Food Network - Addict or Not?

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so it was a lazy weekend.. WE did nothing but watch TV.. i swear it!! It rocked!!

Okay, so I watched the norms: Sharkweek, and Fallen on ABC family..

But I got hooked on Food Network, it's like I watched it for hours on end..

Everday Italian with Giada
Simply Deliciouso with Ingrid
Barefoot Contessa with Ina
Bad Boy Bites with that one guy

Anyone else get addicted to watching that channel...

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YES! I
Food network! But I always end up watching it late at night and I end up going to bed hungry!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I LOVE that network! I wish I could have the regulars (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc.) and just the food network. I pretty much love every show, except I don't really like the cake challenges or ones that are about a lot of sweets (I don't have much of a sweet tooth), but I love the ones with hearty yummy meals being cooked. I love Everyday Italian!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

I LOVE that network! I wish I could have the regulars (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc.) and just the food network. I pretty much love every show, except I don't really like the cake challenges or ones that are about a lot of sweets (I don't have much of a sweet tooth), but I love the ones with hearty yummy meals being cooked. I love Everyday Italian!
Oh I know Giada rocks.. She makes the best food.. She made this bachelor mac and cheese, and OH I want it soo bad!!

I have no clue why I do this to myself....I had surgery back in March, and so I can't really eat all that, but god I love to watch it.. LOL

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

But I got hooked on Food Network, it's like I watched it for hours on end..

Everday Italian with Giada
Simply Deliciouso with Ingrid
Barefoot Contessa with Ina
Bad Boy Bites with that one guy

Anyone else get addicted to watching that channel...
I enjoy some shows on the Food Network. I wouldn't say I'm addicted because I don't specifically make a point to tune into a show.

I do occasionallyl enjoy:

30 Minute Meals
Barefoot Contessa
Iron Chef (Japan)

Everyday Italian has gotten better. I remember watching it a year or so ago and was aghast at the lack of hygiene on the show. I saw her mixing up ground meat with her hands, then wiping her hands on a dry towel and then still with dirty hands touching food and utensils cross contaminating everything with deadly ecoli. Then in the end showing people eating the food she had cooked

I was so put off and sickened by what I saw that I actually wrote to the Network and complained. They wrote me back and told me some song and dance about how there is only limited time in the show and that she tends to do more dishes and more complicated dishes than some other shows, and that people know that they should be washing their hands.

I wrote them back and told them that many new cooks watch these shows to learn how to cook and look to the host as an example, and that many don't know to wash their hands and the dangers of ecoli from cross contamination from raw meat.

I pointed out that most other shows show either the host washing their hands, or a clip of them washing their hands periodically in the show after handling raw meat, and that it isn't necessary to show Giada standing there cutting up 5 eggplants when they could use some of that redundant time to add in a hand washing clip or segment.

I noticed not long after that there were hand washing clips and segments added into the show. However, ever since I saw her, a trained Chef, ignoring a vital cooking health rule, I've been turned off of her show.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I...aghast at the lack of hygiene...
Right on, sister!
I enjoy cooking shows, but I would never think of eating anything those chefs make... it's just sickening. Thanks for standing up for cleanliness!

Have you ever watched "The New Yankee Workshop" with Norm Abram (a big hero of mine)? At the beginning of every show, he repeats the same spiel about shop safety, and his fans can recite it like catechism:

"Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these -- safety glasses."

Well, maybe we should write a similar admonition for the Food Network to run during cooking shows! Maybe we can even get Dan Aykroyd to tape it for 'em dressed up as Julia Child!

Here's a possible script...

"Be sure to educate yourself sufficiently in microbiology to develop a useful level of paranoia in the kitchen. Knowing what lethal bacteria may be multiplying on your cutting board and utensils will greatly reduce the risk of giving your family botulism. And remember this: there is no more important sanitation rule than to wash these -- your hands. A lot!"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You always see Rachael Ray and Ina Garten washing their hands after handling raw meat, and they even talk about the importance of separate cutting boards. And get this...neither of them are actual trained Chefs!

You would think that a trained chef like Giada would know better and be the one pushing hygiene and food safety while the others floundered around wiping their hands on dry towels after mixing ground meat with their hands and then proceeding to touch everything in the kitchen!!!!

It seems that the non trained chefs are the ones with the attitude towards cleanliness and food safety.

crouchingcheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, my fiance hates it when I change the channel for 47, because he knows I'm either going to be sucked into Food Network for the next couple of hours, or I'll go up one channel and watch Animal Planet.

I love a lot of the shows on there. I'm not too much into Bobby Flay, or even Mario Batali's show, but here are some of my favorites (the ones I can remember):

30 Minute Meals
Semi-Homemade Cooking
Good Eats (easily my favorite show ever!
)
Iron Chef and Iron Chef America
All of the Cake - Offs
$40 a day
Ace of Cakes
Barefoot Contessa
All American Festivals
Diners, Drive ins and Dives
Dinner: Impossible
Feasting on Asphalt (I'm the biggest Alton Brown fan
)
Ham on the Street
Paula's Home Cooking
Unwrapped

Despite my numerous hours of Food Network addiction, I'm still the crummiest cook ever. Although, I can make a pretty mean smoothie.....

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Love Food Net, and use the recipes all the time... Love Ina Garten, Giada, Rachael, Paula, Unwrapped and all the contests. I have met Paula Deen and Alton Brown at our book store, and could have met Giada, but didn't know she was going to be here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You always see Rachael Ray and Ina Garten washing their hands after handling raw meat, and they even talk about the importance of separate cutting boards. And get this...neither of them are actual trained Chefs!

You would think that a trained chef like Giada would know better and be the one pushing hygiene and food safety while the others floundered around wiping their hands on dry towels after mixing ground meat with their hands and then proceeding to touch everything in the kitchen!!!!

It seems that the non trained chefs are the ones with the attitude towards cleanliness and food safety.
I've gotta stand up for Giada, sorry.. I just watched her shows this weekend, and she washed her hands and changed cutting boards, and cleaned things off.. Maybe she just needed reminding..