Why can't he just use the backyard?

mika8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm kidding of course,

I've been trying to figure out what the most popular/best litter is for my little guy and needless to say, am a bit perplexed. Their are fans of the clay kind and fans of the more natural kind and fans of crystals and then of course there are the various brands that all promise great things. Currently, I have Simon on the Arm and Hammer brand, which is I guess is considered clay and clumping? He's fine with it and I'm basically happy save for the dust and tracking all over the place but I recently read that it can be dangerous for kittens; he's roughly 3 months old. Then there's the non-clumping litter, which I don't understand: does that mean that when the cat does his business, it just sits on top of the litter? Or falls through?

I tried asking someone at Petco recently and the conversation went nowhere. I also discovered deoderizer; does it work and is it necessary? Simon is a litter flinger, which I had never heard of before and is that normal? I mean, he gets in his box and just has himself a good time throwing the stuff around, lol. Also, I know litter can be dangerous if cats ingest it, what about dogs? Not that my dog is eating out of the pan, but she walks past it and it sticks to her paws and then she cleans her paws.

How often do people completely clean out their litter boxes? As in emptying it out completely, washing the pan, etc.

Thanks everyone!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i use tidy cats crystal blend clumping. i have littermaid automated boxes. i never completely clean them out, i just replenish the litter as needed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use natural litters for that reason plus better for kitty and enviornment...

You might try feline pine or wood stove pellets... NON clumping but most cats and dogs dont sample

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a wide variety. Swheat, A&H High Performance, Tidy Cats, Special Kitty clumping, Hy Vee brand($4.88 for 30 lbs!!!), Target's brand..... It depends on what you & your kitty likes. I prefer non-scented, but can only find that in Tidy Cats & I don't like how it doesn't clump well!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's always going to be a compromise with cat litter - some are good for the smell but track, others clump well but aren't too good at controlling the smell etc. I use a clay clumping letter and am happy with that. Sure it tracks but not too badly and I just have to hoover a lot! Clay clumping litter is ok with kittens so long as they dont eat it. Small kittens tend to play in the litter tray and sometimes eat it which is not good with clay clumping litter as it will clump in the stomach and form a blockage. You could try a corn based clumping litter such as worlds best if you're worried about your kitten eating it.

I empty and clean out the whole pan once a week, but I don't throw the scooped litter away. I just empty it into a bag and then return it to the cleaned tray.

xman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the best cat litter. It absorbs odours like nobody's business which is good for you and your cat. It is also all natural and totally biodegradable and flushable. Oh, and it's the best value for your money because it lasts so long. Try it and tell me I'm wrong.

X

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are so many litters out there, no wonder it's confusing. I am a traditionalist and use the big, unexpensive bag of clay at WM.

I used to buy that baking soda with the scent for litter boxes, but, I just hate using anything un-natural on my natural cats. So, I put in extra time
to make sure those boxes are cleaned out daily and emptied once a week, washed, and reloaded with clean litter. With three boxes and 2 cats sometimes I cheat at the cleaning thing.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Tidy Cats scoop, and also Walmart Special kitty scoop (crystal blend), Target scoop, and Schnuck's brand scoop($2.50 for 15 lbs). It all depends on the budget and where I get that month.

I was using strictly unscented for a while but with the humidity here I was going through litter way too fast. I get an extra week if I can get crystal blend/multicat type litter.

I completely change our boxes every 3-4 weeks. I scoop them 2-3 times a day.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Feline Pine. I scoop twice a day and wash out the boxes once a week. The manufactor says you don't ever have to throw out the unused litter but I do once a month.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I use Feline Pine. I scoop twice a day and wash out the boxes once a week. The manufactor says you don't ever have to throw out the unused litter but I do once a month.
I do the same, I do a complete dump of the litterboxes once a month & do a washdown and sanitize of the box and do a fresh fill.

I know I scoop a few times every day... but still... there are the tiny granuals that escape the scoop that I'm sure had potty matter on them, plus they scrape to the bottom and potty on the bottom of the box... its gotta be cleaned...

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

I know I scoop a few times every day... but still... there are the tiny granuals that escape the scoop that I'm sure had potty matter on them, plus they scrape to the bottom and potty on the bottom of the box... its gotta be cleaned...
Ugh I KNOW!!! I hate that!!!! I try and try to get it all...but my babies seem to like to do their business on the box instead of on the litter in the box and I'm scraping away and little pieces always escape.

I'm trying to find a good balance, but as it is, I'm scooping twice a day and doing a complete cleaning once a week...with complete wash, sanitize and new litter.

If only it were easier.

Man oh man it's expensive!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xman

This is the best cat litter. It absorbs odours like nobody's business which is good for you and your cat. It is also all natural and totally biodegradable and flushable. Oh, and it's the best value for your money because it lasts so long. Try it and tell me I'm wrong.

X
Do petsmart and petco carry that? Where do you buy yours?