babbittd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use the rubbermaid containers for our litterboxes. They work great!, my husband cut the opening in the side of them with wire cutters, and then sanded the sharp edges.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Paulena

Maybe a Dremmel tool (I think that is what it is called) might work out!!
I was thinking a Dremmel or perhaps a saughtering iron would work to melt/cut the hole.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babbittd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, I will try again with wire cutters and a dremel.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 5 of the Rubbermaid boxes in the house as litter boxes. One of them is for my mom's cat and the other 4 are mine. I cut mine with a jig saw. I made marks on the box of where I wanted to cut the opening, then I used a drill to drill a starting hole at the corners. I put the jigsaw in the holes and cut it out. They work great!

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a type of saw blade used for cutting ceramic tile that looks like a thick piece of wire coated with a coarse abrasive. It's not too expensive. You can get one at a hardware or home supply store. It cuts in any direction. Use a file to tweak the shape of the hole after cutting. Get some coarse and fine sand paper to smooth the edges. If you place masking tape on each side of the hole where you make your cuts, and not take it off till you're done sanding you should get a pretty professional looking hole in the side of the container.

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, they don't make sandpaper specifically for plastic that I know of anyway. Just get the cheapest stuff you can find. For straight edges, wrap it around a ruler or something. For curved areas wrap it around an empty paper towel tube or something like that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i cut an access hold in the side of a dishpan for Firefox when she was really tiny. i used a Dremel-type rotary cutter to start it, then just scissors, then sanded the cut with the rotary tool & the sander extension. but i'd like to get one of those hot knives - Skippymjp's 'cat condo' cuts are really smooth-looking.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a really dumb question - why cut a hole in the side? Why not let them jump in from the top?

I use Sterilite bins because they are about half the price of Rubbermaid and the sizes they sell aren't quite as tall but have equal volume. My cats jump over the top edge.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it`s just my imagineation...but are`nt the clear containers a more brittle plastic than the colored ones? We buy the colored ones and my hubby cuts the opening with a utility knife with no problem.
Linda