New stray kitten - already have two brothers

anubisntealc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all I guess you could call me new since I havent been on since 2005...But I have two male cats: Anubis - he is the one who is in control at my house - but he is chicken - he loves me but certain people he will hiss at - you can never tell who he will like or dislike. Then we have Teal'c he is the "kid at heart" he loves to play and get into trouble...both are indoor cats - never been outside for more that 10 min they are both little over 2 years old (brothers) and have been the "kings of the castle for 2 years. Here is my problem...
Friday night - While at a bon fire with some friends this little kitten came wandering into my friends backyard - (at least I think he is a he) he looked so dirty & what a cutie - and boy was he hungry. For 2 hours he stayed with me and didnt seem like he wanted to leave my side - by this time it was around 3 am in the morning - the neighbor hood that my friends live in is not that nice - I couldnt bear leaving the cutie so I took him home with me. I let him eat some more when i got home and get water (while my boys looked on very curiously) and then gave him a bath he was pretty good with it - but not happy after words. I took him in my room and closed the door he slept with me and was fine.

Now Teal'c seems interested in the new kitty (name TBD) he follows him everywhere and sniffs his tail and stuff will hiss at times. Anubis go toward the new kitty but never that close - he hides (in spots were you can clearly see him but can tell he is trying to hide) his hisses at me and my 7 year old and refuses to let me pet him
Of course because it was so late when I brought him in the house the first night I was stupid and let him eat out of my boys bowl and go potty in their litter box. Should I do the seperation thing now or is it too late. I know it is way to early to see a change in my cats with the new addition. But I am wondering what I can do to show them they are not being replaced.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Separate them. The new cat needs to go to the vet ASAP to be sure he won't transmit something to your current cats.

Then I would start over on the introductions and try it slower.
I agree that you need to seperate them and have the new cat taken to the vet to have a general health check, if the new cat is intact, you should also have it spayed/neutered at that time. Plan on a few days of seperation after the vet visit since cats tend to get very scared at the vet and can bring back smells from the vet office that may be foreign to the other cats in the household, that plus stress can lead to fights during a time when the new cat should be resting.

Katie