To the Stranger Who Just Screamed At Me

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was driving, and you were wanting to walk across the road by Beacon Hill Park, and even though you were only about four meters from a crosswalk, you decided you wanted to cross right where you were. I did not stop so you could jaywalk, so your reaction was to start screaming obscenities at me.

When I moved to BC five years ago, I studied the driver's handbook and rules. It stated that all drivers must stop for pedistrians on crosswalks. It also stated to NOT stop and encourage pedistrians to jaywalk.

If I had stopped, I would have been in the wrong, I would have broken the law, and I could have been ticketed and fined. If you want to jaywalk, that's your business, but sheesh, wait until it's clear and don't expect for traffic to illegally stop because you don't feel like walking a few feet to the crosswalk.

And get a grip, lady, and stop screaming at others just because you are ignorant or lazy.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And knowing that area a little, I'm guessing that the crosswalk a few feet from her was one of several not very far from her. Don't you just love folks like that!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The way Canadians act as pedestrians is one of my big pet peeves. I won't get off on a rant here, but as I tell my DH, these people wouldn't last 5 minutes in New Zealand!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The lady was wrong and was probably in a hurry. You must have shocked her to her senses.

I am not sure but I think law or not it is common sense to stop for any pedestrian who steps out of the safety of the sidewalk, to avoid a worse scenario. I once stopped for a couple of jaywalking teenagers and the driver behind me horned and yes, screamed some. But believe it or not a motorcycle cop who witnessed the whole thing actually "talked" to the driver behind me waving at me to go ahead. He also "talked" to the teenagers. It seemed that the cop believed that if the guy behind me was in my shoes, he would have ran over the kids. This happened in San Francisco.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, it's not just WVU students that step out in front of cars?!!! I usually don't stop for them unless I have to, but usually I have to unless I want to mess up my bumper.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I was driving, and you were wanting to walk across the road by Beacon Hill Park, and even though you were only about four meters from a crosswalk, you decided you wanted to cross right where you were. I did not stop so you could jaywalk, so your reaction was to start screaming obscenities at me.

When I moved to BC five years ago, I studied the driver's handbook and rules. It stated that all drivers must stop for pedistrians on crosswalks. It also stated to NOT stop and encourage pedistrians to jaywalk.

If I had stopped, I would have been in the wrong, I would have broken the law, and I could have been ticketed and fined. If you want to jaywalk, that's your business, but sheesh, wait until it's clear and don't expect for traffic to illegally stop because you don't feel like walking a few feet to the crosswalk.

And get a grip, lady, and stop screaming at others just because you are ignorant or lazy.
Oh cr*p, she found me

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Oh cr*p, she found me
I was going to say something like that too!

I agree though it is sick how we treat pedestrians, not just Canadians, also the US. Here in MI pedestrians ALWAYS have the right away, so even if they're crossing in the wrong spot or jump in front of your car without looking, it's still your fault.

It all goes back to "Letsee who will hurt who the most: the 1.5 ton vehicle or the 150 lb woman walking across the street."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't almost run over her - I would have stopped first. Well, at least until she started screaming at me.

It's a pretty high-traffic road, both pedestrian and auto (and bicycles and horses-and-carriages) and all the other pedestrians there managed to get to a crosswalk. rapunzel47, you are right, there's a crosswalk about every half-block in that area.

I don't know her story, maybe she really had to pee or something, but she was way out of line to start screaming.

%$&*# tourists. Sorry, had to get it out.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

there's a crosswalk about every half-block in that area.
I dont drive, but since meeting Tristan i have appreciate drivers more (well, the sane ones at least) how hard is it to walk 10 metres further down and cross at the lights where it is safe? Unfortunately for me the lights are a bit of a walk away when i get off the bus on the other side of the road. And since my leg has been hurting i dont want to go that far. But i dont walk out in front of cars. I wait till there is a sufficiant gap to cross.