130 cats in one flat!!!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... look at those kitties jump and cry! I can't believe how clean her place is for having that many cats. I wonder what her story is and why that isn't considered a health code violation in Russia...

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1199

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They seem to be in decent shape considering. But that's only one room - where are the litter pans?????? And I really don't like the idea of just throwing food out like you are feeding chickens - how can you tell if the cats are (1) getting enough and (2) not eating??????

IMO its a "hoarder" - she might like homeless strays but I would NOT want 100+ cats in one house - no matter HOW big or small it is. How can you tell if one is sick or hurt?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG those poor cats look like they are STARVING!!!! Look at them jumping over each other - I agree, she is DEFINITELY a hoarder.

Where are the litter pans? Where are the water dishes? How does she vet them?

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

They seem to be in decent shape considering. But that's only one room - where are the litter pans?????? And I really don't like the idea of just throwing food out like you are feeding chickens - how can you tell if the cats are (1) getting enough and (2) not eating??????

IMO its a "hoarder" - she might like homeless strays but I would NOT want 100+ cats in one house - no matter HOW big or small it is. How can you tell if one is sick or hurt?
Just a couple comments on your reply... (if you don't mind
)

First of all, I don't really see it as if she's throwing food to 'chicken's. At least she's feeding them... personally I would have put it down in pans or something. I am just happy that these cats are being fed and are out of harms way on the streets.

I'm sure these cats are being fed enough, she's a crazy cat lady! Everything she does is for the cats! I'm sure she has food put down for every cat. If they aren't eating, they will get really skinny- then she will notice.

I am actually happy that she took in these cats.

Would you rather them be on the street?

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

OMG those poor cats look like they are STARVING!!!! Look at them jumping over each other - I agree, she is DEFINITELY a hoarder.

Where are the litter pans? Where are the water dishes? How does she vet them?
I'm sure all the cats don't stay in just one room... she might have some seperated. Who knows? We didn't see the whole house. She probably has a bedroom ready for ALL the litter pans?!?!

I don't really have all the answers, but at least they aren't on the streets...

How she vets them? I have no clue- that's expensive. She probably gets a nice discount!

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that is terrible. I agree with GoldenKitty. How can you tell if one is sick? Cats are domesticated animals. They need human love and attention. It looks like the lady just goes in there to feed them. Does she ever pick up one and cuddle it? It doesn't look like it. And there is not enough space for all those kitties. She needs to have food and water set up for them. And toys and scratching posts! Poor things get no attention. Only the bare minimum of food.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moonlights mom

I think that is terrible. I agree with GoldenKitty. How can you tell if one is sick? Cats are domesticated animals. They need human love and attention. It looks like the lady just goes in there to feed them. Does she ever pick up one and cuddle it? It doesn't look like it. And there is not enough space for all those kitties. She needs to have food and water set up for them. And toys and scratching posts! Poor things get no attention. Only the bare minimum of food.
That clip was like 30 seconds long. It's really hard to judge based on that.

But if it is a flat, it is definetly too small.

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

That clip was like 30 seconds long. It's really hard to judge based on that.

But if it is a flat, it is definetly too small.
I seriously doubt she has the time to give 130 cats the attention they deserve. That you can tell. My point is.. .she should not have that many cats.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you even imagine the cat fights? Are they all S/N? There really isn't enough info in the video to allow us to make a judgement OTHER than she appears to be a hoarder.

Is there a written article about her somewhere where we could get more info? Has she been interviewed? Does she adopt them out? Are they tested for FELV/FIV?

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Can you even imagine the cat fights? Are they all S/N? There really isn't enough info in the video to allow us to make a judgement OTHER than she appears to be a hoarder.

Is there a written article about her somewhere where we could get more info? Has she been interviewed? Does she adopt them out? Are they tested for FELV/FIV?
Exactly.

Just wondering, what is S/N?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spayed/Neutered

That many cats would cost MAJOR $$ to take care of PROPERLY.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't see videos at work, but based on the responses I wish we had more information.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could understand if she was running a rescue, but holy cow! If she has a landlord, what do they think? What do the neighbors think? Unless she gets help from an outside source, I don't see how she could care and vet for all of them properly!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well fed cats don't respond like that to food - only starving cats would respond that desperately to food. Pretty much all the cats were climbing over each other to get the food, and they were grabbing as many biscuits as fast as possible.

It cannot be hygienic for anyone to have that many cats in such a small place.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those cats look absolutely starving.

There may not be enough information to give a thorough judgement, but just looking at the situation you can tell there's something seriously wrong with it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Well fed cats don't respond like that to food - only starving cats would respond that desperately to food. Pretty much all the cats were climbing over each other to get the food, and they were grabbing as many biscuits as fast as possible.
I just want to say that yeah, that's just too many cats.

But in response to the above quote, my crew is free fed, they always have food available, but if I bring out treats, or something new, or canned/raw/human food, they act every bit as crazy and starving as the cats in the video.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoarder... Is all I have to say, that may seem mean but lets look at the facts: Are the animals all receiveing the proper diet (portion wise), is she able to back up all their prospective health issues and vet checkups financially, are the kitties able to have enough roaming space, etc????

I wonder how many litter boxes are required to withstand such a kitty population... As well as food bowls, scratching posts, furniture, toys, grooming gear, etc....

This lady must be rich, or just a little insane!

Ok the vid just loaded, nice... I see she feeds the cats like they are pigeons and they eat off the floor...

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I just want to say that yeah, that's just too many cats.

But in response to the above quote, my crew is free fed, they always have food available, but if I bring out treats, or something new, or canned/raw/human food, they act every bit as crazy and starving as the cats in the video.
Yeah, it's too many, but there are so many cuties there, how did they all get into 1 place?