Momma cats: How they discipline.

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone post a link to a video, or maybe take a video and post it that shows a momma cat disciplining a kitten? I want to see the postures, hear the noises and see the physical actions taken when a mother cat corrects a kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, it looks like she will just sort of beat them up a little. I was thinking she might sort of hold her kitten down somehow, maybe a holding bite on the neck somewhere. Or something.... I don't know. I was just wondering if I might employ a simulation of whatever action is used if I should have to discipline this new cat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing you can do to replicate cat disciplining behaviour is to hiss - this is understood by the vast majority of cats instinctively, and cats hiss at each other to warn that their behaviour has gone too far - it's good for dealing with rough/aggressive play either with you or between cats, it gets their attention and that is the sort of situation they would hiss at each other when it's getting too rough.

Cats can be really quite rough when physically disciplining one another, even kittens, and because we're so much bigger trying to mimic it even gently can be frightening for them. One thing I have found works though, cats will warn each other off (and mums do it to their kittens) by 'splatting' them on the head with a paw. Now please do not splat your cat on the head! But I have found that placing the tip of my finger on my cats' heads and saying NO when they are doing something that they shouldn't be sometimes works. I wouldn't do it to a fearful, aggressive, or untame cat though due to the risk of getting scratched or bitten.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should also really add that the best way to train any animal is through positive reinforcement rather than discipline, of course their are times when you have a kitten attached to your hand by its teeth and claws because it is learning the boundaries of acceptable play, and in situations like those the hiss can work well.

When trying to encourage behaviour of certain types it is important to remember that the cat has no moral concept of what we consider 'good' behaviour or 'bad' behaviour, and the best thing you can do is tempt it towards 'good' behaviour by reward. Cats aren't as easy to train as dogs, simply because dogs have a pack mentality and have a wish to be accepted and praised by their humans, whereas cats are not motivated by wanting us to be pleased with them in the slightest!

Tasty healthy food treats however are a different matter, and rewarding 'good' behaviour consistently with a treat reward should over a period of time teach the cat that certain behaviours are rewarded and the cat will seek out that reward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My intention was not to use this method unless necessary. I understand the principles of operant conditioning and would prefer positive reenforcement. Thanks for your replies.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rez

My intention was not to use this method unless necessary. I understand the principles of operant conditioning and would prefer positive reenforcement. Thanks for your replies.
I understand

Definitely the hiss is great for getting their attention then, really useful when they are playing too rough and have grabbed hold of your foot, or if they are showing too much of an interest in trying to take apart your computer!

I use the finger on head thing that I described occasionally, both my cats are terrible at begging for food (I don't know why because I have never fed them my dinner and all the begging in the world isn't going to work!!!) and when the paws go on my knee and the little head meerkats up over the edge of my plate to have a look a firm 'No' and a finger on the forehead usually reminds them that they are not allowed to steal bits of my dinner