Old shrimp

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH is about to eat shrimp that is dated for 08/05. I think he's nuts because I'm parinoid about food piosoning but he says it's OK. He is cooking the shrimp by the way. Heck, I won't even touch leftovers more than three days old.

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

My DH is about to eat shrimp that is dated for 08/05. I think he's nuts because I'm parinoid about food piosoning but he says it's OK. He is cooking the shrimp by the way. Heck, I won't even touch leftovers more than three days old.
Ick.. tell him you're not cleaning up when he gets food poisoning...

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If, and only if, he knows what fresh and not fresh shrimp smells like, I would say he's ok. They don't know FOR SURE when things are going to go bad. Milk can go before the date or after. It's just a guess. But even knowing that, I cannot drink milk once it hits the date on the jug! Wierds me out! I'm so crazy! I hope he doesn't get sick though and that it tastes good!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people think freezing something puts it into some magical state of stasis in which no change occurs -- but noooooooo, frozen things do deteriorate, and my gosh, TWO YEARS? He's crazy!

Sure hope he's okay, though...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, I just relized that people think the shrimp is 2 years old. Acctually the shrimp was dated for 8/5/07.
It was only like three days old.LOL!!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

A lot of people think freezing something puts it into some magical state of stasis in which no change occurs -- but noooooooo, frozen things do deteriorate, and my gosh, TWO YEARS? He's crazy!

Sure hope he's okay, though...
Are you by any chance a Dr Who fan?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your DH is asking for trouble. Better have 911 handy and the hospital number - I'd throw it out - its NOT safe to be eating - cooked or not!

Ok never mind - if the shimp is dated 8/5/2007 then its still good IF it was frozen - if it was thawed, throw it out.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, I just relized that people think the shrimp is 2 years old. Acctually the shrimp was dated for 8/5/07.
It was only like three days old.LOL!!!
I wouldn't eat it. I had 3-day old shrimp and scallops 2 weeks ago and I was sick as a dog.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I wouldn't eat it. I had 3-day old shrimp and scallops 2 weeks ago and I was sick as a dog.
Yeah, he cooked them and ate them and was fine. He'll eat anything.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I thought it was two years old! Did he get sick or was he O.K.?
No he was fine. I personally wouldn't have ate 3 day old shrimp but he's brave. I really don't like to eat anything more than 3 days old. I have a paranioa about getting food posioning. I've never had it but it doesn't sound fun.