Reaction to bad food

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If 3 people eat the same food would all 3 get sick if the food is bad?
We had dinner 4 hours ago and 2 hours afterwards my stomach started to hurt. I was just sick & no one else is.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Usually. From what I learned in classes for food preparation safety, food poisioning usually takes somewhere between 6 and 12 hours to affect you. I was a manager in a restaurant and this was also how we decided if people got food poisioning from our restaurant. I hope it is not anything serious and that you feel better soon.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it should affect everyone that ate it I think...perhaps its something else you ate? After that or before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Yeah it should affect everyone that ate it I think...perhaps its something else you ate? After that or before?
I had a bagel at 3:30pm and dinner at 6pm.
I just read that food poisoning with fish starts 30mins & on depending on the cause.

We had scallops & shrimp that was bought fresh on Thursday that was in the fridge. I had hot flashes with the stomach ache too. Now that I was sick I have the chills. I have a slight headache also but that was there before I ate.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just depends. Some people have more weak stomachs than others so they may get more ill while the other person only has mild signs. I've had food poisioning twice. The last time i had it- it gave me Colitis, my potassium lowered really drastically and i wound up in the ER sick as a dog back last March. Be careful- stay hydrated and write down any symptoms you have so if you get worse you can take it to the doctor. There's not too much they can do- it really just has to pass. BUT they can give you stuff to help with vomiting and to help prevent infection. (they gave me Cipro and Flagyl). They also gave me a few Iv's and potassium pills and that helped.

Just be careful- hopefully it will pass without needing to go to the doctor- but if you don't feel any better tomorrow- definitely make an appointment, don't let yourself suffer.
Feel better hon!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that people with a lower immune system can be affected and not the others so I am not sure if you would be sick from it or not. You may have also had a mild alergic reaction as well. Either way I hope that you start to feel better soon!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. So far I feel so much better since I was sick.
Mom is on heavy antibiotics for fluid in her ears.
DH is sleeping peacefully.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, there are no such thing as weak or strong stomachs - it is just the number of micro-organisms that you ingest that affect you - you could well have food poisoning. Don't forget the fluids, especially if you vomit. If you feel that you are getting worse, go and see the doctor.

Hope you feel better soon - I was not well last week and so I can sympathise.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you still puking? If it was food poisoning, you would probably still be puking and in the emergency room with an IV.

The body does strange things. I LOVE crab imperial in chicken, and I've eaten it so many times. I ate it one time a few years ago, and got so hot, and my throat started closing up. My mom thought I was going to pass out. The attack only lasted a few minutes but I was sick to my stomach for a few hours. Ended up having the flu a few days later. I guess my stomach didn't like it since it was already sensitive. I've eaten it since with no problems.

Also, I NEVER caught poison ivy, until a few years ago when DH and I cleaned out my mom's garden. The doctor said it was one of the worst cases of poison ivy he had ever seen. I had to take steriod pills...it was too bad for the shot. The only reason I went to the doctor was because I thought it went in my throat. Here, I had strep at the same time, so my body was busy trying to fight off the strep and didn't care about the poison ivy.

The body picks and choses what it whats to fight based on what is most dangerous for you.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like someone said earlier, it depends on how many of the micro-organisms were ingested and the ability for the person to fight off the "poison". I am assuming everyone ate the same thing? What did you eat?
Chicken may cause salmonella
Beef could be e-coli (as well as salad, fresh fruit, anything that isn't cooked fully)
Shellfish could be Vibrio
Of course, the list goes on, but it could be easier to narrow down what it may be, if indeed it is food poisoning, by determining what you ate first, then the symptoms.
And it could always be the food handler that contaminates food by improper heating and cooling techniques or sanitation.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

Like someone said earlier, it depends on how many of the micro-organisms were ingested and the ability for the person to fight off the "poison". I am assuming everyone ate the same thing? What did you eat?
Chicken may cause salmonella
Beef could be e-coli (as well as salad, fresh fruit, anything that isn't cooked fully)
Shellfish could be Vibrio
Of course, the list goes on, but it could be easier to narrow down what it may be, if indeed it is food poisoning, by determining what you ate first, then the symptoms.
And it could always be the food handler that contaminates food by improper heating and cooling techniques or sanitation.
I remember this from food mico but I don't know why DH isn't sick.
We had equal amounts of the food. Maybe I just had the bad pieces.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling that well Michele.
Normally, if it's food poisoning, more than one person will start to feel ill, and it can take anywhere from 6 hours and up.
There is only one theory I have. I no longer to go chinese buffets(much less chinese restaurants) because they cut the meat into large chunks and are often not well done. I normally get a little nauseated afterwards and it can last for hours.
Your stomach could be sensitive to certain types of food and you may not know it. Have you had this problem before with seafood? You just have to be careful with seafood to begin with. Could you be allergic to it?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling that well Michele.
Normally, if it's food poisoning, more than one person will start to feel ill, and it can take anywhere from 6 hours and up.
There is only one theory I have. I no longer to go chinese buffets(much less chinese restaurants) because they cut the meat into large chunks and are often not well done. I normally get a little nauseated afterwards and it can last for hours.
Your stomach could be sensitive to certain types of food and you may not know it. Have you had this problem before with seafood? You just have to be careful with seafood to begin with. Could you be allergic to it?
Thanks Hun!

I have had scallops & shrimp before. This is my 3rd time reacting this way when I had shrimp but I eat it way more than that. Seems to happen once a year. LoL

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Thanks Hun!

I have had scallops & shrimp before. This is my 3rd time reacting this way when I had shrimp but I eat it way more than that. Seems to happen once a year. LoL
It could just have been bad shrimp maybe? Are you feeling better at least?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeling much better today. I was sick only once but both ends(sorry TMI).

Thanks for the wishes and vibes.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I am feeling much better today. I was sick only once but both ends(sorry TMI).

Thanks for the wishes and vibes.
Yeah, usually being sick from both ends charcterizes food poisoning but it's odd you were the only one to get sick. Glad you feel better.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Yeah, usually being sick from both ends charcterizes food poisoning but it's odd you were the only one to get sick. Glad you feel better.
That's what is confusing me. LoL
Maybe I am more sensitive than them. Mom is on antibiotics for something else so that might have kept her safe.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to emedicine health food poisoning is the following:

"Food Poisoning Overview

Food poisoning is a common, usually mild, but sometimes deadly illness. Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea that come on suddenly (within 48 hours) of consuming a contaminated food or drink. Depending on the contaminant, fever and chills, bloody stools, dehydration, and nervous system damage may follow. These symptoms may affect one person or a group of people who ate the same thing (this would be called an outbreak). "