TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › The Deep Freeze - Obama & Hilary
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Deep Freeze - Obama & Hilary - Page 2

post #31 of 48
Thank you Sarah!

Sorry Gingersmom, I missed that wink at the end. I think that ckblv's following statement was more what stirred things up on my end.

The difference with men having a "Mid-life" crisis and women going through menopause is termed completely different. I do agree that it is a realistic and natural thing in a woman's life. However a man having a mid life crisis is laughed about, joked about, and people roll their eyes. NO ONE HAS EVER BROUGHT UP THAT A MAN SHOULD NOT BE PRESIDENT BECAUSE HE IS HAVING A MID LIFE CRISIS.

The mere mention that a woman should not be in office because she is going through menopause is putting women back in the dark ages. With that sort of attitude women should just be barefoot and pregnant all the time and never run for office. That attitude doesn't makes us any different from the Taliban or any other culture that suffocates the rights of women.
post #32 of 48
Thread Starter 
Come on, it was all in good fun, kind of
"Taliban" is kind of strong don't you think.
Look at the other thread, the religious thread to see how Taliban women are treated.

Menopause IS a fact of life and anything that affects the way a Commander in Chief performs their duty should be scrutinized, shouldn't it? Hormones are crazy thing, no dout about it. I have seen old Hillary, she looks a bit hormonal at times, don't you think?

I know, I know, mostly likely she is still the "I stand by my man" sort of gal.
post #33 of 48
Men have hormones, too. And actually Max told me something interesting the other day. He had seen a study that showed that really successful men, whether it be in sports, politics, entertainment etc, clinically are shown to have much higher natural levels of testosterone than your average, every day, garden variety male.

So maybe Hillary will have the drive she needs to really succeed if she is voted in, and if she goes through menopause. But it is still irrelevant. I remember in a job interview once the employer asked me if I was married. I told him I didn't think that that would make any difference to how I performed in the job, and he was honest enough to apologise and agree that it made no difference at all. No man would ever get asked that question.

I am far from a bra-burning, leftie feminist nut, but I do still feel that things such as hormones, menopause, cleavage and so forth should have no part of any discussion regarding someone's suitability for a position of employment - whether that be a cleaner or the President of the United States. Even as a joke, it is still disrespectful and representative of common, underlying thought processes out there. It's hard enough being a woman in a traditionally man's world without having your hormonal balances brought into the equation.
post #34 of 48
lol come on, gingersmom made a joke, its not a big deal geeee.
Well when men get there midlife thing, we are supposed to chase women, buy sport cars, and motorcycles(oh wait i have had one of those for years)

and not a place for jokes? and what you going to pull this feminist nut, stuff for all the jokes that would be coming if she is elected? People seem to have no issues when the joke about presdents and other people(when they are male), SO because she is a she, no jokes are allowed? Get over it.

If this is the case, then i never want to hear or read another joke about Bush, or anyone else.
if you want to run for office, get a thick skin, and get used to it. Ohhh i see its only ok to poke fun when the person is male?
post #35 of 48
Thread Starter 
Democrats have a great shot at the White House, for sure.

WHY, oh WHY, can't they find someone better to run than Hillary or Obama?
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
lol come on, gingersmom made a joke, its not a big deal geeee.
Well when men get there midlife thing, we are supposed to chase women, buy sport cars, and motorcycles(oh wait i have had one of those for years)

and not a place for jokes? and what you going to pull this feminist nut, stuff for all the jokes that would be coming if she is elected? People seem to have no issues when the joke about presdents and other people(when they are male), SO because she is a she, no jokes are allowed? Get over it.

If this is the case, then i never want to hear or read another joke about Bush, or anyone else.
if you want to run for office, get a thick skin, and get used to it. Ohhh i see its only ok to poke fun when the person is male?
Jeeze, settle down Tiger! Too much testosterone for breakfast?

Nobody makes jokes about Bush etc doing what they're doing (or not doing) because of male hormones, mid-life crises, penises, or anything else that is inherently male, just as menopause etc is inherently female. If they did, that would be wrong, too. It works both ways. Your hormones, whether you are male or female, have nothing whatsoever to do with your suitability for a job. It's like all the stupid furore about Hillary's cleavage. I bet George gets a big boner about 50 times a day (like most men) but it would be entirely inappropriate to refer to it and nobody ever would. But it's ok to talk about Hills and her boobs. That's a double standard, and it exists all over.

I know the comment was tongue in cheek. I wasn't referring to Ginger, actually. Just the point in general that these kinds of things shouldn't even be taken into consideration when discussing someone's ability to perform.
post #37 of 48
lol i am down, in fact i am sitting here laughing.
and yes they do, have seen lots. of jokes.
hmm i cant tell you about the one, this is a family site, but they are there.

and about Hills and her boobs, lol cant beleve i just typed that,
anyway, the whole thing started when a women fashion editor wrote that she was not looking very women like, then the whole thing when dumb. Gee i dont care nor does anyone i know care
lol but i would bet if bush came out in speedo and had there was huge bump down there, it would be made fun of hhe,e along with him wearing a speedo
post #38 of 48
Whether these were jokes or not, text and often times the way things are phrased (in general) will be misinterpreted. I also don't like when hear/read about women limiting other women based on unjustifiable reasons.

