So that's how you save money on your internet and phone!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
A few weeks ago, I called my internet provider to upgrade my service to high speed cable. They said it would cost me $50 a month (up from $30 I was paying for regular cable)
I said that was too much.

So I shopped around and found another provider that uses the same network but charges $40 for the same service (plus $50 installation fee). Their phone was also cheaper. I decided to go with them.

Today, I call my current internet provider to tell them to cancel my subscription. They asked why and I explained it to them.
The man talked to his supervisor and said he could offer me $30 off the first 6 months on the internet and 2 months of free phone. So I stayed with them after all.

Compared to the other provider, I'm saving $175 for the year. Compared with what I would have paid if I had just stayed with my provider without threatening to leave, I save $220 for the year!!

You can be sure I'll "cancel" my service every year from now on!

(no worry, I'll make sure to have a backup plan when I do that)

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be forever cautious about deals the cable/internet/phone company offers me.

When we moved to a new city, we were offered phone and internet in a reduced bundle package for six months and two months of half priced cable...when the bill came, we were charged full price for EVERYTHING.

We're still trying to fix it, everytime we call the proper supervisor isn't in or whatever excuse and we have to wait to be "called back".

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to a cable bundle that included phone service in March. Upgrading my cable internet, continuing my cable TV and adding the cable phone service costs me $121/month now. Before I was paying $104 for cable internet & TV and $89 to MCI for phone with unlimited long distance. I've had multiple issues with my cable phone service. For the first month I had an echo on the line...which took 3 house calls to finally resolve. I've also had issues with calls I make not going through, my line being busy when someone tries to call me (and I'm not on the phone!) and not being able to access my voice mail. I'm not convinced that it's all it's been hyped up to be. Oh, and always remember....if the power goes out, you will not have phone service because the phone modem runs on electricity. So it might be prudent to also have a cell phone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I switched to a cable bundle that included phone service in March. Upgrading my cable internet, continuing my cable TV and adding the cable phone service costs me $121/month now. Before I was paying $104 for cable internet & TV and $89 to MCI for phone with unlimited long distance. I've had multiple issues with my cable phone service. For the first month I had an echo on the line...which took 3 house calls to finally resolve. I've also had issues with calls I make not going through, my line being busy when someone tries to call me (and I'm not on the phone!) and not being able to access my voice mail. I'm not convinced that it's all it's been hyped up to be. Oh, and always remember....if the power goes out, you will not have phone service because the phone modem runs on electricity. So it might be prudent to also have a cell phone.
Actually, the modem has back-up power built in so unless there's a long power outage, I'm fine.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Actually, the modem has back-up power built in so unless there's a long power outage, I'm fine.
You know, now that you've mentioned it, I think I remember them saying that to me also. Thanks for reminding me!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez! Between my telephone (basic service, unlisted number, $5.00 per month for my long distance plan, and no call waiting or enhanced features), DSL Cable and Digitial TV, I pay $150.00 per month!!!! If I use *69 or 411 service or make long distance, that is all extra.

I think my DSL is $45.00 per month
I think my Cable is $60.00 per month
The rest makes up my telephone.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phone bill $35/month
Internet $10/month-only dial up available in my area currently
No cable/satellite (don't want it)