Trapping Skittish Ferals

michiganmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am now 3 months into TNR. We live in a relatively urban setting, immediately adjacent to a large University. I started with 2 pregnant females and another cat. I trapped one of the pregnant females, took her to the vet and was told she had her kittens within the last 12-24 hours, so we had to return her (it was early April and it was cold). Since then, I've trapped 2 males that wandered through (obviously fathers, but not 'regulars' in the colony) and the other cat (which was also a female, but not pregnant). I also caught all 3 of their kittens, two of whom we're in the process of socializing (LOTS of stories and lessons learned doing that). We had to euthanize one of the kittens, as when she was being spayed, the vet called me to tell me she had FIP and it would be more humane to euthanize her

Anyhow....I am now having a VERY difficult time trapping the 2 females (both were pregnant at one point). They walk around the cage and won't go in. I'm nervous one of them is pregnant again (I can't imagine who the father is, since I feel like I've trapped every cat within 5 miles!).

I need suggestions on how to trap the skittish ones. This is complicated by the fact that I can't trap at night, because we've had a raccoon and skunk visit the feeding station. I've been rinsing the trap with bleach/water after each trapping in order to rinse any strange smells. I don't know what else to do

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by michiganmom

I am now 3 months into TNR. We live in a relatively urban setting, immediately adjacent to a large University. I started with 2 pregnant females and another cat. I trapped one of the pregnant females, took her to the vet and was told she had her kittens within the last 12-24 hours, so we had to return her (it was early April and it was cold). Since then, I've trapped 2 males that wandered through (obviously fathers, but not 'regulars' in the colony) and the other cat (which was also a female, but not pregnant). I also caught all 3 of their kittens, two of whom we're in the process of socializing (LOTS of stories and lessons learned doing that). We had to euthanize one of the kittens, as when she was being spayed, the vet called me to tell me she had FIP and it would be more humane to euthanize her

Anyhow....I am now having a VERY difficult time trapping the 2 females (both were pregnant at one point). They walk around the cage and won't go in. I'm nervous one of them is pregnant again (I can't imagine who the father is, since I feel like I've trapped every cat within 5 miles!).

I need suggestions on how to trap the skittish ones. This is complicated by the fact that I can't trap at night, because we've had a raccoon and skunk visit the feeding station. I've been rinsing the trap with bleach/water after each trapping in order to rinse any strange smells. I don't know what else to do
Here is a link to some suggestions on how to trap trap savvy cats:

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/hardtocatch.htm

Katie

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use a drop trap. If you need instructions etc. let me know and I'll send them your way.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We put the food down at the same time every day and leave it out for an hour, then 45 mintues, then 30 minutes - each one for a few days - the point is to narrow the "trapping" window.

We put the food in the box we use as "camoflauge" for the trap - it is big and open on both ends. We slice open one side and tape it closed so it's a box again (if they jump on top of it, it will hold their weight). You'll see why we do this in a minute. Spray a couple of squirts of Feliway on the insides of the box. This way they get used to walking inside the box to eat the food.

"Trap" day we put out a THOROUGHLY cleaned trap. Don't use anything but soap & water to wash it so it has no chemical smell. Rinse it totally. Then spray it with Feliway. This way it has no smell of chemicals, no smell of fear, no smell of other cats, and the smell of "friendly" markers on it. I'm not sure, but I think not using a clean trap is the primary problem people have trapping skittish traps. And a trap just smells like fear!

Pour cat litter, sand, or organic potting soil all over the bottom. This way they don't have to walk on the wires - but it doesn't prevent tripping the trap, and it just lifts up through it. Untape that one sliced side of the box and fold it out to the side rather than putting it under the trap - this way you can just pick up the box then the trap. They're used to eating in the box, the trap has no smell but a friendly one (and one they're used to now), and you're good to go!

If they won't go in, then do the whole set up, but with the trap not set to trip. Then put the food out as before, but inside the trap inside the box, but not set to trip. After a day or two, they'll probably get up the nerve to go in. Give it a day or two of them eating in there - then set the trap.

Oh - one last thing. Trapping day, use a really stinky food. Herring (no sauce) is our favorite, though others use Tuna or KFC (no skin or bones).

Good luck!

Laurie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HouseofCats

We use a drop trap. If you need instructions etc. let me know and I'll send them your way.
Thanks to HouseofCats, I built a drop trap a few years ago and the humane society used it to trap wily females just like yours. There was a thread recently on the topic, and someone found some plans to make one.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ight=drop+trap