Don't understand Royal Canin...

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything I read on here mentions that corn and corn gluten, etc. are bad ingredients and that we should feed something that doesn't contain it. Why then, do I see so many people recommend and feed their cats Royal Canin? Every bag I looked at has corn, or corn gluten as the 2nd ingredient.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Royal canin is a True premium... It is free of artificial colors/flavors , poultry or chicken by products and chemical preservatives... Is it great for the $$ NOT IMHO.. Good food , Yes

Corn is not evil, it is not a terribly digestable grain/veggie in the whole grd state ... those that say it is either are mis informed or are talking about wet food
.. I still dont like alot of it but it has a purpose in some chicken and beef formula drys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I guess I was under the impression that all corn was bad. Thanks for clarifying that

Would you say that a dry with corn such as royal canin, was equal to a dry with rice, such as Cal. nat? Or do you prefer rice or other?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rice digestabilty about 70-80 % for white rice

corn gluten 66-76%

grd corn ( ie say s corn , corn grits , corn meal) 30-50%

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see corn as almost a straight filler and cannot justify spending high prices for food that, and I'll say it again, is going in one end and out the other
RC and Nutro are just too expensive IMO for having corn

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you were feeding all dry diet, I can see the concern. But if adding canned foods to the diet, it should more/less equal out.

Charlie's breeder feeds RC and she's got some of the top Ocicats in the nation - so it must be working. She also feeds some canned too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I see corn as almost a straight filler and cannot justify spending high prices for food that, and I'll say it again, is going in one end and out the other
RC and Nutro are just too expensive IMO for having corn
but you dont realize the barley and others in what you feed are just as indigestable...

barley digestabilty is about 55%

oatmeal is about 60%

rye see barley

Potato is about 65%

Brown rice 50%

wheat the non whole grain type about 70%

WHOLE grain subtract about 10-15%

See why I prefer white rice and some corn gluten

thou I must say potato aint bad if it is not high up

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

but you dont realize the barley and others in what you feed are just as indigestable...

barley digestabilty is about 55%

oatmeal is about 60%

rye see barley

Potato is about 65%

Brown rice 50%

wheat the non whole grain type about 70%

WHOLE grain subtract about 10-15%

See why I prefer white rice and some corn gluten

thou I must say potato aint bad if it is not high up
but then CS is not as expensive as RC or Nutro either
, usually its a good $7 a bag cheaper than Nutro and probably more than that for RC, and when I go thru a big bag at least every 2 weeks, usually in less time than that actually, that can add up really fast.

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine,
CS does have white rice
and potatoes! and all that meat

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chickenreally should be fifth or sixth as this is water thou I love seeing both and wish MORE companies would, chicken meal, cracked pearled barleyThis is LOW QUALITY barley , chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish mealWHOSE , white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, milletdigestabilty of about 45% , natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duckFall another five or six positions thus not enough to evan count about 2% total volume
DO TO WATER content , flaxseed,MEal would be better as it could be used sodium bisulfateTOO high for me as this is sythetic thou I do allow it , egg productI hate when it doesnt specify whole
or white
, methionine, WONDERFUL for UTI health
JUST an FYI On ave 90% of the formula is the first six to nine ingrediants.... so if chn meal is listed first often it makes up 25-30% of the bag ....
For 7$ buck s less a bag it is a great food for the money //// ave price 18 $ for 16lbs ... Max cat 20lb for 21 is a toss up ... I wouldnt actually choose either but I have issues at home

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frankly, I go with what works for my cats.

I've tried Evo and they absolutely hate it!

All my cats are on RC of one form or another - the Abys are on RC Persian if you can believe that ... Their coats are soft and shiney, no poo problems and everyone from the 6 mo all the way to the oldest (10 yrs) are thriving.

