I Am Never Going To Love Another Cat Ever Again!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, I had to call my b/f at work to come home (he had the car) b/c we had to make an emergency run to the vet b/c Geronimo had a coughing/gagging/wheezing/choking attack that just came out of nowhere (much worse than Winchester ever had). He was just fine prior to that, being his usual "bratty" self, and then BOOM! Thank God I was able to get ahold of the vet (it happened after normal business hours: why do these things always seem to happen after the vet closes, or on a holiday, or when the vet's out of town??). Anyways, the vet met us at the office, and thank the Lord he did, b/c Geronimo probably wouldn't have made it through the night..

It turns out that Geronimo is also FIP positive, and just like Winchester, will have to be on the Interferon for the rest of his life.
The vet gave him shot of penicillan, an antihistamine, and something else which is supposed to clear the fluid out of his lungs. He also has to take Clavamox for ten days, and something called Furosemide for a week. And the Interferon for the rest of him life, to help keep him in remission once the cr@p in his lungs clear up.

Needless to say, I am just heartbroken: when I heard the "bad" news about Winchester, it was bad enough. But I'm just devastated over hearing that Geronimo has the FIP too.
I am really attached to Winchester and love him to pieces, but Geronimo is really "special" and I love him beyond reason. I know it sounds crazy, but there is just a special bond between Geronimo and myself. It's been that way ever since I first got him: some cats just have that effect on you - I don't know why. I love ALL my babies w/ all my heart, but I'm really "hooked" on Geronimo. I would be just devastated if I lost him..
My heart can't take this anymore..

He seems to be doing better today: at least the coughing/gagging etc. has stopped. But you can still hear the fluid in his lungs, and he's still not feeling well - you can tell just by looking at him. I reckon it will take a few days before he's back to normal, and I'm trying to keep my hopes & spirits up b/c the Interferon seems to be working for Winchester so I'm presuming it will help Geronimo too. But I'm worried, b/c Winchester NEVER had an attack anywhere near as bad as what Geronimo had last night..

I am NEVER going to love another cat EVER again! It just hurts too much when something like this occurs.

Please pray for my babies, y'all.

Thanks for listening

KittKatt

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Geronimo had gotten sick also
you and he and Winchester will be in my thoughts.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots of healthy vibes for your kitties.
And I know what's it's like to have one that there is a special bond with. That's how I feel about my Jordan (he's 4 & might have cancer). In my experience the special ones seem to pack lots of love & spunk into a much shorter life span and that is very hard. Sending many (((((Hugs)))))) your way.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so amazing how these little critters become such an important part of our lives. It is so devastating when we hear that the ones we love are sick. I truly hope your babies, especially Geronimo, get better and live happy lives. Thank goodness they have you to be there and be strong for them

You and your babies are in my thoughts.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good vibes coming to you from me and mine. It is heartbreaking when we can't make them well, but I hope both your kitties live long happy lives on their medicines.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry sorry this happened to your two cats. But please don't say "never again". We never know what life brings. Just love these two and in the future you will have another special kitty with no problems

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awe I'm sorry to hear that. But I agree... never say never. Give your kitties all your love... & you never know what life sends your way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

But I agree... never say never.
I've said "never again" before - first after I lost Foxy to an inoperable brain tumor, and then when I lost Damian to a sudden death in which the vet didn't know the cause of (he thought it was a stroke, but couldn't be sure unless an autopsy was performed) - and here I am totally "addicted" to Geronimo, Winchester, & Maverick. But this time, I mean it: my heart can't take it anymore.

Thanks peeps, for your kind words & sentiments. I really appreciate it.
Only a fellow cat-lover can understand the agony that a tragedy like this can bring.

Geronimo's feeling a little better, I think: he's been eating and drinking, and I gave him a tuna-treat as a "reward" for being a good boy and taking his medicine w/o too much of a struggle.
I guess all I can do for now is keep a close eye on him and continue w/ his meds, and pray like crazy.
it's in God's hands, now....

~KK~

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh hunny I am so sorry.

I can feel your pain with this, We just lost our little kitten to this awful awful illness. It was totally heartbreaking. We only had the little lad a week but it's nuts how attached you get to them.

I can't even consider thinking about what it would be like having had them for years.

Please stay positive, I know it's hard, but at least they can be treated for it and be made comfortable.

hugs

Originally Posted by KittKatt

Last night, I had to call my b/f at work to come home (he had the car) b/c we had to make an emergency run to the vet b/c Geronimo had a coughing/gagging/wheezing/choking attack that just came out of nowhere (much worse than Winchester ever had). He was just fine prior to that, being his usual "bratty" self, and then BOOM! Thank God I was able to get ahold of the vet (it happened after normal business hours: why do these things always seem to happen after the vet closes, or on a holiday, or when the vet's out of town??). Anyways, the vet met us at the office, and thank the Lord he did, b/c Geronimo probably wouldn't have made it through the night..

It turns out that Geronimo is also FIP positive, and just like Winchester, will have to be on the Interferon for the rest of his life.
The vet gave him shot of penicillan, an antihistamine, and something else which is supposed to clear the fluid out of his lungs. He also has to take Clavamox for ten days, and something called Furosemide for a week. And the Interferon for the rest of him life, to help keep him in remission once the cr@p in his lungs clear up.