However its like what Sarah said, no one says anything derogitory towards males that would limit them because of natural life event. In my earlier example, who has ever sat there and said
"Maybe we should wait until HE completes his mid life crisis before we elect/nominate him"
or
"He's hot have you seen how tight those pants were on him? He's definitely got my vote"

Saying that someone is dumb, stupid, whatever is one thing. You can lump anything into that class. However doing a news article about cleavage (in other thread), or "joking" about her being menopausal, or "observing" that she and Obama exchange very little words is an entirely different class. This article indicates that she and Obama exchange few words...yet WHY are we focusing on Hilary AND NOT Obama? Doesn't it take two to tango my dears?

If it were an all male campaign do you even think we would have seen this article? Probably not because women are suppose to be sugar and spice and every thing nice. So because Hilary and Obama do not exchange very many words nowadays it's Hilary's fault and not Obamas.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
"Maybe we should wait until HE completes his mid life crisis before we elect/nominate him"
or
"He's hot have you seen how tight those pants were on him? He's definitely got my vote"

Saying that someone is dumb, stupid, whatever is one thing. You can lump anything into that class. However doing a news article about cleavage (in other thread), or "joking" about her being menopausal, or "observing" that she and Obama exchange very little words is an entirely different class. This article indicates that she and Obama exchange few words...yet WHY are we focusing on Hilary AND NOT Obama? Doesn't it take two to tango my dears?

If it were an all male campaign do you even think we would have seen this article? Probably not because women are suppose to be sugar and spice and every thing nice. So because Hilary and Obama do not exchange very many words nowadays it's Hilary's fault and not Obamas.
that because most US presdents would hvae been past there midlife point by the time they got to be in charge., AND i would love to have had a dollar for every female that i said,i voted for bill cause he is cute.

could be the person that wrote the story likes Obama is trying to make Hilary look bad?(not that she needs help)

Like i said, people are going to make fun of her, just like they have all the past ones. on any topic they can find. I would not take everything that is said as a personal insult to females, or male or what ever, its part of the game. You should not expect another set of rules, just because she is female.

So your saying that if she gets elected, then , lets say saturday day live is not allowed to comdey act based on her?

come on just wait,for it, there will be skit after skit on just this, along with one showing her messing around with interns and someone looking like bill, sweeping the floor and washing the dishs in the white house.

this type of stuff just goes with the job, anything is fair game anymore.
post #40 of 48
I think the menopause argument or joke, is a moot point. I'm sure Hillary is well past her menopause by now. I think it's just her human nature that makes her a cold, moody person. She has to be in her early 60's.
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
that because most US presdents would hvae been past there midlife point by the time they got to be in charge., AND i would love to have had a dollar for every female that i said,i voted for bill cause he is cute.

could be the person that wrote the story likes Obama is trying to make Hilary look bad?(not that she needs help)

Like i said, people are going to make fun of her, just like they have all the past ones. on any topic they can find. I would not take everything that is said as a personal insult to females, or male or what ever, its part of the game. You should not expect another set of rules, just because she is female.

So your saying that if she gets elected, then , lets say saturday day live is not allowed to comdey act based on her?

come on just wait,for it, there will be skit after skit on just this, along with one showing her messing around with interns and someone looking like bill, sweeping the floor and washing the dishs in the white house.

this type of stuff just goes with the job, anything is fair game anymore.
Oh I don't doubt that she won't be made fun of...as long as the jokes reflect that her and her job role rather than based on her gender. I would actually laugh if I saw Billy in an apron.

However let's pretend that she becomes president and receives a popularity rating as high as Bush's right now. She makes similar mistakes that Bush did and instead of just being called a bumbling idiot, people do begin to bring up "She's a shrew" or "We should have never put a woman in office. They don't know how to run a country" or even "Women can't drive a car and they can't run a country".

If the jokesters do it gracefully rather than distastefully insulting all women then that's fine. Besides that would mean that we have a woman in office

I do agree that the writer of this article is probably an Obama fan. That's why I don't like it and discredit it. We never hear the author of the article say "And while Obama consistantly tries to get Hilary's attention:
'Hilary! So how are the kids?'; 'Hilary, so what are some of your upcoming campaign tricks'; 'Let's do lunch...call me'..."

However let me point the difference. In these threads Obama is typically perceived as "...being too young to be president"..."he doesn't have enough experience..." etc. Hilary gets labeled as cold, witchy, or I've even heard her referred to as "The Beast" (not here, elsewhere). Making points like "Her change of views make me untrusting of her" is a totally different and legit argument.

Underneath everything written, Obama really isn't being reflected any differently in this article.
post #42 of 48
Thread Starter 
Whether we agree with it or not, this is a "free-for-all" and Hillary will NOT be immune because she is a woman. So, get used to it. (Talking about the campaign here)
My gosh, most of this was kidding around. You guys are going to ballistic when it gets down and dirty, and it will.

Femi-Nazi's!!!!!! just kidding.