I will say that they all get wet (canned or, preferably home cooked) every night as a supplement to their diets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins/Minerals, Taurine

cal. nat. ingredients from the petfoodirect website. So something with white rice, or corn gluten, would be more digestible than the ground brown rice?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Chickenreally should be fifth or sixth as this is water thou I love seeing both and wish MORE companies would, chicken meal, cracked pearled barleyThis is LOW QUALITY barley , chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish mealWHOSE , white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, milletdigestabilty of about 45% , natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duckFall another five or six positions thus not enough to evan count about 2% total volume
DO TO WATER content , flaxseed,MEal would be better as it could be used sodium bisulfateTOO high for me as this is sythetic thou I do allow it , egg productI hate when it doesnt specify whole
or white
, methionine, WONDERFUL for UTI health
JUST an FYI On ave 90% of the formula is the first six to nine ingrediants.... so if chn meal is listed first often it makes up 25-30% of the bag ....
For 7$ buck s less a bag it is a great food for the money //// ave price 18 $ for 16lbs ... Max cat 20lb for 21 is a toss up ... I wouldnt actually choose either but I have issues at home
round here I pay $21 for 18 lbs of CS and Nutro runs about 28 for 18lbs
and everything else is just waaay too expensive. Even Blue Buffalo, which i think is almost identical to CS runs $28 a bag
If I only had 2 or 3 kitties i would probably feed Cali Nat or Wellness, but I probably will never only have 2 or 3 cats!!

Also, never knew that Methionine was good for UT health

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins/Minerals, Taurine

cal. nat. ingredients from the petfoodirect website. So something with white rice, or corn gluten, would be more digestible than the ground brown rice?
Yes but Cal natural is a GREAT food and if Riley does well no need to change

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

round here I pay $21 for 18 lbs of CS and Nutro runs about 28 for 18lbs
and everything else is just waaay too expensive. Even Blue Buffalo, which i think is almost identical to CS runs $28 a bag
If I only had 2 or 3 kitties i would probably feed Cali Nat or Wellness, but I probably will never only have 2 or 3 cats!!

Also, never knew that Methionine was good for UT health
Yes Blue spa is close in ingrediants .... WOW that is a big price difference .. you must shop at a pet store not a feed store , see here mostly only feed stores have chicken soup

Yes my vet was thrilled to see that in Zoeys food cause it would hopefully prevent issues

Right now I am trying to figure out how to spend 35 a month just on one cats dry food...lol.. the price is the shipping price of Orijen and the Natural choice she wont give up ...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes but Cal natural is a GREAT food and if Riley does well no need to change

Yes Blue spa is close in ingrediants .... WOW that is a big price difference .. you must shop at a pet store not a feed store , see here mostly only feed stores have chicken soup

Yes my vet was thrilled to see that in Zoeys food cause it would hopefully prevent issues

Right now I am trying to figure out how to spend 35 a month just on one cats dry food...lol.. the price is the shipping price of Orijen and the Natural choice she wont give up ...
I buy it at Pet Supplies Plus, but the feed store is the same price
weird

I'm glad my cats aren't that picky- only with wet food it seems
and they don't really have any special diet requirements

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I purr-sonally would never feed it. IMO, RC isn't worth the money for the ingredients.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually think my cats did better on RC than CN but RC is one of the highest priced foods in my area. It cost $35 for the 16lb. bag. That is the same as EVO and Core here. I do not want to switch back because of that price. I agree RC has corn and wheat gluten and I do not want to feed that for that price.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I purr-sonally would never feed it. IMO, RC isn't worth the money for the ingredients.

Given the choice between meat and corn, meat will always win with me. I think that we (as consumers) have been brainwashed into believing that our cats should be eating corn. Yes, the ash content of corn is lower than meat but the truth is, if the food was truly appropriate we wouldn't have to make concessions like that. That's why ash is such a minimal issue when it comes to wet food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Given the choice between meat and corn, meat will always win with me. I think that we (as consumers) have been brainwashed into believing that our cats should be eating corn. Yes, the ash content of corn is lower than meat but the truth is, if the food was truly appropriate we wouldn't have to make concessions like that. That's why ash is such a minimal issue when it comes to wet food.
Well put... How many higher quality cans have corn in them??? NOT MANY..