New Cell Phone

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so my cell phone bit the dust this morning (ok, maybe I got mad at it and accidentally broke it my throwing it at the couch). Anyway, I HAVE to buy a new phone today because it's my ONLY phone. If anyone needs me urgently they have my work # and as a last resort my husband's cell # but I don't like being with out. I have AT&T service and I LOVE motorola so any suggestions? I'm trying to look online but their site will only show me the top 10. I'm just aggravated... I hate phone shopping and if I want a "deal" I'll have to sign a new contract.

I could take my husband's old phone but it's older than mine and not much better.

So, what do you have and why do you like it?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try ebay. A friend of mine just got a sync in exc. condition for $110 shipped. But part of that was a lucky bid!
I have a moto razr v3 and I love mine. But it took a while to learn to use! I havent had any problems with it so far, minus it being slow if the battery is low. I got it in late may when I upgraded my contract for free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Try ebay. A friend of mine just got a sync in exc. condition for $110 shipped. But part of that was a lucky bid!
I have a moto razr v3 and I love mine. But it took a while to learn to use! I havent had any problems with it so far, minus it being slow if the battery is low. I got it in late may when I upgraded my contract for free.
I'd do a refurbish or ebay but I need it NOW. I can't wait for shipping. I've been looking at those and the MOTOKRZR. Sadly, I think I'll have to see what they have in the store. I hate having to do it this way as I usually like to shop around and take my time but as I said I have NO phone until I get a new cell... so the sooner the better.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you said you could use your husbands old phone, you could use it until you got a new one. And you could always rush ship. I had my phone get ranover by a car, tried to go to cingular and buy a new one and the cheapest they had was $135 and it was for a piece of poo nokia... So I used a friends old one for the last 5 months of my contract.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True... I might do that... I guess it depends on what they have in store. I just hope my SIM card will move all my contacts. This was so unexpected that there are #'s in my phone that I don't have anywhere else.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
um I know mine didnt, but I think each phone is different... Might want to ask if they can pull the numbers off of your phone when you go look in the store.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm personally a fan of Samsung, but Motorolas are good too. However I'm with T-Mobile.

I've heard bad things about the razor, from several people. However its all preferences. I would go to the store and play with all the phones and decide then. Also check out some cnet reviews or reviews on amazon.com. I often take into account user preferences as well as editorial.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will... but I don't think mine were stored on the SIM card. I'm going to call the store now and see if and how I can switch my # to my husband's old phone so I can take my time shopping for a new one.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'm personally a fan of Samsung, but Motorolas are good too. However I'm with T-Mobile.

I've heard bad things about the razor, from several people. However its all preferences. I would go to the store and play with all the phones and decide then. Also check out some cnet reviews or reviews on amazon.com. I often take into account user preferences as well as editorial.
Ya, I'm not opposed to a different brand (on a good recommendation). I love reviews so thanks!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it completely gone? Try wrapping a rubber band around it, that's what my sister did with hers and it still works.

If you can get it on, there are ways you can copy all the phone #s to your SIM card. You may have to look online for it though.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all you should have to do is put your sim card in it and it will work fine, well as long as it is an att phone. If not you might have to pay an unlock fee, I dunno.

Yea I was worried about getting my razr but I didnt have the money to pay for a new phone for one, and it was free, and the only other phone that they had for free was a nokia that 3 of my friends have and all 3 of them are having serious problems with them including one of their phones frying their sim chip!

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
take the most durable and resistant to ANYTHING cell phone-sony ericsson. i use mine for almost 2 years (K750i)..im a very emotional person....it hit the ground, walls, floor, once it accidently fell into the toilet lool i washed it with soap! and its still workin
just one advice: take any model u want, but the one that doesnt have a joystick, cuz it is the most vulnerable piece in the cell phone. i think walkman models are great

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Is it completely gone? Try wrapping a rubber band around it, that's what my sister did with hers and it still works.

If you can get it on, there are ways you can copy all the phone #s to your SIM card. You may have to look online for it though.
No, it's definatly a goner. LOL It's a flip phone and the top came detached from the bottom severing the electronic connection. It turns on and I can only assume it works but my display and sound is disconnected. If I could do it blind I probably could but I've never moved a contact from phone to SIM so I have no idea how. I might check on-line for directions and see if I can't try to do it blind.

all you should have to do is put your sim card in it and it will work fine, well as long as it is an att phone. If not you might have to pay an unlock fee, I dunno.

Yea I was worried about getting my razr but I didnt have the money to pay for a new phone for one, and it was free, and the only other phone that they had for free was a nokia that 3 of my friends have and all 3 of them are having serious problems with them including one of their phones frying their sim chip!
I'm not worried about transfer my service to his phone but unless I can find a way to get my contacts saved to my SIM all that will be lost.

Good to know about the Nokias.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got new phones. We decided to stay with Sprint. It was just easier and I haven't had problems with service. Just a couple billing issues. They were resolved. Anyway, I got an LG Fusic and Mike got a Treo. We are both pretty happy with them. I already have a spongebob ringer downloaded to mine.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I can use my hubby's phone and it's as easy as switching our SIM cards. I just need to go it to have them transfer my contacts. And there's NO charge for doing this. So, I can take my time picking out a new phone.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome glad that worked out for you!
Just stay away from the nokio 6102i I believe thats which one it was. Its a piece of poo! LOL! Good luck with your phone search! Hopefully you wont be stuck with a dino-phone for too long.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BF and I both have AT&T... I have a Nokia that came free with my plan and I can definately say to stear clear of them! It is so chimsy and cheap, I have had it since December and already need a new phone. BF just had to buy a new phone, he got an LG brand new from eBay for around $130 shipped. It is a great phone and I have heard other great things about the brand. I am partial to Motorola though since I had 2 of them in the past and they were the best and most reliable phones I have ever had... lets just say that they def. withstand water and emotional, um, outbursts! BUT, I have heard mixed reviews on the Razr, so you may wanna look into that a little more if you're interested in that phone.

And regarding your SIM... if your numbers aren't stored directly to the SIM and you are unable to do so blind you may never get them. I had a problem with that a while back and Cingular was not able to retrieve them because I had all my contacts stored directly to my phone and not the SIM. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I could be wrong, maybe they can do so now. It was about 2 years ago anyways.

Good luck hun!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Awesome glad that worked out for you!
Just stay away from the nokio 6102i I believe thats which one it was. Its a piece of poo! LOL! Good luck with your phone search! Hopefully you wont be stuck with a dino-phone for too long.
AHHH thats the phone I have and was talking about LOLOL (the 620i and 620 are the same, one is just a prepaid)

Nokia =

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually a little shocked that it was that easy. Hubby is charging up his phone now and we'll run to the store after I get out of class today to have my contacts switched. It may be old but it's free and it still works well enough.