What did they do to her??

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who don't know the story, here is the link to the original thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136673

Cleopatra has been back here for a week tomorrow. The first night she was here, she was absolutely terrified. She quickly settled down and started to sleep on the bed with us. The next day, I got up in the morning and fed the cats... I checked my email and went to make the bed. Cleopatra was sitting on the bed, next to a large wet spot. She had peed on the bed. I took her to the litter box, where she pooped. I washed the sheets and blankets and cleaned the mattress. I figured she was just a little traumatized from her experience. I saw her consistently using the litter box and forgot about her peeing on the bed. A couple days later I found another wet spot but no cat to be found. Again, I washed the sheets and cleaned the bed.
Yesterday afternoon, I was getting ready to walk the dogs when I heard a little scratching sound. I looked over at the bed, and Cleopatra was attempting to cover a pile of poop. Put her in the litter box, washed the sheets/blankets again, cleaned the mattress.
This morning, nothing on the bed, I put her in the litter box but she kept jumping out so I figured she just didn't have to go. Checked my email and wanted to crawl back into bed for an hour or so because I was up a lot last night. Put my hands on the bed... and right into a pile of poop.

Now I don't know what happened to her while those people had her. For all I know, she was locked in a room with no litter box.
We have three litter boxes... one largish and two smaller ones. Two are next to each other and the other one is several feet away. They are kept clean whenever they are used and everyone else uses them just fine. Any suggestions for how I can stop this behavior? I don't like having to wash the sheets daily and am really bothered by the fact that she's pooping and peeing on the bed. I'm not angry at her, I know something must have happened while those people had her.

I will take her to the vet to rule out something medical, but the poop is healthy looking and she is acting just fine otherwise. I honestly think it's behavioral.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try some cat attract for the litter, and make sure you clean the mattress with an enzyme cleaner to completely get rid of the smell.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh poor baby! And they only had her a few weeks. Something really scared her around litter pans. Its possible that the resident cats beat her up when attempting to use the pan since they said she didn't get along with them!

You may have to confine her to a crate or one room with the litter box all to herself for a few weeks and only allow supervised playtime outside the area. Kinda like re-training her again.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You may have to confine her to a crate or one room with the litter box all to herself for a few weeks and only allow supervised playtime outside the area. Kinda like re-training her again.
That's what we had to do with Stan when we first got him. He was in a 60 plus cat household and they just went wherever.

I had a good size dog crate and we kept him in there with a litter box filled with cat attract. He's been fine since. It took about two weeks total. First I had to keep him in the box whenever I couldn't watch him, then just at night. Once he was consistently using the box, we took the crate away and left his box in it's spot.

He's fine now.
Here's some good for little Cleo. Poor little girly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I set up a dog crate for her with a litter box. She is sooo unhappy, she hasn't stopped crying to be let out. I feel bad for her, but I don't want to lay down in poop on my bed again!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh that is SO sad!

BUT on a different note... I am SO thankful that YOU have her and YOU know how to deal with this behavior, rather than someone else that may have adopted her & would have seen this behavior and dumped her off out on the streets maybe or maybe would have treated her harshly or dumped her in a shelter etc.

She'll be doing just fine in no time