Help me with my Persian

sera heart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,im new here,so I dont know if anyone has written about Persians before.
My problem is that I got my Persian from the cat protection society last year.She is 3 now.
I really cant figure her out.Im not sure if its the way Persians are or its just her personality.
She always is so playful.Everything is a game to her.She will sit on my lap for almost half an hour and then wants to go in her special room.If she hears me inside she wants to come inside.But she wont just sit in a corner or on a chair,she roams around the house.She used to hop up on the kitchen benches and I used to say NO.I have to follow her around the house to make she doesnt jump on anything.
She also likes destroying things in the sunroom,boxes,paper,anything.She does whine alot but I dont know why.Shes very vocal and I dont know what she wants. She never miows until I come home.She always things Im going to hit her,as I try to pat her head she seems scared.I have never hit my cat.
If anyone can tell me more details about Persians I would appreciate it.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sera Heart

Hello everyone,im new here,so I dont know if anyone has written about Persians before.
My problem is that I got my Persian from the cat protection society last year.She is 3 now.
I really cant figure her out.Im not sure if its the way Persians are or its just her personality.
She always is so playful.Everything is a game to her.She will sit on my lap for almost half an hour and then wants to go in her special room.If she hears me inside she wants to come inside.But she wont just sit in a corner or on a chair,she roams around the house.She used to hop up on the kitchen benches and I used to say NO.I have to follow her around the house to make she doesnt jump on anything.
She also likes destroying things in the sunroom,boxes,paper,anything.She does whine alot but I dont know why.Shes very vocal and I dont know what she wants. She never miows until I come home.She always things Im going to hit her,as I try to pat her head she seems scared.I have never hit my cat.
If anyone can tell me more details about Persians I would appreciate it.
Welcome to TCS.
Here is a link about Persians:

http://www.thecatsite.com/Breeds/61/Persian-Cats.html

It sounds to me like your cat might be bored, and that is why she is jumping on things and destroying things in your house. Cats normally don't just sit in a corner, they like to explore things, even the more inactive breeds such as Persians. Does she have toys to play with, and do you play with her every day? One of my cats really like boxes and paper and will try to eat paper whenever we leave it out. We have to put away any important papers that we don't want chewed on. Maybe you could give her some crumpled up paper balls that are just for her to play with.

One of my cats also sometimes backs up when my hand comes in front of his face to pet his head. I don't know why he is scared (maybe he had a bad experience before I adopted him, I will never know), but he does let me pet him from the side or the back of his head. You might try this. Since you got your cat when she was 2, she may have had a bad experience with someone before you got her. Sometimes it can take a long time for cats to trust people, even though you did nothing wrong.

Also, some cats are just more vocal than others. She might not necessarily want anything other than to talk to you.

I hope that I was helpful to you.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly sounds like your cat is bored!!!!

Do you have toys for her to play with,, scratching post,, catnip,,

Cats are like little kids in essense,, they need things to keep them busy, just as much as the next person.. Like you,, you keep busy at work, and at home, so does your cat. If the cat is afraid that you'll yell at her everytime she wants to get up high, she might be a little scared of you. Maybe you might invest in a windowsill sleeper so she can be up high, or a cat tree.. My cats like to be up high. We have a blankets and stuff for them to sleep on on the back of the couch.

Cats are curious, no matter the breed,, she probably just has lots of curiosity.. and boredom,, especially since it's just her. And everything will be a game to her, because your the only being she has to play with... She doesn't have anyone else to play with,, your her entertainment.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I could see a video of your cat. My boyfriend has 2 Persians and your story baffled me. They too are playful, but only when he plays with them. Usually they just traipse around and sleep. I heard that Persians are very calm and affectionate. My boyfriend's cats always want to be on you or next to you. I think the other suggestions offered here are good ones. Just make sure you spend time with your cat every day and always be affectionate, don't punish her, even if she chews something she's not supposed to. Try to distract her by giving her a toy to play with.

Good luck, I posted a Persians thread in the pictures section... would love to see some pictures of yours!

Persian pics thread:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137143

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sera heart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate everyones input into my troubled Persian.I will try to give her more attention.Im trying to post some of her pics on here.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sera Heart

I really appreciate everyones input into my troubled Persian.I will try to give her more attention.Im trying to post some of her pics on here.
Ooh I'd love to see them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sera heart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can someone help me post my kitty's pics onto this forum. I cant seem to find a thread on how to post pics here.Thanks.

megagene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahaha. I have a Persian too and she behaves very similarly. She's curious as hell, likes to jump on things, crawl under things, and she meows so loudly and so much I'm afraid sometimes my neighbors are going to have me evicted. She's also extremely skittish. She'll meow for attention, but then when you approach her to pet her she'll run away and hide.
Unlike your cat though, my Kitty meows like crazy even when I'm not home. Thank goodness my two closest neighbors on either side of me are both cat lovers.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told that putting your hand out like that to stroke a cats head can be seen as a threat even though thats not how you intend it. I was just thinking if you imagine your down on the floor and someone is towering over you and putting out this giant paw towards your head, to some cats that must be a bit scary.

I`ve recently had a behaviourist visit me and my cats and here is a great tip she gave me that started working on day one. What she suggested was I wait for the cat to approach me or walk towards the cat and stop a few feet away. Squat down so your not so big and just rub the side of the cats head then stop and be still. If the cat then rubs on you, great, have a few more rubs but always stop before they get fed up and walk off.

Also, get something tasty that your cat loves ( I`m using chicken for this ). Offer the cat a small peice by hand but let it come to you. You can put it on the ground if they won`t take it from your hand. Then take a few steps away and offer some more. You should move away every time and let the cat come to you. It`s worked wonders on my cat!