Bad news FPV

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just received an e-mail from my local animal shelter re:
the vet they use and FPV. Seems she has had a litter of kittens in her E.R. clinic and also her office with FPV. This is also the vet I use since I got my cats from this shelter.I just had Sweetie in last week. The e-mail stated that the virus can remain alive in the facilities for about 12 months. Sweetie has had her shots and just had her booster last week so I'm not too worried. But this means I need to find another vet. If you research this virus its really wicked. One can pick up the virus on shoes from carpeting. Please everyone get your animals vaccinated.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what is FPV?? I'm a little confused as I've never seen that abbreviation. I know of FIV, FeLV and FIP....

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is the panleuk/distemper virus correct?

(Question, do adult cats need to be vaccinated against this regularly? Or just the first series as kittens?)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I think it is the panleuk/distemper virus correct?

(Question, do adult cats need to be vaccinated against this regularly? Or just the first series as kittens?)
huh! I've never heard it referred to as that

and you're *supposed* to get the distemper vax along with your other vaccinations I believe, like every 3 years? I think that's the new recommendation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is panleukopenia or feline distemper. I got the abrevation from a web site. I don't know how often the boosters need to be given. My papers for the shots last week are at home and I'm at work. I'll check tonight and make sure Sweetie had her booster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found out that the correct abrevation for feline distemper is FVRCP. AS I said before I got the wrong one (FPV) online from google. Sorry is I confused everyone.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

I just found out that the correct abrevation for feline distemper is FVRCP. AS I said before I got the wrong one (FPV) online from google. Sorry is I confused everyone.
FPV is the abbreviation for Feline Parvo Virus, which is the CORRECT term for what we call panleukopenia or feline distemper. The word panleukopenia just means 'low white blood cell count', and as such is a symptom of the disease, not the infectious agent, which in this case is FPV.

FVRCP is a combined vaccine, not a disease.