More worries about my "babies"

jennywren93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I went to the pet store, on your advice in the "pregnant" thread and told them what was going on (Oreo, female cat) was even LOVING me to rub her tummy forEVER and BRUSH her- esp her bottom- and the very knowledgable (sp?) manager gave me some liquid de-wormer. The next morning I mixed it in with some very yummy wet food for both Oreo and Merlin (male kitten) in the proper dosages. It was obvious it upset their tummies, that night one had green diarreah on my blanket
I never SAW any worms come out, but they did have a couple looser stools. A couple days later Oreo's tummy is a lot less fat and she doesn't want her tummy touched again, and she is back to not wanting her bottom brushed! rofl! I will repeat the dose in 2 weeks as suggested just to make sure we got them all.

If any of you live in Middle TN (or the United States! lol) we are under a HEAT ADVISORY- today hit triple digits in TEMPS, not to mention the heat index! Our a/c is set at 74, and it is working great guns to keep it at 77/78 degrees! So, the last couple days the cats have been really lazy. Today I went to change out their litter, and noticed that there hasn't been much urine output (was ready to get rid of all litter and redo it!), and their bm's are pretty solid. Now, we switched to "the goodlife recipe" food a few days ago, so I wonder if that is why their poo is more ...ummmm.... colorful? (rusty colored throughout). I am also worried they are dehydrating, even though the house is at an evenish temp. Merlin (about 3 mo old now) slept from 4pm-9pm and only got up because I carried him to water and food. After he drank, then ate, he is trying now to play with Oreo.

But also, I was touching Oreo's feet today, and one seems a bit tender? She would let me touch the other 3 feet, but that one she would bite at my hand. I see no cuts, etc, so I am confused.

I gave them both a bath yesterday (what an experience!) and Oreo did great- not once did she scratch me or whine or anything- but Merlin was a bit more skittish about it, I am sure he will get better about it the more we do it. I am of course worried their behavior is linked to the bath and I made them sick! LOL

Can you tell I have never had cats before? ROFL!

Thanks for any advice!!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the name of the wormer you got from the pet store? If it was Hartz,that may explain why your babies aren't feeling very well. And if Oreo has been in heat and there is any remote possibility that she may be pregnant,you need to get her to the vet to be spayed. If she is pregnant, and has been dewormed without vet consultation,she could be in danger. Dewormers can be very dangerous,unless you get them from a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennywren93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

What was the name of the wormer you got from the pet store? If it was Hartz,that may explain why your babies aren't feeling very well. And if Oreo has been in heat and there is any remote possibility that she may be pregnant,you need to get her to the vet to be spayed. If she is pregnant, and has been dewormed without vet consultation,she could be in danger. Dewormers can be very dangerous,unless you get them from a vet.
The brand I got was D-Worm, and had I been able to afford going to a vet, to get her spayed and dewormed, believe me that would have been my first stop! I am not one of those owners who are lazy and don't want to spay or give their animals shots/proper medical attention. When our dog broke its leg, we took it to the E-vet! Dh's mom said that was crazy! We could have just wrapped it up ourselves for free! WE are NOT like that. These cats were thrust upon us at a time when we weren't financially ready for them. That is one reason why we haven't had BUT parakeets for the last few years! Because we want to be financially responsible for them. Believe me, getting her spayed is on the top of our list, but right now dh's work is rocky due to downsizing, etc- so who knows day to day if he is going to have a job, and we are just trying to do the best we can by these cats. We also have 3 real kids of our own, so we are working hard to provide for everyone now. Luckily I have caught some good sales with coupons and was able to buy higher end food for cheap, and I am so happy about that. Unfortunatly I don't think we qualify for the free spay/neuter programs in our area. We are planning on selling our house and moving, and when we do sell, we will be financially set, so then we will be able to get the cats all the medical attention they need. This was just a stop-gap thing to try to see if it would work until that point.

jennywren93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
boy are the cats full of themselves this am! LOL Merlin is finding that he loves to play in the bath tub? lol They played like normal this morning, maybe I am just fretting over nothing? I am soooo crazy! lol

jennywren93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize for sounding grumpy in my previous post, I just have a LOT on my mind recently, and taking proper care of my family is one of my #1 priorities, and that includes pets.

We have a lot of background stuff going on that doesn't include the cats (therefore I haven't bored anyone with it) but I will summarize what has happened since we got the cats:

1. We got momma and 3 kits 9 wks old- humane society, et al were full, so we ended up finding a great family for 2 kits to one very lovely family. We got the family from our neighbors who were moving to fl from tn. They also "gifted" us with their car to sell

2. we put their car on e-bay and it did sell for their price, but it turns out that it was a scam- the money orders were a fraud and we are still working with the bank to clear those out of the acct (luckily they realized the same day before we did anything with the cash, so we are not liable for any of it), but the family in fl was DYING for the money since they hadn't found jobs yet, so they are def out the money (and it is stressing me out for them!)

*about 2 days after we found out the money orders were fake we got a note from the city that we had to have all vehicles on our property properly licensed within 10 days! This car (our friends) doesn't have a license plate! So, I had to call and talk to the city and tell them about our situation!

3. DH's work is going through financial turmoil- downsized 2 times in the last 6 mo- and this week the stock prices took a nose dive after they announced 3rd quarter earnings monday. We are PRAYING for them to downsize dh so we can get his "package" and we can get on with life and we are ugently looking for a new job for him- we are taking the opportunity to find a job in his "dream city" - Orlando, FL, but it is going slow for now. Anyone know of a Network Integrator position in that area, let me know! In or around that area- we are not picky!

4. We are also working to fix up and sell our house, of course, and we homeschool, so we wanted to be down in FL before school started so we could just put the kids in public school at the beginning of the year, looks like it is going to be mid-school year now. And just selling the house would take care of all our bills, and THEN SOME.

So, this morning when I read the reply I had just gotten done looking at our accts online, was stressed over that, all that is going on, and I just felt like I was getting my hands slapped by the principal for not getting the proper attention for my pets, when what I REALLY want to do is give it!

So, to the original person who replied to me, I am so sorry, please accept my apology?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who?? ME?? No apology needed! I totally understand! I wasn't trying to lecture you,only warn that over the counter dewormers are dangerous and that giving them to a possibly pregnant cat can sometimes cause deformities or worse in the unborn kittens. I know how hard life can be sometimes,believe me!

jennywren93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Who?? ME?? No apology needed! I totally understand! I wasn't trying to lecture you,only warn that over the counter dewormers are dangerous and that giving them to a possibly pregnant cat can sometimes cause deformities or worse in the unborn kittens. I know how hard life can be sometimes,believe me!
Thank you, I appreciate you very much. I had orginally posted to the pregnancy forum because she LOOKED pregnant, but I didn't see HOW she could be pregnant because she had only been outside less than a handful of times, and for less than 30 min each time, and never had a seen the presence of other males!