I have seen some cold, cold, hard-core looks on Ms Hillary's face from time to time. She is hormonal for sure IMO.
I don't know Hope, menopause lasts a long time. My mom is 83 and still gets hot flashes and night sweats, it's crazy. She was on HRT until she was in her 70's.
post #43 of 48
Yes, she is perceived as being cold. And you know, there have been male candidates who have gotten the same reputation (Bob Dole comes to mind). That's not a female attribute - that's a human attribute. And that inter-personal communication is important to a President, no matter the gender. IF she did break off communication with Obama because he's now a rival, even to the point of not exchanging casual niceties, how will she deal with, say, Putin when he acts like he does and disagrees or defies her? Or Kim Jong Ill when he goes back on his word? Or the press when they paint her and her policy in a manner she doesn't like? Will she just cut off all communication, or give them a cold shoulder?

Would it be just as bad for her to court the gender role of being more caring and understanding of children and education because she's a mother? She has played that card in previous campaigns, and I'm sure it's in her playbook for this one as well. Why not? It's a positive image. But it's still based on a gender specific generalization.
post #44 of 48
I'm a bit confused Heidi - are you saying she deliberately courts gender-specific images and behaviour to further her claim to the Presidency?

And Cindy - you've never seen a man with a cold, cold look on his face? Or another, non-hormonal woman? I've seen plenty. I doubt that it has anything to do with menopause, testosterone, estrogen or anything else. Maybe she's just a cold woman.

And, again, it seems as though it needs to be reiterated. Nobody here is denying that people in the public eye (and particularly politicians) are fair game and are made fun of, targeted, ridiculed and picked to shreds by the media, their foes and the general public. It's part-and-parcel (unfortunately) of the life they've chosen. BUT that doesn't make it ok to ridicule or target them for gender-specific physical occurrences that are totally out of their control and don't have anything to do with anything.

Again, teasing someone about the size of their nose or their cold demeanour is totally different from saying `she'll go to war because she'll be going through menopause' or `I wouldn't want a menopausal President'. It's totally different. That would be like saying `Women can't be priests because they menstruate which makes them dirty'. Fancy anyone saying that! Hang on, hang on...yes, that's already happened. And it was totally unacceptable then and referring to women's hormones or men's erections or anything like that is inappropriate and pathetic.

If it were a man who had a `cold, cold look' nobody would even consider it to be hormone related. So, again, why should it be with Hillary? Maybe she's just a cold, cold person. Nothing to do with her hormones. George W quite regularly has that look on his face. Of course, in his case I used to think it was more to do with a monumental lack of intellect but I've changed my mind. I actually think it's because he's distracted by his penis. He's probably thinking about sex. I mean, aren't most men?

This reminds me of people who, if a woman happens to be cranky or angry about something, say `Oooh, have you got your period??'. Demeaning, sexist, rude, and unacceptable. Hillary does not have to be molly-coddled because she is a woman. She just has to be treated the same as everyone else - and not have stupid sexist comments made about her because she is a woman.
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
I'm a bit confused Heidi - are you saying she deliberately courts gender-specific images and behaviour to further her claim to the Presidency?
You bet your sweet bippy she does! What was her book - It Takes a Village to Raise a Child? If you think she didn't have her eyes on getting back into the White House when she wrote it, you're kidding yourself.

Honestly - if she can make the "motherly" image work for her and gain votes, more power to her. Politics is a cut throat business and you have to do anything to get an edge. Part of her gaining edge is that she is the first woman to seriously contend for the presidency, and she will use the "mother" card in the future. But at the same time, she and her supporters will deride any negative gender-specific images that are used against her as being sexist. That's politics at it's finest.
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
This reminds me of people who, if a woman happens to be cranky or angry about something, say `Oooh, have you got your period??'. Demeaning, sexist, rude, and unacceptable. Hillary does not have to be molly-coddled because she is a woman. She just has to be treated the same as everyone else - and not have stupid sexist comments made about her because she is a woman.
Realliy,maybe as you say its sexist, but its there not some truth to that?
based on how the wife, or any female that you know well is acting you can 98% of the time make very good guess that it is a issue at that point in time. That is not being sexist.

Back when Reagan was presdent, was there not tons of jokes about him having Alzheimer's or other such disorders.Shown all over the place, music video etc. i remember a skit about him in bed with nancy and forgetting how to have sex, i dont remember a outcry about that. Seen stuff about bush needing drugs to be able to have sex with his wife. no outcry about that. still seem to me that several people here are asking for different sets of rules, to be applied. Is it fair,maybe not, but that is the way this game is played at this point in time.
post #47 of 48
Well there should be outcries (as you put it) about those things. There are some lines that should not be crossed. Most decent people will not do so. But there are always exceptions to every rule.
post #48 of 48
OK so let's turn the tables a bit.

What if the Obama-haters began to say "He needs a cialis because he lacks a d***" or "Obama's getting to that age where he could be experiencing an erectile disorder. He wouldn't make a good president because of that".

IMO that's crossing the line with men. I personally would be digusted if someone made that comment about Obama, John, Mitt, Rudy, and whoever else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › The Deep Freeze - Obama & Hilary