New cup fascination

persai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For some reason a few weeks ago my cat has taken a liking to drinking water or w/e else may be in the cup. If there is a cup of water sitting on the table or wherever else she will get up on the table and stick her head into the cup and start drinking. If the cup is not filled enough she will knock it over. She acts as if its canned cat food. Thing is I always give her cold, fresh water everyday. Maybe its the ice in the cups?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver's got several designated places to drink in the house, and he uses them all, but he MUST inspect everyone's glass... if it's water and close enough to the rim of the glass he'll usually sample... lots of cats do this - I swear they just do it cuz they're not supposed to, haha

I would suggest only letting your cat sample water though... juices, sodas, alcohol, etc is not very good for them, even though it'd probably just be a small amount I wouldn't make a habit of it... water's fine though, or you could choose to discourage the behavior completely - up to you, I don't mind it but again, if it's anything but water Oliver turns his nose up to it, and I'm used to sharing people food right off my fork with my dog, so that aspect of it doesn't bother me or my family at all (I believe in the old "they've got cleaner mouths than we do" deal... whether it's true or not doesn't matter to me - they're family, haha)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is the glass-drinker in our house, I only wish I'd had a camera handy the time when he was a kitten and managed to get his whole body into an empty pint glass. Nowadays he can only just get his head in and it comes out with a pop!

Anything in a glass or cup needs to be investigated and tasted, this led to a vet visit once after he got steam in his eye from my cup of tea. I do let him drink water out of a pint glass although I usually hold it for him to stop him knocking it over or getting his head stuck in the narrow bit (he's part Cornish Rex so is daft enough to manage it!) and I do usually get myself a fresh drink afterwards - although I have drunk water that he has had his head in and I'm still alive and well

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's so funny! My cat does the SAME THING! She has a water fountain, and several other bowls throughout the house. But if she sees me carrying a class of water, she starts howling and screaming like it's a treat or something!

What stranger is that if it's milk or soda, she wants nothing to do with it. But if it's water, she'll lap it right up.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat drinks water out of a mason jar with plant cuttings in it. This sits on the sink. I'm forever making sure there is enough water in it. She is also a toilet drinker.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by deljo

My cat drinks water out of a mason jar with plant cuttings in it. This sits on the sink. I'm forever making sure there is enough water in it. She is also a toilet drinker.
Oliver was a toilet drinker at my apartment when I was still in school... now that we're back with my parents, we discourage him from doing it cuz my mom uses those tank tablets - but he still loves to sit and watch you do your business, then puts his paws on the seat to watch it all "go bye bye" haha... weird but cute - I guess he's trying to figure out why we don't go in a box and cover it up then scoop it into a plastic bag