TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Hair Length - which is he?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hair Length - which is he?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'm trying to figure out if Riley would be considered a DMH or a DLH. Doens't matter really, just my own curiosity. His hair is fairly short on his head and back, but then gets really long at the ruff, belly, backside, etc.

Here's pictures. Any opinions appreciated!

Album 1

Album 2
post #2 of 21
I'm no expert, but I'd call him a DLH, like my Ginger. She has short to medium fur on her head, neck, shoulders and upper back like a Maine Coon does, but the fur on her tail is as long as 6-7 inches!

Of course, the shelter I got her from had her listed as a DSH.
post #3 of 21
That's a tough call... it's like he's a DMH on top and a DLH underneath. Wickett is alot like that. Super short over his shoulders but medium to long everywhere else... and I call him a DLH.
post #4 of 21
IMO I only consider cats shorthair or longhair so I would say he is longhair.
post #5 of 21
Technically is in the inbetween group - medium hair. Breeds that would be included would be maine coons, turkish angora, cymric (longhair manx), balinese/javanese (long hair siamese/colorpoints).

But if he were shown, you'd put him in the longhair group
post #6 of 21
As it's summer, Riley's coat isn't at its longest; I'm going with Longhair, because I bet that in wintertime, his coat gets longer and his mane and tail really fluffs out. He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO handsome, btw! LOVE the ebony males! He is probably a black Siamese, too, btw -- that is, a Siamese parent and a parent of other lineage.
post #7 of 21
Kitytize is right - if its not shorthair, its really longhair.

In the HHP classes we would tell owners who are undecided to look at the tail - if its fluffy (even if body coat is not long), its a longhair.
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06 View Post
As it's summer, Riley's coat isn't at its longest; I'm going with Longhair, because I bet that in wintertime, his coat gets longer and his mane and tail really fluffs out. He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO handsome, btw! LOVE the ebony males! He is probably a black Siamese, too, btw -- that is, a Siamese parent and a parent of other lineage.
hmm, I don't see any siamese traits to him, what makes you say that?? I can't wait to see how he turns out when he's full grown and winter fluffy He's just over 8 months now, so still has some growing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Kitytize is right - if its not shorthair, its really longhair.

In the HHP classes we would tell owners who are undecided to look at the tail - if its fluffy (even if body coat is not long), its a longhair.
Ok, so longhair it is! Thanks for all the info.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
hmm, I don't see any siamese traits to him, what makes you say that?? I can't wait to see how he turns out when he's full grown and winter fluffy He's just over 8 months now, so still has some growing to do.



Ok, so longhair it is! Thanks for all the info.
It's the reddish cast in his mane. That's a telltale giveaway!
post #10 of 21
Easy and Ducky didnt fully grow in their manes until they were 1.5 years old. They were medium hair until then. I Riley! He is so beautiful! And he always looks so peaceful.
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Easy and Ducky didnt fully grow in their manes until they were 1.5 years old. They were medium hair until then. I Riley! He is so beautiful! And he always looks so peaceful.
Your clowder are GORGEOUS. And there's a Kiko in your family! "My" Kikko was my "second feline brother", growing up; and a few years back, I rescued Kikko II from a life on the streets in our old neighborhood. He is now enjoying organic food and TLC in a kinder, gentler land to the North (if you've read my posts you know why, and if not: DIVORCE and FORCED RELOCATION TO A CITY, with its stupid quotas on how many cats one can care for. They don't know about The Nine, as they are indoor-only; but add twelve to that number, and it would not work, sadly. Wish we were still in our beautiful desert home with its 2.5 acres and its barns and cat-fenced compound! I MISS MY KIKKOs
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06 View Post
It's the reddish cast in his mane. That's a telltale giveaway!
I had never heard that before. Strangely enough, his belly and his "britches" are almost silver!
post #13 of 21
What's reddish cast have to do with anything? On a black, that's just "rusting" from being in the sun too much.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
I had never heard that before. Strangely enough, his belly and his "britches" are almost silver!
He's a gorgeously handsome kittay, all right! Can't wait to see some pix of him in full winter plumage. He'll be calendar material!
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
What's reddish cast have to do with anything? On a black, that's just "rusting" from being in the sun too much.
I was just going to ask if it wasn't rusting. Happened to my Spritzer on her chest where she'd lay in the sun on the window ledge. Went away in winter.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
I was just going to ask if it wasn't rusting. Happened to my Spritzer on her chest where she'd lay in the sun on the window ledge. Went away in winter.
Well, all the longhaired black Siamese I've ever seen have/had the reddish cast, year-round.
post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
What's reddish cast have to do with anything? On a black, that's just "rusting" from being in the sun too much.
That's what I was thinking. He doesn't have much of a reddish tint, just a little bit on his ruff. He does have a silver belly and britches though, so I don't know if thats a "fever coat" kind of thing, or just his natural coloring.
post #18 of 21
Black LH Orientals do NOT have red in their coats! If a black cat is sitting in too much direct sun (not thru window - but more if they have access to direct sun like in a backyard or screened window) they will get rusted in the summer. It has nothing to do with being siamese, part siameses or oriental
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
I don't think Riley is rusted, because he has no outdoor access, and very little window access. However, his fur overall has a slight brownish cast to it, rather than being pure black.
post #20 of 21
Only other reason would be the present of a sable or chocolate in the background.

My black smoke rex (father was a chocolate - genetically the sable shade of chocolate) was black in the winter and chocolate smoke in the summer. The fur would turn very chocolate brown and she never sat in the sun or anything to "bleach" out.

We had a hard time figuring out if she was genetically a black or a sable smoke. The only conclusion was the fact that the father's color influenced the color changes. Never had another black smoke change color
post #21 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Only other reason would be the present of a sable or chocolate in the background.

My black smoke rex (father was a chocolate - genetically the sable shade of chocolate) was black in the winter and chocolate smoke in the summer. The fur would turn very chocolate brown and she never sat in the sun or anything to "bleach" out.

We had a hard time figuring out if she was genetically a black or a sable smoke. The only conclusion was the fact that the father's color influenced the color changes. Never had another black smoke change color
No idea about Riley's parents, either of them. He was a dumpster foundling His sister looks like him and he had a brown tabby shorthair brother, but that's all I know. Most of the time he does seem more brown than black when you look at him in good light. I have noticed though, that short hairs usually look "blacker" than a long haired black cat, lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Hair Length - which is he?