What's the Best Treatment To Use For Getting Rid Of Ear Mites??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using some stuff that I purchase from the vet which seems to work temporarily, but after about a week or so the
ear mites make a reappearance!

I've heard that using vegetable oil will "suffocate" the ear mites, and is harmless to the cat. And I remember when I was a kid, my dad used to use Listerine in the dogs' ear to kill the mites. I don't know if I should try these "home remedies" myself b/c I obviously don't want to hurt my babies in any way.
But I'm getting frustrated b/c I hate to see them being irritated by the mites, and I'm about to try just about anything which might work!
I don't even know where they're picking them up from, b/c they don't even go outside!

Does anyone have any suggestions??

KittKatt

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to the vet ... they have the safest and most effective

G

ghostuser

Maybe something like Revolution would keep working longer and therefore kill them all off? It seems more likely to me that they're not all dying, rather than picking them up over and over somehow when inside..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Go to the vet ... they have the safest and most effective
That's where I got the stuff from, which is why I don't understand why the stuff doesn't seem to be working properly!?

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Maybe something like Revolution would keep working longer and therefore kill them all off? It seems more likely to me that they're not all dying, rather than picking them up over and over somehow when inside..
Yes, I agree. It doesn't seem like the stuff is killing off the ear mites completely, which is why I'm confused! It's supposed to be the good stuff, b/c it comes from the vet.

~KK~

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution for ear mites. Which you get from your vet but it works better than the ear mite drops they give.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your vet give you Revolution and if so, how did you apply it? I use Revolution and it works great and it got rid of ear mites, when one our cats had them. Revolution also gets rid of fleas and prevents heart worm as well.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my baby had ear mites, the vet administered a one-time liquid in her ears. It got rid of the suckers real good. Don't know what it's called. A few weeks later I noticed her shaking her head and I took her back because I thought the ear mites were back but it ended up being wax buildup...which she gets sometimes...

Are you sure they still have ear mites?

I also use Revolution on both my cats...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize for not responding sooner to this thread!
It's been rather hectic the past few days with Geronimo getting sick & finding out that he's also FIP positive (just like Winchester.
.), so needless to say, my mind has been elsewhere.

No, I haven't tried the Revolution - I don't know if my vet carries it.
I've always used Advantage for fleas, and some kind of earmite stuff that the vet sells. But I'll be sure to ask him if he carries the Revolution: maybe it'll work better - not just for fleas, but also for earmites..

Thanks, peeps, for your advice & suggestions.

~KK~

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, you have to make sure you clean their ears out every time you treat them. If you do not, you can get a re-occurance. My Molly had nasty ear mites. So, I went the route of Revolution AND the ear mite meds. That finally licked it, but I plan to be Revolutioning her for awhile, which has helped as well.