My Cruiser

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my baby boy, my great dane/lab mix. He is 5 months old.

At about 3 months:

7 weeks:

Now:

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DOH!!!! I LOVE danes! They are my fave ever! I have had 4! Start him out as a puppy with making sure his food is elevated! Our last dane had bad neck problems because his previous owners didnt do that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
capt_jordi;1919799 said:
DOH!!!! I LOVE danes! They are my fave ever! I have had 4! Start him out as a puppy with making sure his food is elevated! Our last dane had bad neck problems because his previous owners didnt do that![/QUO I have his food and water raised so he does not have to stoop down at all. He is such a good boy! He's getting neutered tomorrow

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by help!

I have his food and water raised so he does not have to stoop down at all. He is such a good boy! He's getting neutered tomorrow
Oh, he should be okay. I hope he has a quick recovery! Just make sure he hasn't eaten for 12 hours prior to surgery (otherwise it's extremely dangerous). Here are some good luck vibes

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I take food away from him? The vet said that because he is under 6 months old I should feed him and give him water in the morning. It wouldn't hurt him if I didn't though...

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by help!

Should I take food away from him? The vet said that because he is under 6 months old I should feed him and give him water in the morning. It wouldn't hurt him if I didn't though...
Oh.. nevermind, go by what your vet says. I volunteer at an animal shelter and they won't let us work with the pets that are getting neutered/spayed in a day because they're on a diet. But go by whatever your vet says.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable!
He should be fine if you give him food as he's young. Just don't give him a bunch of food. I hope everything goes well.
I wouldn't feed him a whole bunch when he gets home but I am sure you can feed him a few hours after.
Let us know how it goes!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, what a sweet face!! Beautiful pup!!

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got back from dropping my baby boy off to be clipped.
I know it was the right thing to do but I feel really awful. I left there almost in tears!

He was so excited when we got there but then they took him back and put him in a cage (he doesn't do very well being caged in like that) and his tail just immediately stopped wagging.

I feel so bad for my baby. Here the tears come again...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll be just fine. I know that last look they give when they realize you are leaving is a heartbreaker, but think about how happy he will be when you pick him back up! You'll be his hero!!

And, I think (I'm not a vet, so don't quote me) the only reason they tell you not to feed some animals before surgery is so the anethesia/sedation doesn't make them sick afterwards. As young as your pup is, if he ate in the morning it would probably be mostly digested by the time they sedate him.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor puppers! I'm sure he'll be fine.

He's gorgeous by the way! I love how he was lying all stretched out.

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to pick up Cruiser and they gave me his heartworm prevention and some meds to take care of his tapeworms and I paid. Then she went back to get him and was gone a lot longer than she was any of the other dogs or cats (we used a low cost mobile service...they're safe, trust me, I looked into it). A while later she comes back out and tells me that he can't walk and asked if I would help her carry him to my car. I walked in and he was in the cage just so pathetic looking and sad. We walked out of the clinic and a man grabbed him and put him in the car for me (I found out he weighs 70 pounds already!) where I proceeded to lose it. I cried all the way home and sat for 10 minutes in my driveway just balling while I waited for my boss, of all people, to come over and help me carry him inside and up the stairs.

He is bleeding a little. They didn't castrate him, which surprised me. I feel so bad. Like I said, I know it was the right thing to do but I can't stand seeing him like this. His breathing is so heavy.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww the poor sweetie.
a little bleeding is normal. he probably can't walk because of the anestesia. we don't let dogs go at the spay and neuter clinics I have volunteered at until they can actually get up and walk. I hope he is better soon.

help!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only saw one other dog leave and she looked like she had just had puppies. She walked out of there all on her own. I thought spaying a dog is more invasive than neutering.

Why didn't they castrate him? Did they just tie something off? I was too upset when I saw him to be able to think clearly enough to ask any questions. I didn't expect to get him back like this.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some vets alter them a certain way. call and ask.
spays are longer procedures, neuters are simple.
does he have sutures (stitches)?