A little cooking help needed.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've acquired a 1 and half pound boneless leg of lamb that is currently marinating in garlic and mint.

I was going to roast it in the oven with some wine as the base of a sauce, but I can't really figure out what type of wine to use. I have a lovely red Merlot, but do you think that's going to over power anything?

Let me know what you think!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I've acquired a 1 and half pound boneless leg of lamb that is currently marinating in garlic and mint.

I was going to roast it in the oven with some wine as the base of a sauce, but I can't really figure out what type of wine to use. I have a lovely red Merlot, but do you think that's going to over power anything?

Let me know what you think!
Merolt swould be nice with some brunoise (finely diced) shallots. "YUM"

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

MMMMMM I love lamb!!!

I only get lamb when I go back to the UK, there isnt a wide choice in the shops here, plus hubby hates the stuff.

No idea about your question tho sorry!
Our local Costco sells really tasty New Zealand lamb for roasting!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on the Merlot. I find some to be more on the flowery side than the peppery side of taste. For the lamb you would want a more peppery wine. Just make sure the undernotes are of pepper and earth. Swirl it in a glass, take just a bit in your mouth and hold it at the back of your throught. Pay attention to what you taste.

I also find as bizzar as this will sound add just a pinch of lavender. Its the secret spice for amazing lamb. I saw it on a cooking show a few years ago. They said you can use it with any style of marinade. The lavender brings out the true taste of the lamb. I have tried it with a basic rub of pepper, garlic and salt but I have also done it with more of a cajin style and both times it was the most amazing lamb I ever tried.

I just talk too my DH and he said for lamb you really want a dry white wine more than a red. A red may over power the meat. The red would work to drink with it but for cooking it use a pinot grigio, a savignon blanc of some chardanays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

How'd it turn out then?
Really good!

It was rather strong tasting, so I think I should wait until spring to buy lamb again.

In the fall I'm going to do some mutton stew!