My Cats Weird Dog Behavior

mahtaram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was hoping someone explain this to me or tell if their cats also do this. I can't tell if my cats are doing this because they are overly excited or because they are scared.
What they do is very similar to dogs in that sometimes they open their mouths and keep it open while breathing somewhat heavily, and kind of have their tongue stick out the front of their mouths very similar to what I have seen so many dogs do when you take them out.
I was wondering if this was normal. They usually do this when I let them go outside and they come back in, or when I put them in the car.
Thanks

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This could be:

A. it's hot outside so the cat is panting
B. Stress from being out of the house

Has this happened to you several times? How often are you bringing the cat inside and outside? Is it hot outside?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats rarely pant like a dog unless its really hot where they are or it could be due to heart problems and over exertion.

Sometimes too much stress can make them pant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mahtaram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I let my cat out once a day for about 20 min., and he does this maybe once a week, and a lot more in the car. It's not too hot in my house nor in the car.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mahtaram

I let my cat out once a day for about 20 min., and he does this maybe once a week, and a lot more in the car. It's not too hot in my house nor in the car.
Animals have different ways of 'getting rid of the heat'. You, as a human, would sweat... animals pant. Maybe it isn't the heat why he's panting, but to me that is what it sounds like. Temperature definitely affects us differently then cats.

Make sure the cat has plenty of water available, as well! So he can't get dehydrated.

If you have ruled out the heat possibility, maybe you should bring the cat to the vet for a checkup. It could very well be that the cat is freaking out because it's in an environment that he's not used to....

Good luck!