I'm getting a new tattoo!!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I decided to post this as a poll to get all of your opinions. This is my first poll ever so if I screw it up, sorry 'bout that
. I have decided to get a tattoo that says "Carpe Diem" on the inside of my left wrist just to remind myself to live every day to the fullest. The last couple of years have not been the easiest and I want to remind myself to just live life. Here's my dilemna-- I'm not sure which way to make the writing face. Should I make it so that it is facing me and I can read it when I look at it OR should I make it so that others can read it when I show it to them? I think (and my sister agrees!) that I should make it so that I can read it. What do you think?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on what you do for work, or on what you plan to do for work in the future. Wrist tats can be seen quite easily, and they may be unprofessional depending on your line of work.

Otherwise, I'd say, do it so YOU can read it - after all, who are you getting it FOR?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I think it depends on what you do for work, or on what you plan to do for work in the future. Wrist tats can be seen quite easily, and they may be unprofessional depending on your line of work.

Otherwise, I'd say, do it so YOU can read it - after all, who are you getting it FOR?
I am a nurse so basically if I wear a large enough wristwatch or bracelet, it will be covered. This is tattoo number 6 for me and I always made sure that I could cover them before, but this one is one that I want to see and have others see! It's going to be red or orange so it will be one that you won't really miss!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Towards you! although with wrist tats they can be easy to hide. You can wear a large bangle bracelet or large banded watch over it if you have to hide it. I have a friend that does that.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you can read it.

But a small suggestion... when it comes to wrist tattoos, I've found it helpful to put it on your wrist in such a way that if you have to, you can cover it with a big watch for work. So before you get it, I say put a watch on and figure out where you're comfortable wearing it, and then tattoo it there.

Well obviously, put it where you want
But I mean it's something to consider. I know what it's like having to hide tattoos for work... (which is one of the reasons I am not an office job type of person, but thats another story) .. and if you plan on working in an office, it just might be a good idea to plan ahead with a watch, that's all.

EDIT: Whoops I was typing and didnt see that you already posted about a watch. Nevermind

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I say put a watch on and figure out where you're comfortable wearing it, and then tattoo it there.
You know, that is a great suggestion that I never even thought about. Watches don't necassarily sit where I would want my tattoo.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get it so You can read it! Besides, if someone's beside you they'll be able to see it too!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went and got my tattoo today and, I must say, it is beautiful! If I can get my phone to take a decent picture of it, I'll put it up. My camera's batteries are dead and the new recharger that I bought isn't charging.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This was the best picture that I could get of my new tat. I did not plan on it being this large and it can definately not be covered by a watch, but it just seemed right. I love it!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh oh oh, here's a thought -- did you read "The DaVinci Code?" Remember the calligraphy in there, the designs of words and phrases that read the same both right side up and upside down? Maybe you can design a "Carpe Diem" like that!

EDIT: Sheesh... evidently I'm too late with that idea!
But anyway, I misremembered -- it was not in "The DaVinci Code," but in the prequel, "Angels & Demons" (which is actually an even better book, I think).

And the tattoo is beautiful! Very nice work!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh oh oh, here's a thought -- did you read "The DaVinci Code?" Remember the calligraphy in there, the designs of words and phrases that read the same both right side up and upside down? Maybe you can design a "Carpe Diem" like that!

EDIT: Sheesh... evidently I'm too late with that idea!
But anyway, I misremembered -- it was not in "The DaVinci Code," but in the prequel, "Angels & Demons" (which is actually an even better book, I think).

And the tattoo is beautiful! Very nice work!
i remember those designs, & you're right - that would've been cool... but i think it would be really hard to design something like that.
looks good, even tho it is too large to hide with a watch. i would've voted for that direction, too - IMO, you get tattoos for yourself, so you should be able to see them.