Any advice? Going back to school!!!

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going back to school after 11 years! I graduated HS 11 years ago, and never went to college. I've been working in accounting for almost 10 years, and I'm just now going to college for my first class. My class starts August 30, and I am nervous as heck about it!!!
I really don't know why I'm so nervous, I'm not a 'shy, hide in the corner' kind of person, but I'm 29 years old, and I have not idea what to expect when I get there! Any advice????

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a tape recorder with you so you can record the teachers' lectures. That'll come in handy when you go home for homework.
I'm going back to school myself to an online college. I'll hopefully be getting my school supplies in the mail in about a week!

Good luck to you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good thought...Tape recorder, check! I'm jotting it down now so I don't forget! Thanks! And good luck to you also. What are you going back to school for? I'm taking accounting classes (that my employer is paying for, lucky me!)

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If thirty is the new twenty, then you're about the right age--you're the new 18. Really though, you'll be even better in school because you're more mature and you will value it more than if you were fresh outta high school, I think. Good luck to ya and I respect you for doing this.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll probably LOVE it! And, if you've already been doing the work for a few years, you will probably be able to teach the instructors a thing or two.
Are you going to learn more, or are you going to just get the degree to do what you are already doing?

I agree that you will be more focused on college than kids coming right out of high school. I often wished I would have taken a few years off before going to college because, honestly, I did enough to get by and that was it. A few years after I graduated, I took a continuing learning class in phlebotomy and aced it (as in 100% thank you!) because it was so good to use my brain again! Also, I didn't have parties and drama to deal with because I wasn't a "real" college student...meaning I was more mature and concentrated on what mattered.

If you're worried about the social thing, think about this. Do you want to go to keg parties? You are probably not the only one that isn't interested in them, and from the way you described yourself, I don't think you will have a problem fitting in. And, you will be one of the ones that show up to class on Monday morning...without a hangover!

Congrats on taking this step!!

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're a fast typist, a laptop will be most helpful for some of your classes, obviously math, not being one of them. If you can afford it, purchase the most lightweight laptop in your budget category.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great!! I went back to school 8 years after graduating hs and I did so much better than when I attempted college classes in hs. My biggest piece of advice that I can give you is to give yourself time to get used to being in school again. It took me a month or 2 to get used to being in school again, but once I got used to it, my grades were always at the top of the class (well, except my nursing classes--I was in the middle of the pack with those). Be patient with yourself!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to go back to school as I never finished college.

The tape recorder is the best advice here!!!

Good luck, just take everything a day at a time and you'll do great!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm also 29 and going back to school! I start on Aug 27th
I did go a year to college, but then I lost my scholarship and then college just fell by the wayside. I'm going for a degree in business, management human resources to be exact, and my company pays for it also
can't beat that. I know my main challenge in going to be time management, I am a tried and true procratinator so I know I'll need to buckle down and get my studying done

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!! I am also on my way back to school (though since it's a total switch from what i've been doing...it's coming out of my bank account). I can't wait...i'm counting the days actually. Though like you i'm very nervous. I like the idea of a tape recorder, though i've since the new digital recorders for about $100 and they hold several gigabytes of memory and attach directly to your computer to download, burn etc.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THEIR NEW EDUCATION ADVENTURES!!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sissy's Mommy

Good thought...Tape recorder, check! I'm jotting it down now so I don't forget! Thanks! And good luck to you also. What are you going back to school for? I'm taking accounting classes (that my employer is paying for, lucky me!)
Thats fantastic for you! I'm currently 45 credits into a business accounting degree and I'm 28. Only I'm incurring TONS of debt in student loans to do it.

Originally Posted by Taurus77

If thirty is the new twenty, then you're about the right age--you're the new 18. Really though, you'll be even better in school because you're more mature and you will value it more than if you were fresh outta high school, I think. Good luck to ya and I respect you for doing this.
Fantastic... I'm the new 18 too! LOL It really will be a good thing for you. I tried right after HS to do college and ended up getting 2 F's cuz I got bored with it and quit going to class. Now, I'm older, wiser, and eager to learn! It makes a world of difference. I get excited about homework and love showing of my good GPA. If your taking frosh level classes be prepared to be surrounded by teenagers. LOL If your taking accoutning classes I don't think a lap top will help much but a recorder might be a good idea. I prefer to take notes my hand as I learn better that way. After the first week or two you should have a good idea of how to organize yourself most efficiently. It's different for everyone since we all learn best in different way.

Good luck and have fun!