Iams Multicat vs. Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul ADULT Formula (soft stool)

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO... before I joined TCS, I was fairly confident with my choice of Iams MultiCat and felt that I was doing best for my kitties in my decision of Iams MultiCat Chicken for their diet.

I'm not rich so I cannot afford anything that will cost me $20 for a 8lb bag.

Currently Iams MultiCat Chicken Costs me $23 for a 16-20lb bag (I'm not sure which size it is, but its around there)

SINCE joining I've been hearing alot about this Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul ADULT Formula I've done my reserch on it, I really like the ingredients (but I thought one wanted to avoid fish ingredients, thus my hesitation) & its cheaper than my current brand, has great reviews, seems to be higher quality overall...

Horatio has soft stool, not runny, but has ALWAYS had soft STINKY stool, taken samples to the vet, come up with NO problems. Other than it may be diet. The VET suggested Iams. Even on Iams he has soft stinky Stool, the boy can clear a room.

If not Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul ADULT Formula, (because of the fish... because I've heard fish can cause problems... am I wrong on this?) Then within my price range...

WHAT food would one recommend? Experience with Soft Stool & food helping it to firm up?
Obviously perhaps the Iams is too rich?

p.s. They've been on Iams Multicat for Several Months (since I got Yuki) before that Horatio was on Purina One Weight Management.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the Chicken Soup.

I'm alone in this, but I hate that MultiCat stuff. I feed Iams, but Zissou got skinnier when she was the skinnier one, and the other two (my sister's) got fatter and they were already overweight. The exact opposite of what it is supposed to do. As soon as they all started back to the original formula, Zissou gained a little flub (she weighs 10 lbs) and the other two lost a little.

Chicken Soup has better ingredients also.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say try the chn soup if it too causes issues try something basic like natural choice or california natural

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the fish in CS (chicken soup) is not enough to really cause an issue IMO but I say try it, I have my 12 on it and no one has stinky poo, and to have a food agree with 12 cats is a pretty great achievement
also, CS has better ingredients as a whole than Iams

rescue mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know with Canidae, I use it for my dogs because of the high fiber content. It firms up my dogs stool and also doesn't cost me a fortune.

I am guessing Felidae would be similar. I don't know about prices, yet, as I haven't even looked into prices on cat foods yet. Just a thought though.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a long time user of Iams (adult/kitten) but since they've changed their formula, and Charlie's breeder also quit using it, I now feed Royal Canin (like the breeder).

RC tho is higher price (we only have 2 cats so its not so bad). I'd go with the Chicken Soup and see what happens.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great advice from everyone. I especially agree with sharky, I am a big fan of simple formulas.
The only thing I'd say about Chicken Soup is that its very affordable and has good ingredients, I have read however that it makes some kitties gassy.
I think if you try it, you will be able to tell if you kitties do well on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

Great advice from everyone. I especially agree with sharky, I am a big fan of simple formulas.
The only thing I'd say about Chicken Soup is that its very affordable and has good ingredients, I have read however that it makes some kitties gassy.
I think if you try it, you will be able to tell if you kitties do well on it.
Thank you for all the great Advice...
He did have horrid kitty gas while on Purina both the One & the One weight management.
He has none while on Iams.

So I've been doing my research & that, Chicken Soup sounds really good... reading the 1 comment from someone saying that their kitty had foul poop while on it is making me leary... if his poop gets any more foul... our walls will melt

I've been reading up on Authority as well... any thoughts on that one

UGH... its all so confusing... so many foods... its all so confusing...

I REALLY like California Natural because of the few ingredients, but the closest place that carries it is 15-20 miles away & that certianly is not convienent ;( & to pay for shipping certianly hikes up the price on that

**edit** scratch that... called a local store, that carries the Chicken soup to see if by chance they DO carry the California Natural & they do, but its $17.99 for an 8lb bag... no way I can afford that... its $20.99 for a 17lb bag of Chicken Soup... I can afford that... so I guess I'll be trying that. IF I don't try the Authoirty... I'm still not sure.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Authority is *ok* but it is a little corn heavy and I would rather spend the extra 3 dollars on something that had no corn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Authority is *ok* but it is a little corn heavy and I would rather spend the extra 3 dollars on something that had no corn
Um yeah that.. unless any UTI issues are present or have been...

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never seen the Chicken Soup products, do they sell this in Canada? If so I will have to give it a try. They are on Purina One and Performatrin wet food, but I know the Purina One isn't the best food I can be getting for them.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Um yeah that.. unless any UTI issues are present or have been...
So Corn IS good if there is a history of UTI or BAD if there is a history of UTI?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

So Corn IS good if there is a history of UTI or BAD if there is a history of UTI?
It can be good if the formula is chicken or beef based ... as the corn or corn gluten provides NATURALLY high levels of Methothine an amino acid that is very helpful with preventing UTI issues

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It can be good if the formula is chicken or beef based ... as the corn or corn gluten provides NATURALLY high levels of Methothine an amino acid that is very helpful with preventing UTI issues
Thank You.
As I was told Horatio did have UTI issues as a kitten before I adopted him.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my six on Chicken Soup Adult Light (regular adult in the winter) and they all do well. They're a little pudgy (Garfield weighs 19lbs) but I free feed. I havent had any problems with it, no gas. Chester had a UTI years ago so I mix the CS with Purina UT health (hate feeding Purina but dont want to risk anything). Anyhow, I like it, I like their ingredients and I really like their canned food for a special treat. Good Luck!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided I'm going to go with Authority Adult Cat Food - Indoor Formula

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you made your choice, but I just wanted to add, The rescue I got the kittens from has them on science diet kitten food, and although they were eating it, the didn't seem to enjoy it?

Plus it looks like koi fish food to me!

I went to our local small pet store (Village paws and claws) and they gave me various free samples of dry kitten food. One of them being chicken soup FTPLS kitten food.

I put a bit of each down for the boys and they went right to the Chicken soup food and wolfed it down in about 0.23 seconds

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've been doing my research & that, Chicken Soup sounds really good... reading the 1 comment from someone saying that their kitty had foul poop while on it is making me leary... if his poop gets any more foul... our walls will melt
That is the only reason I took Gizmo off of chicken soup. I switched over to Nutro max and now I don't even notice the smell.

If you still have a problem when he's on Authority I'd give Chicken Soup a try. Overall it's a good food, and many cats do very well on it.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wildflower79

That is the only reason I took Gizmo off of chicken soup. I switched over to Nutro max and now I don't even notice the smell.

If you still have a problem when he's on Authority I'd give Chicken Soup a try. Overall it's a good food, and many cats do very well on it.
That is SO funny that you post about Nutro Max... I end up going to PetSmart to buy Authority... so happens the Max Cat sales rep was at the store saw me roaming the cat food isle... I talked about Horatios poopies... & she (of course it's her job
) got me to buy a 20 lb bag of Nutro Max Adult Roasted Chicken Flavor, plus she had a $5 off coupon for me & gave me another coupon for my next bag