When will people learn?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When will people learn that drinking doesn't go well with driving, swimming, etc?! A guy my mom used to babysit (he's also my friend's cousin) went missing while swimming at a local lake this morning. It was around 3-4 am and there were a bunch of teens drinking. He got caught in the current and is presumed dead.

As mean as it sounds, don't people have common sense?! A little over a year ago, an 18 year old who everyone here knew died in a car accident. He had been drinking and was only driving a few blocks back home. Pretty much everybody was shocked by this but kids here are still drinking and doing things they shouldn't.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sad to say, but no, I dont think people will ever learn

We have a "local" swim area kids like to go out and swim in. They now have the names/dates of everyone who has died there, because it has happened so many times!!

Very very heartbreaking!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it, but kids don't think of the future, they think of now. They think it can't happen to them. And no, I don't think that will ever change. That is being young. I think back on some of the stupid things I did when I was younger and thank God I am still alive, because I was REALLY stupid at times.

I'm not saying all young people are like that (I'm 37, so to me anyone 16-25 are young ones now), I'm just saying it is a trait of...maybe not youth. Maybe immaturity. There are very mature teenagers that wouldn't do that, and there are some very immature 40-50 yr old people that still do stupid things. So, to clarify, I changed my mind...it has nothing to do with age in years...it is all about age in maturity (don't want all the young ones yelling at me
)

So, no. Sometimes people never learn regardless of age. Humans do stupid things. That is a fact of life.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I changed my mind...it has nothing to do with age in years...it is all about age in maturity (don't want all the young ones yelling at me
)
Hey, I just like that you called me young since I'm about to turn 25!

I wish people would learn, or that we all had the sense to be concerned for the future instead of only the moment right in front of us. A couple years ago we had 3 very bad car accidents just weeks apart that all had teenage drinking and driving. I think about 5 teenagers died in total.

I didn't know this until recently, but one of the classic couples from my high school were involved in a drunk driving accident. They had recently gotten back together after the girl and her husband separated. (we were about 21 at the time) The girl was killed (and she was an absolute sweetheart!) and the guy was sent to prison for it. That girl left 2 adorable little boys behind. They were probably 2 and 3 years old.
I'll never forget that. (Her husband was on a deployment with my husband around the time of the accident. I think it was just after they got home.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are saying that he (Devin) may have been pulled to shore, still alive, and is somewhere in the park. It's been nearly 24 hours since it happened, the lake is pea soup coloured and there is so much seaweed.

Here's a short news article about it

They're only conducting the search for two more days. I still feel really bad for his family. Tomorrow (well today since it's after midnight) we're stopping over at their house and bringing a meat/cheese tray.

Oh and here's some more articles from Google News. I don't know why I put so many articles up when stuff happens. Maybe I don't want people thinking that I'm making this up. :/

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's sad. A lot of people (young & old) tend to think they are invincible and bad things only happen to others....

I do believe children should be taught the basics of common sense from an early age on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

That's sad. A lot of people (young & old) tend to think they are invincible and bad things only happen to others....

I do believe children should be taught the basics of common sense from an early age on.
Originally Posted by Bella713

That's very sad but some people think it can NEVER happen to them, like they are invincible and that kind of goes along with being young.
That's so true. Maybe, just maybe, the kids around here will learn that ANYTHING can happen to ANYONE. You're not invincible.