They are supposed to have extremely LONG lives,

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris, so please do not go about knocking my baby Giant Saguaro over and breaking pots and dumping dirt all over the freshly painted windowsill.

I have no idea where the potting soil is - or the cacti soil, for that matter, and these seven year old, two-inch tall babies that I've grown from seed are as special to me as you are.

I plan to return them to their natural habitat someday when they are at least 6 inches tall, to ensure their survival. I made them a promise when they were planted, and I intend to keep it. Murdering them in their beds just isn't allowable.

It takes them up to 100 years to get to be 25 feet tall, and start growing limbs!

Ferris, once Meowmy has fixed her baby Saguaro back up again, please keep your clumsy paws to yourself, thank you!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad Ferris! Bad boy!!

I've had saguaro cacti in my house and those are really, really thorny. You can only hope that he learned a lesson when he batted them out of the pot.

(but mine knocked mine over also and chewed them to pieces. go figure...)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Ferris, so please do not go about knocking my baby Giant Saguaro over and breaking pots and dumping dirt all over the freshly painted windowsill.

I have no idea where the potting soil is - or the cacti soil, for that matter, and these seven year old, two-inch tall babies that I've grown from seed are as special to me as you are.

I plan to return them to their natural habitat someday when they are at least 6 inches tall, to ensure their survival. I made them a promise when they were planted, and I intend to keep it. Murdering them in their beds just isn't allowable.

It takes them up to 100 years to get to be 25 feet tall, and start growing limbs!

Ferris, once Meowmy has fixed her baby Saguaro back up again, please keep your clumsy paws to yourself, thank you!
Buttttt Mommmmmmm.... everything is a cat toy!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But when he knocks them over he gets such a funny reaction from you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oooh, can you show us pictures of your cacti? I've never seen them that tiny!
I haven't yet unpacked my hoosey-whatsee for downloading my pics, but when I do I'll try to remember to take some pics of them. I have about a dozen or so all together, all planted the same time but they are varying heights, with the largest close to 3 1/2 inches tall and quite plump.

I went on a business trip to Phoenix back in 2000, and bought a seed package then. The directions for planting include the request that they come home to AZ someday when they are tall enough to be planted in the desert. I thought that sounded like a good plan, and as I would love to retire to AZ someday, at minimum, it gives me an excuse to return to the area.

It is amazing to me that from the tiniest seed (no larger than a mustard seed) comes the tallest cactus in the world. It's a bit of a shame that I won't live to see them grow their first branch.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have grown mine as well from seed. i found they LOVE maricle grow(sp)
I started mine 2 years ago, and they are already 10 inches tall!!! one didnt make it, tigger ate it, lil brat :p

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But Mooooooooooooooooooooooom, it JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMPED on me! (My Fawn knows about plants that jump on unsuspecting kitties
)