parent of other lineage.
hmm, I don't see any siamese traits to him, what makes you say that?? I can't wait to see how he turns out when he's full grown and winter fluffy
He's just over 8 months now, so still has some growing to do.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Kitytize is right - if its not shorthair, its really longhair.

In the HHP classes we would tell owners who are undecided to look at the tail - if its fluffy (even if body coat is not long), its a longhair.
Ok, so longhair it is! Thanks for all the info.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

hmm, I don't see any siamese traits to him, what makes you say that?? I can't wait to see how he turns out when he's full grown and winter fluffy
He's just over 8 months now, so still has some growing to do.

Ok, so longhair it is! Thanks for all the info.
It's the reddish cast in his mane. That's a telltale giveaway!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Easy and Ducky didnt fully grow in their manes until they were 1.5 years old. They were medium hair until then. I
Riley! He is so beautiful! And he always looks so peaceful.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Easy and Ducky didnt fully grow in their manes until they were 1.5 years old. They were medium hair until then. I
Riley! He is so beautiful! And he always looks so peaceful.
Your clowder are GORGEOUS.
And there's a Kiko in your family!
"My" Kikko was my "second feline brother", growing up; and a few years back, I rescued Kikko II from a life on the streets in our old neighborhood. He is now enjoying organic food and TLC in a kinder, gentler land to the North (if you've read my posts you know why, and if not: DIVORCE and FORCED RELOCATION TO A CITY, with its stupid quotas on how many cats one can care for. They don't know about The Nine, as they are indoor-only; but add twelve to that number, and it would not work, sadly. Wish we were still in our beautiful desert home with its 2.5 acres and its barns and cat-fenced compound! I MISS MY KIKKOs

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

It's the reddish cast in his mane. That's a telltale giveaway!
I had never heard that before. Strangely enough, his belly and his "britches" are almost silver!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's reddish cast have to do with anything? On a black, that's just "rusting" from being in the sun too much.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I had never heard that before. Strangely enough, his belly and his "britches" are almost silver!
He's a gorgeously handsome kittay, all right!
Can't wait to see some pix of him in full winter plumage.
He'll be calendar material!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What's reddish cast have to do with anything? On a black, that's just "rusting" from being in the sun too much.
I was just going to ask if it wasn't rusting. Happened to my Spritzer on her chest where she'd lay in the sun on the window ledge. Went away in winter.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I was just going to ask if it wasn't rusting. Happened to my Spritzer on her chest where she'd lay in the sun on the window ledge. Went away in winter.
Well, all the longhaired black Siamese I've ever seen have/had the reddish cast, year-round.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what I was thinking. He doesn't have much of a reddish tint, just a little bit on his ruff. He does have a silver belly and britches though, so I don't know if thats a "fever coat" kind of thing, or just his natural coloring.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black LH Orientals do NOT have red in their coats! If a black cat is sitting in too much direct sun (not thru window - but more if they have access to direct sun like in a backyard or screened window) they will get rusted in the summer. It has nothing to do with being siamese, part siameses or oriental

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think Riley is rusted, because he has no outdoor access, and very little window access. However, his fur overall has a slight brownish cast to it, rather than being pure black.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only other reason would be the present of a sable or chocolate in the background.

My black smoke rex (father was a chocolate - genetically the sable shade of chocolate) was black in the winter and chocolate smoke in the summer. The fur would turn very chocolate brown and she never sat in the sun or anything to "bleach" out.

We had a hard time figuring out if she was genetically a black or a sable smoke. The only conclusion was the fact that the father's color influenced the color changes. Never had another black smoke change color