TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Driving age?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Driving age? - Page 2

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I work for a car insurance company here's what I think: .
Would your insurance company actually sell an insurance policy to a 16-year-old if they were applying on their own behalf?
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Would your insurance company actually sell an insurance policy to a 16-year-old if they were applying on their own behalf?
Yes. I've seen policies for kids as young as 15 on a motorcycle.
post #33 of 43
I said 16 mostly because when I was 16 I was in a ton of different clubs and groups inn high school and so were my siblings plus we all worked at different places. It was hard enough with parents who worked full time to get to where we needed to go with our own car (we shared one horrible 86 celebrity that broke down more times then it ran), let alone with just 2. I don't think we would have been able to be so active or even have a job if we were not able to drive.
post #34 of 43
I say 18. But, I feel a 16 year old should be able to get their temp and be able to drive, as long as they have someone with a valid license in the car with them and no more than 2 other people in the car, this includes the valid driver. This would give them 2 years driving experience, before they are out on the road alone.
post #35 of 43
Honestly, I'm not sure. I was a very responsible driver at age 16 and it was a huge help to my parents. However, last year I was hit by a very IRRESPONSIBLE 16 year old!

I just think they need very stringent rules for people from 16-18. Last I heard, that horrible accident on the east coast that killed a car full of recent high school graduates was attributed to the driver texting on her cell phone while driving.

Of course, I've seen many irresponsible adult drivers too.....
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I don't think someone should be able to get their license until they have the means to make a payment on the car and pay for insurance, gas, repairs, etc. A parent giving their child a car does not give them any respect for the car and so therefore they will not do everything in their power to prevent it getting messed up. I bought my car 4 months before i actually got my license, which was at age 17, and I had to pay for my insurance and everything. So whether that's at 16, 18, or 30, you shouldn't be able to drive until you can handle the expense of driving
I actually disagree with that. While I see where you're going with it, my parents gave me one of their old cars when I turned 16. They paid for the insurance, most of the gas, and any repairs (car had been paid off long ago). Just because my parents gave me a car and paid with the associated expenses, didn't give me any less respect for the car. In fact, my parents always joked that I took better care of my car than they took of theirs.

Now, I do disagree with buying a 16 year old a brand new EXPENSIVE car
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora44 View Post
I actually disagree with that. While I see where you're going with it, my parents gave me one of their old cars when I turned 16. They paid for the insurance, most of the gas, and any repairs (car had been paid off long ago). Just because my parents gave me a car and paid with the associated expenses, didn't give me any less respect for the car. In fact, my parents always joked that I took better care of my car than they took of theirs.

Now, I do disagree with buying a 16 year old a brand new EXPENSIVE car
Sounds like you were a very responsible 16 year old
post #38 of 43
I don't think the age should be changed. But I do think there should be some better and longer length of driver's training.

I didn't get my license until I was 18yrs old and had to because my Mom broke her ankle (I was her chauffer). I didn't like driving. I grew up in the Twin Cities, Minnesota; and traffic was not fun when I learned to drive in the 90s.

I don't think kids should have to make car payments, insurance and buy their own car either. My parents wouldn't have let me buy a car if I was going to. They wanted that money to be saved for college.
post #39 of 43
I disagree with limited "practice driving" at a younger age with someone else who has a valid license in the car. That other person might actually be a distraction, and there's nothing they can do to prevent an accident. Things happen too fast today. Traffic is too heavy and moves too fast. It might have been good back in the days when a kid could go out on a country road and practice his driving without endangering anyone else but himself and a few fence posts or mailboxes. But it's not practical today. I think a person needs to get his initial driving experience OFF the road entirely by practicing in a driving simulator. Then in a driver's education car with a driving instructor. By that time, he's got enough experience so if he just drives alone or with a parent, he can go out in the real world and get some real driving experience without being too much of a hazard.
post #40 of 43
Here in Ohio teenagers are allowed to get their temps at 15 and a half but they can't get their license until they are 16. They start driving with a parent or guardian. They must complete 50 hours of driving with that parent/guardian 10 of which is night time driving and must have a notarized form stating so. They must also take driving school which is classroom and on the road with a driving instructor.

My daughter followed all this and had her license by 16 and half. (She would have had it sooner but due to my truck being stolen that slowed down things quite a bit) She is very responsible. She does not have her own car yet but is saving for one. She uses my second car and she pays for half the insurance and puts gas in it to get to work or to go shopping/movies with her friends.

My son on the other hand only got his temps six months ago and he is almost 19. He actually has his driving test scheduled on August 30th. Because he is 18 he did not need to take any driving school. He did have a friend teaching him and he has driven with me as well. I am glad he waited because he was not very responsible at 16 but I feel he is now. He is buying a car by making payments to his friends dad that was selling a car.

It really comes down to the person but I think they should change the law that any new driver should complete driving school. There are a lot of irresponsible 18 year olds that can walk in take the written test and then take the driving test and be on the road without any schooling about the laws. It is fairly easy to drive a car, it is the laws and the rules of the road that I feel are more important.

I also feel that children should buy their own first car even if a parent has a spare car to give them then have them make some sort of payments for it. It builds character to know you saved and bought something as big as a car. It also shows responsibility and when you buy something from your own hard earned money you are much more likely to take care of it.
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMarie View Post
I think punishing the majority for the bad seeds is extreme.

I was working full time at 17 and moving out on my own.

There are a lot of people age 16/17 out there who are working and need to be responsible for themselves...not everyone is spoiled and wreckless.
I'm hearing you, but the problem is that it's not "just a few" bad seeds it is LOADS of them. The minority are as responsible as you.

I overheard a girl who looked to be about 18 talking with her girlfriends a few months ago... she was talking about the cars she had totaled. Apparently the count was four, and three were her fault--deemed her fault by herself, her family, and her insurance company. The fourth was a rear-ending. She also almost ran over a woman in front of our safeway--her friends were laughing at that. Apparently her parents are just NOW debating whether they should take the cars away...

I could hardly believe it.

And that's the truth, I know a helluva lot of sixteen year olds and I wouldn't trust the vast majority of them with a bike or skateboard much less a car.
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
... her parents are just NOW debating whether they should take the cars away...
This is the parents fault, and only the parents fault. What the heck is this kid doing with a car, anyway? Surely they must have had some clue she was irresponsible before they even got her the first car.
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
This is the parents fault, and only the parents fault. What the heck is this kid doing with a car, anyway? Surely they must have had some clue she was irresponsible before they even got her the first car.
Because some parents can't see passed the fact that their child is anything but perfect.

I am a down to earth person and see my children for who they really are.

Do they have faults? of course they do.
Have they made bad desicions? of course they have.

They are still learning. I am not perfect either and have certainly made mistakes and made bad desicions in life. I can admit I have mistakes in parenting as well. Those things down come with a manual so some things are trial and error. We can only hope that none of the mistakes are big enough to put our children in harms way.

Some parents do not want to see the faults and mistakes of their children because they feel it will reflect on them as bad parents.

I don't feel I am a bad parent if my child makes a mistake but I would feel like one if I continued to let them make the same mistake over and over with out correcting their bad judgement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Driving age?