help, kitty wants our bed!

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, yesterday was the first day of Figo in our house. At nite we made a nice cosy corner for him near our bed with fleece and towels and his bed has not been delivered as yet. We sat besides him and he relaxed and fell asleep, then as soon as me and my husband went to bed, he got up and started meowing, he just wanted to come on our bed. We tried ignoring them, and suddenly this little kitty made a high jump and there he was on our bed. We put him down several times and he just jumped back on. We couldnt sleep the whole night and finally we gave up and let him sleep. We love him to bits and were wondering what we could do so that he would sleep peacefully but not on our bed

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do not want him to sleep with you , then you`ll probably have to shut him out of your bedroom. It`s harder to train a cat to stay off your bed than it is a dog.
Of course, if he`s already decided that he likes sleeping in your bed, (does`nt take them long at all to get that one down pat!) then you may be in for some crying, and scratching on your bedroom door, if you close it.
One gal on here suggests that you put the sweeper just outside your bedroom door when you shut it, running the cord under the door into your room, leaveing the sweeper button turned to "ON", but keep it unplugged....until you hear the yowling or scratching...then plug it in for a second.
Most cats do not like the noise of a sweeper....so if you can get the little fella to associate his behavior with the sweeper noise starting up, you may be able to curb the undesired behavior.
Linda
PS If you let hime sleep with you he`ll probably help keep your feet warm at night in the winter!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

If you do not want him to sleep with you , then you`ll probably have to shut him out of your bedroom. It`s harder to train a cat to stay off your bed than it is a dog.
Of course, if he`s already decided that he likes sleeping in your bed, (does`nt take them long at all to get that one down pat!) then you may be in for some crying, and scratching on your bedroom door, if you close it.
One gal on here suggests that you put the sweeper just outside your bedroom door when you shut it, running the cord under the door into your room, leaveing the sweeper button turned to "ON", but keep it unplugged....until you hear the yowling or scratching...then plug it in for a second.
Most cats do not like the noise of a sweeper....so if you can get the little fella to associate his behavior with the sweeper noise starting up, you may be able to curb the undesired behavior.
Linda
PS If you let hime sleep with you he`ll probably help keep your feet warm at night in the winter!
Hi , thanks so much for the advice. I dont think my husband will agree to the sweeper being switched on in the middle of the night....though we will have to try keeping him out of our bedroom, with his bed next to the door and see how he does. I wouldnt mind at all him sleeping with us in our bed, but my bed is big enough just for 2 people, right now he is a kitten but being an exotic short hair he is going to grow into a big tubby boy
and then its going to be fight for space on the bed

Before we put him outside the bedroom we are going to try and get him to sleep in his own bed as soon as it arrives...do you think when he comes on the bed, squirting him with water pistol when he is not looking would help?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad that you don't want him sleeping with you! If space is a concern, he will find the confy space for himself to fit and if you toss and turn too much, he will move or jump off. I wouldn't worry about his comfort when it comes to your bed. I used to buy beds specifically for my cats, but they NEVER used them. They want to be on or near me or else on my clothes or in the hamper or somewhere that smells like me!

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
On the first day we got Mellow we allowed him to explore the bedroom, but once he explored it we brought him out of the room and for night time we shut him in the den with his bed (a fleece from walmart that we used as xmas decoration for our couch as it has raindeers on it) he meowed a bit once we shut the door, but he was quiet through the night, after the 4th night of having him we let him have the run of the appartment, we put a chair in front of the kitchen cabnit with the cleaning solvents in as he can open the doors, and we kept the bathroom door shut. he followed us to our bedroom and meowed, but after a because we were quiet he moved away and actually in the morning he was asleep on his blanket in the den.

We have found if he can hear us in the bedroom he cries outside the door, so we give him a couple of spoonfuls of wet food just b4 bed and he focuses on that while we are getting into bed.

Oh and the reason we shut him out is my hubby likes the room pitch black so we cant have the door open at night, so we would be shutting him in which wouldnt be fair. its better to keep him out of the room all the time other wise he would get confused that he can sometimes sleep in there and sometimes he cant.

When we get up in the mornings he is extra afectionate and very chatty to us, so its nice to know he missed us while we slept LOL

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband is a light sleeper. We had them in our room only one night. For about two hours they used us for spring boards and a race track. I tried letting them out in the rest of the house, but they would cry at the door, scratch at the door....in between racing up and down stairs etc. They are big cats so you can hear them easily.
We put both of the *boys* in my bathroom. Which is pretty large. 10 x 12. It is two rooms away. They have their tree...and all their *stuff* They know when we go to bed for the night ...so do they. But if they want to run around and play all night..they can do that too.
I let them out as soon as I get up and they are out all day even if I leave the house.
We are happy, they are happy...and we can cuddle in the evenings on the couch before bedtime.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty lucky. Moose sleeps with me at night (the other two don't), and he actually sleeps! He knows the command to "lay down", and I've never petted him while he's in the bed so he doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night for affection.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sophie's slept with us since he was a tiny baby and we have no problems. He knows that when it's night time and we're getting ready to sleep, it's time for him to get comfy and fall asleep....he's always asleep before me!!!!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keziah

Hi everyone, yesterday was the first day of Figo in our house. At nite we made a nice cosy corner for him near our bed with fleece and towels and his bed has not been delivered as yet. We sat besides him and he relaxed and fell asleep, then as soon as me and my husband went to bed, he got up and started meowing, he just wanted to come on our bed. We tried ignoring them, and suddenly this little kitty made a high jump and there he was on our bed. We put him down several times and he just jumped back on. We couldnt sleep the whole night and finally we gave up and let him sleep. We love him to bits and were wondering what we could do so that he would sleep peacefully but not on our bed
I couldn't imagine NOT having PHX sleep in bed with me....

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will probably find that kitty won't sleep in his designated bed, he will sleep in whatever looks like the best place to him. For most cats, that's where their people are, not the "kitty bed". At the very least, it's usually a high spot or someplace with a good view.

We don't have a bedroom door right now, so the kitties come and go as they please.
Bella either sleeps at the foot of the bed, or on the kitty tree that is just a little higher than the bed. Stanley sleeps under the dresser or right across the door way to the kitchen (I guess he wants to be first in line for breakfast). During the winter they both sleep on the bed, either next to us or on the pillows.

We have kitty beds in the parlor, but they are primarily used during the colder months for naps. Most of the time when I come home, both are sleeping on our bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keziah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, we have solved our issue. I placed Figo's favourite blanket, his feeding bowls and toys right outside my door, and after playing a while he fell asleep peacefully. He did not meow or anything like that and we didn't even need to close our door. In the morning he was happy and all full of energy purring away and has been running around and playing with us all day,touchwood.