dental care water additives

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if those dental treatments (Breathalyser, Aquadent, etc) that you add to your cat's water can be used with a charcoal filtered water fountain? Common sense tells me no, the filter would trap some of the benefial suff. BUT, those filters don't trap everything.

Has anyone heard anything definative on this??? I've scoured the web and not found anything.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No idea ... I find the whole add chlorafill to water idea insane for just a glass ...

CONTACT the manufactur of the fountain and find out particle size that the filter CAN filter out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

CONTACT the manufactur of the fountain and find out particle size that the filter CAN filter out
What would I do with that information? I don't know the particle size of the stuff in the additive. And, before you suggest it
, I can't find any contact information for the manufactor of the additive. If I could I would just ask them if their product can be used in water fountains.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it would give you a micron size ... ie human sperm is 5 ( dont ask) , human hair I beleive is 10 ...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found contact information for the makers of Aquadent. They say their product should *not* be used with a filtering system.

Darn...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
can u get a paste on your finger and let them lick it??? far better results as it is the enzymes that do the work ( as per my old conventional vet when I asked how to brush teeth

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

can u get a paste on your finger and let them lick it??? far better results as it is the enzymes that do the work ( as per my old conventional vet when I asked how to brush teeth
I was thinking about adding it to the "gruel" I make for her (1/8 t probiotic, 1/8 brewers yeast, 1/4 t water). I think it might move from the mouth to the stomach too fast that way. Same as with a gel I would think??? Also, you only use 2 t of the Aquadent per 4 cups of water. I don't know what the appropriate amount would be if given directly or if giving too much might be harmful.

I can just take the filter out. I like having the water filtered but, oh well...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I gave up on the liquid dental additives for Oliver's water... even though they say tasteless, odorless, etc Oliver somehow knew there was something different about his water and would not drink from his bowls... he got to attacking people with water glasses or sneaking into the toilet... stopped using the dental stuff and he started using his bowls again - anyway, my vet said those treatments dont do a whole lot... just my thoughts

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
reg toothpaste for cats ... about 1/4 inch licked will do the job ... If she "chews " adding it to the other pastes might work ... it needs to mainly hit the gums then it falls sorta on the teeth

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

... anyway, my vet said those treatments dont do a whole lot... just my thoughts
Don't tell me that!! I have high hopes for curing her without having to brush her teeth every day and you're ruining it for me!!

How long ago was it that you tried the additive and which one was it? I'm going to taste it myself. I do have higher hopes for the chews though, *if* she'll eat them.

She's only 2 years old! I don't want her to start losing her teeth before she's 5!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Don't tell me that!! I have high hopes for curing her without having to brush her teeth every day and you're ruining it for me!!

How long ago was it that you tried the additive and which one was it? I'm going to taste it myself. I do have higher hopes for the chews though, *if* she'll eat them.

She's only 2 years old! I don't want her to start losing her teeth before she's 5!
Haha sorry! The only one I tried was Dental Fresh (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...2&N=2002+22759) and to me there was no taste or odor - that was last year, I believe... idk, maybe Oliver's just really particular (wouldn't surprise me - the ONLY wet food he'll even look at is Meow Mix
) Oliver's 5 and when he was to the vet last summer, she was not worried about his teeth (ie: of course they're not crystal clear, but in no need of a dental cleaning)... I try to brush his teeth after his monthly bath, some months he lets me get in there a little and some months he doesnt... unfortunately, I didn't get to rescue him from the streets until he was almost 3, if I'd gotten him as a kitten I would've started the brushing right away (I brush my dog's teeth all the time, haha)... he does get greenies and other hard dental treats and so far his teeth still arent in need of a professional cleaning... like I said, it's just my experience and opinion - the additives might work for your kitty!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I gave up on the liquid dental additives for Oliver's water... even though they say tasteless, odorless, etc Oliver somehow knew there was something different about his water and would not drink from his bowls... he got to attacking people with water glasses or sneaking into the toilet... stopped using the dental stuff and he started using his bowls again - anyway, my vet said those treatments dont do a whole lot... just my thoughts
My guys wouldn't drink the water either. There's $20 down the drain...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

My guys wouldn't drink the water either. There's $20 down the drain...
I don't know what it is about that stuff but the cats KNOW there's something in the water when you add it and just don't like it... and it's not cheap, which is why I gave up trying after the first bottle... I do the best as he'll let me with monthly tooth brushing and try to stick to the crunchy cat cookies and of course he eats dry kibble - I can see some plaque on his back teeth when he yawns, but I can never get to it... so I figure he'll ineveitably eventually need a teeth cleaning, but I'm doin what I can to put that off as long as possible... wish he'd cooperate and let me brush all his teeth like my dog does - she's never needed a teeth cleaning and she's 13!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know what it is about that stuff but the cats KNOW there's something in the water when you add it and just don't like it... and it's not cheap, which is why I gave up trying after the first bottle... I do the best as he'll let me with monthly tooth brushing and try to stick to the crunchy cat cookies and of course he eats dry kibble - I can see some plaque on his back teeth when he yawns, but I can never get to it... so I figure he'll ineveitably eventually need a teeth cleaning, but I'm doin what I can to put that off as long as possible... wish he'd cooperate and let me brush all his teeth like my dog does - she's never needed a teeth cleaning and she's 13!
I can't tell you how many times I've wished cats were as cooperative as dogs! I'd never have a dog though. Kitties are just so darn cute!!

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat hates the dental water additives, to I got a product called Nature's Dentist. You sprinkle it onto their food twice a day. I have a cat who has extremely bad teeth. I've been using it for a few months, and when I took my cat to the vet last week, he was absolutely amazed at how well this stuff has been working. His teeth looked great for once. (It also really helps on bad breath)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

My cat hates the dental water additives, to I got a product called Nature's Dentist. You sprinkle it onto their food twice a day. I have a cat who has extremely bad teeth. I've been using it for a few months, and when I took my cat to the vet last week, he was absolutely amazed at how well this stuff has been working. His teeth looked great for once. (It also really helps on bad breath)
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into it!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my vet uses and suggested I use a half and half mixture of my normal kibble (which I love and is high quality) and the vet dental mixture. I'll be trying it out starting a few days from now when my move finishes. Otherwise, I think I'm going to try the licking of the toothpaste trick, myself....well, not myself, just chester, but you know what I mean.