Cat Grief

bigboy1069

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beloved cat Rascal (3 years) died last Sunday from a bladder infection. I have another cat Peanut who is also 3. Peanut has started to act a little squirrely. He is eating and using the litter box, but he likes to hang out in my room quite a bit which he has never really done before. My bed is where Rascal loved to sleep. I am convinced that Peanut is grievieng for his brother. I have let Peanut smell Rascal's collar hoping that the familiar scent might cheer him up. These are my first cats so I am somewhat uncertain as how to help Peanut. Any suggestions?

levvi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 2 cats that had been together for apprrox 5-6 years. when my sissy died my male cocoa hated us, he wouldnt answer if we called, he would leave a room if we entred after explaining to him where sissy was and showing him the grave he stayed the same. over a year later and no change, i finally let my heart break and found him a new home. he is over grieving and is living happy again...purrs and kisses with his new family. yes they grieve and i feel as bad as losing sissy was on me it was the same on him. they say people try to attatch "human feeling onto animals" but i believe they mourn , and mourn as deeply as we do. it would really help if they could learn to type or talk ....then i believe i could have helped cocoa get thru his grief. sending love you way

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I believe they grieve too and I'm sorry for your loss - I know how hard that is... I know it won't bring your kitty back or replace her, but maybe you should consider (eventually) getting another cat... yes, your cat is missing his brother specifically (and so are you), but he's also missing the companionship of another cat... once you'd feel you are ready, you could check out some shelters for cats available that are approximately the same age and possibly already used to being around other cats.... again, I've dealt with the loss of pets and have in the past swore I'd never get another *insert type of pet here* because it just wouldn't be the same, but my life was so empty without that companion and I know I'd be more miserable not having a new pet than I'd ever be just dealing with the loss of an old one.... I'm so sorry about your kitty just take comfort knowing he's no longer in any pain and is eternally in a place full of catnip, fuzzy mice and balls with little bells inside

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss, and sorry for Peanut. Yes, they grieve and it can be very hard to watch them and not be able to explain why someone is not there any more. My Wellington grieved for several weeks last October when his brother died. He went through the house looking for him, meowing and crying, and was off his food. All I could do was talk to him as much as possible, pet him, give him treats and try to keep him occupied. But he did not really recover until January, when he 'adopted' our stray kitten, Biscotte, and became her mentor and protector. That gave him a new lease of life. And she adores him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigboy1069

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know my post was quite some time age, but I am happy to report that Peanut is doing just fine. We ended up adopting a kitten shortly after my post and that really helped cheer Peanut up. It took about a month for Peanut to adjust, but he is back to his old self.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After my father died, Zane would wander through the house yowling. (He was very much father's cat.) It has been a little more than a year, and it has tapered off, although he sometimes will do it still. (Although I think it is as much to get my attention as anything else, truth be told!)

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
o yeah cats definately mourn. after i got hit by a truck, at that time Monster was the only cat. my bf said that for the first 3-4 days he would not eat, he was upset & thought his meowmy was gone forever. but with the advice of some members here, i gave him a tshirt i had worn, & told him to give it to Monster. he was so happy to have something that smelled like me, & carried that shirt around for days after it was given to him.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bigboy1069

I know my post was quite some time age, but I am happy to report that Peanut is doing just fine. We ended up adopting a kitten shortly after my post and that really helped cheer Peanut up. It took about a month for Peanut to adjust, but he is back to his old self.
that is great news! good to hear peanut is a happy boy again.

i have had 2 cats that have grieved badly after losing a loved one. both times it was the introduction of a new kitty that helped to ease the pain and bring them back to normal. i am a firm believer that if a kitty has had a close relationship with another then they will always need feline company.