Siamese mix YOWLING

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not been here in awhile. My male kittens are a year old now and the Siamese mix is constantly talking.

I need to know if there is anything that can be done to help him not talk so much night and day, or if this is just somethng we have to learn to live with.

He is a mix, was born in the wild (outdoors) and I rescued him and his brother.

I tried the search feature and found nothing on this, which is hard to believe, but pls, if you can direct me even to old discussions, much appreciated.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

I have not been here in awhile. My male kittens are a year old now and the Siamese mix is constantly talking.

I need to know if there is anything that can be done to help him not talk so much night and day, or if this is just somethng we have to learn to live with.

He is a mix, was born in the wild (outdoors) and I rescued him and his brother.

I tried the search feature and found nothing on this, which is hard to believe, but pls, if you can direct me even to old discussions, much appreciated.
I have a lynx point siamese mix, so I am speaking from experience here.

Yes, siamese are VERY vocal. It is definetly something you have to live with and appreciate! There are a few things that you can do to 'try' to minimize it some- but definetely not all!

Make sure you spend PLENTY of time with him, giving him attention, love, and lots of kisses! They require lots of attention. I would invest in plenty of toys, scratching posts and even more toys!
My PHX loves those plastic rings off of the milk jug!

Get interactive toys as well as toys he can play with on his own. That way there is always something to do. I like to play with PHX right before bedtime so he's tired during the night and lets me sleep!

Always, Always, Always make sure there is water out... and that you feed at the proper times. Otherwise you will hear about it.

Other than that, you just have to appreciate it!
Good luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is he neutered? He could be yowling to go out, but obviously don't let him if he isn't neutered!

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ceasar yowls through the night running around with toys in his mouth, not sure how he does it but he does! So other then the Neuter thing I would say that's normal.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's not neutered - get him done! Siamese type of cats are almost always little chatter boxes. Its their special trait. If you don't like a cat that talks a lot, then maybe you need to find him another home. There are quieter cats and breeds. Siamese, oriental, rexes all are pretty much talkers.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has Siamese in him then you will probably just have to learn to put up with it (assuming he has been neutered, intact cats do yowl and call when they are wanting a mate).

Sonic my Oriental is a real talker but I find it extremely endearing and spend a lot of time having conversations with him, sometimes where I'll speak in human and others where I'll mimic his sounds, which he really seems to enjoy (I don't know what I'm saying to him but I think he appreciates that I make an effort to learn his language
)

He spent last night following me around with his little face looking up at me going 'WOW?' 'WOW?' 'WAAAAAH?' 'BREEEEEOOOOWW?' - I have no idea what he wanted tbh but he really enjoyed the attention he got and I am more than happy to encourage him to talk to me, I'm used to parrots and trust me a noisy cat is 100 times quieter than the quietest parrot

I really like the vocal interaction with him

xman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend Bruce had a cross eyed Siamese he named Mouthy. Boy was that appropriate, even for a Siamese. Count your blessings he doesn't yowl incessantly.

X

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My siamese mix is quite vocal but the odd thing is she seems to have taught
my russian blue mix to speak up too. Natasha comes right up to me and yowls when she wants to be petted. Very strange I thought russian blues were supposed to be quiet.

I don't really mind-as long as they are quiet at night.

dizzydesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one thing I've learned with my meezers is talking to them is a necessity. I've heard that the best thing to do when a child has a temper tantrum is to ignore them so they don't learn they can yank your chain [obviously I have no two legged children
] With my meezers, I've found the opposite is true, ignore them and they will only go up in pitch and yeow longer. Nothing will ever stop their chattiness [but then too it's one of the things I love about the breed] but I've found lots of attention does help keep it from the nerve scraping level.