Kitten and Claw Control

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4-month old kitten and she doesnt seem to have full control of her claws yet.

For instance, when shes sitting on my lap and playing with me, she wont use her claws. But sometimes when she jumps off my lap or jumps up to me from the floor..her claws will come out and scratch me. Also..when I'm sleeping under the covers, she start clawing at my body beneath. Sometimes she'll claw at my clothes, while I'm still wearing them!

I'm constantly getting claw marks all over my arms and legs.

She used to be better at this, but lately, it seems that her behavior has regressed and she is inadvertently scratching me more often. She's also developed a bad habit of attacking my feet with her teeth and claws.

I've tried saying NO really loud, hissing at her, and the water bottle but she continues to claw me every now and then.

Is this a phase that she will grow out of? Is there something else I can do to train her how to use her claws better?

thanks!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a stage and they'll grow out of it hopefully sooner rather than later!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it doesn't sound like anything abnormal. She doesn't use her claws when playing, that is a good thing. She uses her claws when she jumps off things, most cats do. Scratching you under the covers is her kneading you, that probably won't stop, that is a comfort thing and a compliment to you, please don't punish her for that.

When was the last time you clipped her claws? If you haven't lately then that is your own fault if she hurts you
If it is really bad still, even with her claws clipped short, then try looking into Soft Claws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does use her claws and teeth when shes playing with my feet. Though I try to discourage her from doing that.

Most of the time when she jumps off me, she doesnt seem to use her claws. Every now and then, she will. Which leads me to believe that she is still learning..

do cats ever knead without using their claws?

I clip her nails about once a month. Just the front paws though. Maybe I need to clip them more often?

thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Jen

Well, it doesn't sound like anything abnormal. She doesn't use her claws when playing, that is a good thing. She uses her claws when she jumps off things, most cats do. Scratching you under the covers is her kneading you, that probably won't stop, that is a comfort thing and a compliment to you, please don't punish her for that.

When was the last time you clipped her claws? If you haven't lately then that is your own fault if she hurts you
If it is really bad still, even with her claws clipped short, then try looking into Soft Claws.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I forgot what you said about your feet, she WILL row out of that most likely. But I would discourage her from doing that. But that is good she doesn't use them when playing with you otherwise.

Kneading is almost always done with claws. It is especially nice when they lay on your back and knead your back! But I would definately clip the claws more often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she does knead my back and arms...but with her claws, they are like little pinpricks each time. ouch! time to clip the clawzz!

Originally Posted by Jen

Kneading is almost always done with claws. It is especially nice when they lay on your back and knead your back! But I would definately clip the claws more often.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd check and clip those nails once a week. I can't stand those sharp tips - kittens seem worse then adults

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the feet/hand attacking problem as well, but like someone said, it's just a phase. However, I want to try my best to discourage it early on, because he can get a little rough. So, I've been keeping a cat toy on hand whenever possible...so if the kitten starts attacking me, I'll just give him the toy instead. Whenever he goes for my hands or feet, I try not to wiggle my fingers or toes around and just move away. Its no fun for him, then. It seems to be helping.