Needless to say, I am just heartbroken: when I heard the "bad" news about Winchester, it was bad enough. But I'm just devastated over hearing that Geronimo has the FIP too.
I am really attached to Winchester and love him to pieces, but Geronimo is really "special" and I love him beyond reason. I know it sounds crazy, but there is just a special bond between Geronimo and myself. It's been that way ever since I first got him: some cats just have that effect on you - I don't know why. I love ALL my babies w/ all my heart, but I'm really "hooked" on Geronimo. I would be just devastated if I lost him..
My heart can't take this anymore..

He seems to be doing better today: at least the coughing/gagging etc. has stopped. But you can still hear the fluid in his lungs, and he's still not feeling well - you can tell just by looking at him. I reckon it will take a few days before he's back to normal, and I'm trying to keep my hopes & spirits up b/c the Interferon seems to be working for Winchester so I'm presuming it will help Geronimo too. But I'm worried, b/c Winchester NEVER had an attack anywhere near as bad as what Geronimo had last night..

I am NEVER going to love another cat EVER again! It just hurts too much when something like this occurs.

Please pray for my babies, y'all.

Thanks for listening

KittKatt

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m really sorry to read about your news......but I have heard that these kitties can live a long time if they are taken care of, get their meds, (don`t get into fights or mate) It sounds like you have his best interest in your mind and heart...and I hope you have him for a long, long time.
It`s really hard tho think of losing one of our precious little ones....but (unless we`re old ourselves) we usually do outlive quite a few of our furbabies.
I DREAD the day that something happens to any of our 3 boys too.....and also dread the thought of something happeneing to US first....I could`nt bear the thought of someone else having them but not taking care of them properly either.
No matter how long or short their little lives are ....they all deserve to be loved as much as you love yours. Their lives will have been SWEET to have had you for their owner....and so will the ones you will have in the future.
You can say "never"....but with those of us who love cats....eventually we just seem not able to resist another one....and we love that one like crazy too, for who THEY are. God always seems to open our hearts to love another of His precious creatures.
Best to you and yours.
You`re in my prayers!!!!
Linda

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

I DREAD the day that something happens to any of our 3 boys too.....and also dread the thought of something happeneing to US first....I could`nt bear the thought of someone else having them but not taking care of them properly either.

Linda
That's just way too weird!
Because last night, after we brought Geronimo home, I was telling my b/f the same thing! I told him I surely didn't want to be around to see anymore of my babies' passing, but yet on the other hand, I didn't want to go before they did, either, b/c I'd worry too much about who would take care of them and love them as much as I do!
That's not to say that my b/f doesn't care about them like I do, but I think he wouldn't "worry" about them in the same way: he wouldn't notice if whether or not they were sick, or not acting normally. He's got a big heart too, but not in the same way. I don't think he'd spend the money to take them into the vet if I wasn't around..

I totally agree w/ your sentiments, Linda!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Geronimo seems better today (at least he's getting his "bratty" attitude back again!
.), although he did have another coughing spell early this morning which woke me up around 6 a.m. (I hear EVERYTHING when it comes to my babies - kinda like a mother w/ her kids!). I thought it was Winchester have one of his attacks, b/c it sounded like him, but it was Geronimo. It wasn't as severe as the other day, but of course I'm still worried b/c whenever he's had a coughing attack before, it was cleared up by the next day w/ the aid of just antibiotics. With all the meds the vet gave to him the other day, you would think he shouldn't be having another attack at all. But I guess this time around, his condition is a whole lot more severe: I'll probably continue to worry for a looong time to come..
I'm also concerned w/ the fact that he didn't "whine" this morning while I was taking a shower: he ALWAYS whines when he can't get to me, and follows me everywhere, which he also hasn't been doing much of - he's mainly been staying under the bed most of the time - except to come out to eat & use the litterbox. I suppose it's normal considering the circumstances, but I still worry..
I am grateful that he has improved, but I reckon I'll continue to worry: I can't help it..

I think I now know why Geronimo & Winchester both have the FIP, but none of my other cats do....

None of them had any problems at all w/ Upper Respitory, etc. - that is, not until I had Winchester "fixed", and when I picked him up from the vet, that was when I adopted Geronimo (they had kittens they were giving away at the vet's office). It was a couple of weeks or so later when Geronimo had a coughing attack, which was diagnosed as UR: then Winchester "caught" it, and it's been back & forth ever since then between the two of them - only Geronimo only had two or three episodes, which were cleared up w/ antibiotics: Winchester's attacks became a lot more frequent, and the antibiotics weren't doing him much good. So the vet tested him, and that's when he was diagnosed w/ the FIP. I think that Geronimo had it all along, and gave it to Winchester (although some people think it's not "catchable", and some people do: I don't know - I'm certainly no expert. But I DO know that I didn't have any problems w/ any of the cats till then, and Winchester used to be an outdoor cat till I had him fixed: he didn't get sick till after I got Geronimo). Another reason I think the FIP came from Geronimo is b/c the vet's wife told me that they themselves had FIP cats (she told me this when Winchester was diagnosed) and I think Geronimo came from one of the FIP mother cats. I don't think they would have given away any kittens if they knew that any of the mother cats was a carrier, or if the kittens themselves were infected, but I do think that Geronimo did come from an FIP mother. Maybe I'm way off base on my "theory", but the FIP came from somewhere, and it came AFTER I adopted Geronimo..

Just my opinion. I've been thinking about the whole FIP thing a lot since Winchester was diagnosed, and it just seems to me that the pieces of the puzzle, so to speak, came together after I got the bad news about Geronimo....

Thanks again, peeps, for all your support & sentiments, and thanks for letting me "rant". I feel better just knowing I can share all of this sadness & heartache w/ people who understand..

KittKatt