Worries about spaying.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if there are more dangers in spaying a very small cat? We got Kahlua at about 7 weeks and she grew like a weed for the first 6 months or so and then stopped... She is 2 years old, and her spaying was put on a back burner for a while because of money issues and a few other problems. She is an all indoor cat and never around strange cats so it wasnt a big problem. But its time to get it done and I am just very worried about it with her size. Does anyone have any experience with this?

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, if I remember correctly, Petunia was about 6 pounds when she was spayed so she was pretty small. Petunia is now about 11 pounds and very happy and playful!! The only complication that she had was that she was in such severe pain after the spaying that I had to take her back to the vet and get pain meds for her. Other than that, she was absolutely fine and a year and a half later, she is still fine.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is a weight limit set for spaying but for a full grown (although small) cat that is in good health I don't see a problem. I would call and ask the vet what the minimum weight is. When we had Little One spayed she was tiny, in my opinion, but we never had any problems. She's still small...small boned and very slim. I think some cats are just built that way. Your vet would be the best one to ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yea I plan on taking her to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment to get her shots up to date and a good check and set up a spay appointment.
Its just going to make me very sad because she has just started being trusting and loving again, and now I'm going to make her angry by taking her there...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

yea I plan on taking her to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment to get her shots up to date and a good check and set up a spay appointment.
Its just going to make me very sad because she has just started being trusting and loving again, and now I'm going to make her angry by taking her there...
Well, no cat likes going to the vet, just like most people don't like going to the doctor, so she won't be real happy with you...but with lots of lovings she will forgive you fast. And, after being spayed she will be a much happier, more relaxed cat. I have 2 I am saving up to get spayed (they are indoor only) and I feel so much for them when they go into heat. Definitely doesn't seem fun! Neither one of them have put on much weight, while their brother that was the runt is 3 times their size (he was neutered). So, you will be doing her a favor! Just baby her after the surgery and she will be your best friend.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks so much for the encouragement! I will be taking off at least 1 or 2 days of work so I can watch over her and take extra good care of her. And will probably be locking her in my bedroom to keep her a bit more relaxed and at least keep her from playing with our other kitties. But thats gonna be hard since she can open the doors...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've actually heard that it's a more difficult procedure on an overweight cat. So as long as she weighs more than 2 pounds, she should be fine.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was wondering if there are more dangers in spaying a very small cat? We got Kahlua at about 7 weeks and she grew like a weed for the first 6 months or so and then stopped... She is 2 years old, and her spaying was put on a back burner for a while because of money issues and a few other problems. She is an all indoor cat and never around strange cats so it wasnt a big problem. But its time to get it done and I am just very worried about it with her size. Does anyone have any experience with this?
By all means, discuss it with her doctor -- she DOES have one, doesn't she???
And by all means, she needs to be spayed a/o -- not just for preventing more kittens in the current overpopulation crisis, but to prevent ovarian cancer and more!!!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its never been an option of not getting her spayed, we just honestly have been in a hard spot and were more worried about other things at the moment. Yes she has a doctor, but she hasnt been in a while. Like I said money was tight. She is in very good health tho, so hopefully there wont be any problems at all. When I take her to get her shots up to date and everything I will definitely discuss it! Shes my baby and I dont want to take any chances!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

its never been an option of not getting her spayed, we just honestly have been in a hard spot and were more worried about other things at the moment. Yes she has a doctor, but she hasnt been in a while. Like I said money was tight. She is in very good health tho, so hopefully there wont be any problems at all. When I take her to get her shots up to date and everything I will definitely discuss it! Shes my baby and I dont want to take any chances!
THAT'S THE STUFF!!! Keep us posted, won't you?!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will! I am just dreading getting this look often!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Awww..she'll get over it...believe me...you will be doing her health a GREAT service. Intact cats are prone to cancers and females can develop pyometra. Honestly a day or two of mean looks is worth knowing that 1. she is protected against pyometra and 2. you have significantly reduced her chance of cancer.

Katie

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've spayed at least 2 cats, and they really don't seem to remember you are the one that made it happen. At least not after the first day or so. Of course, they're not real happy with the vet, LOL!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, she looks a lot like our Sassy! May I suggest: ask the vet to let you be with Kahlua while she's waking up from the anesthetic. I did that with the only two of our kitties who were not already spayed when we met them, and I really think it contributed to our emotional bonds.

It's got to be scary for them, especially with the nervous-system aftereffects some anesthetics have... and it was scary for me, too!
So I was very glad to be able to hold them close, safely wrapped in a towel on a table... keeping them warm and talking to them soothingly while they got their bearings.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Aw, she looks a lot like our Sassy! May I suggest: ask the vet to let you be with Kahlua while she's waking up from the anesthetic. I did that with the only two of our kitties who were not already spayed when we met them, and I really think it contributed to our emotional bonds.

It's got to be scary for them, especially with the nervous-system aftereffects some anesthetics have... and it was scary for me, too!
So I was very glad to be able to hold them close, safely wrapped in a towel on a table... keeping them warm and talking to them soothingly while they got their bearings.
Thanks thats a great idea I might have to ask about that! I just hope that that will be an option. I'm not real sure with work, but I'm sure my boss will understand!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She won't even know what happened to her.
She'll be the same cat.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I know how you feel! So many members here were supportive when Daphne was spayed. She was 4 months old and about 4 lbs. They can spay at 2 lbs but like you I didn't have the money until then plus I didn't expect her to go into heat at 4 months! Now I know to do it sooner.

Daphne was okay with surgery and healed well. She had an issue with her stitches though, she wouldn't leave them alone. She had to wear a collar (cone). I have never had a cat do that until her.

Here are a couple of pics:

Telling me just how much she does not like the collar

Here she is playing fetch:

Your girl may be cranky at first, but she will still love you and recover well. Then you will have no worries about cancer or accidental litters. You are doing a good thing. I think it may be more stressful for us than for them!

edit: her fur is almost grown back now and she is just my little, silly sweetie pie still. It doesn't change them long term

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What a beauty! But yes, I can see, she doesn't look too pleased and you don't want to see that too much -- purrs are so much better!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yea but I get that look often! I have a feeling she will get coned too...

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww.... lookit that angry little cat.

My Sophie's neuter is coming up and I'm so nervous it's ridiculous, so I feel you on this one.