Opinions on Innova lite?

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story short: Overweight DSH cat (20 lbs.), on all-wet, mostly grain-free diet. She gets 1/2 of 5.5 oz. can in a.m., the other half in p.m. No dry food or treats.

I was on Pet Food Direct ordering natural cat food because she's getting low on it, and I saw Innova light. I know some of you are against "lite" food. It seems pretty good, although it as brown rice and alfalfa sprouts in there. It uses apple fiber.

Opinions? Good, bad, okay?

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lite foods are higher in carbs and that is why we are against lite foods. Carbs cause cats to gain weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE choice a quality indoor over a light

catitudes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TickyTat

Long story short: Overweight DSH cat (20 lbs.), on all-wet, mostly grain-free diet. She gets 1/2 of 5.5 oz. can in a.m., the other half in p.m. No dry food or treats.
Usually, the grain-free foods are MUCH higher in calories than the foods that have grains. This means we generally can feed smaller amounts of these high calorie foods, since they are so packed full of calories. Is it possible you are feeding too much of a high calorie food at each meal time? Perhaps by slightly lowering the amount fed per meal, your kitty will slowly shed those excess pounds?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

PLEASE choice a quality indoor over a light
Even for canned? I didn't think most canned foods came in an indoor variety?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Innova Lite I saw was a wet food. And I should've probably mentioned that she has only been on an all-wet diet for about a month and a half. She gained all that weight because I was an inexperienced cat mom and left food out for her all day, and gave her treats all the time. Now I know better and put her on the all-wet diet to help with her ongoing constipation issues, and I also heard that an all-wet diet helps them shed pounds.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you're already on the right track. She just hasn't had much time on the wet food diet yet. I would not use the Innova Lite; even the canned is pretty high in carbs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah evan canned light or lite is usually HIGHER in carbs ... Indoor canned actually mimics adult with some fat metabolizeing ingrediants to aid wt mgmt( I am speaking only premium
)