Fleas, help!

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so starting a new thread just because I can't change the title on the old one.

Yada yada, my friends kitten crawled all over me, it had fleas, now my two cats and dog have fleas.
Not sure about the dog, but the cats definitely have them.

My boyfriend went a little nuts at the Walmart and this is what he bought:

Hartz Control (spray for home) x 3 (we have a big townhouse)

Hartz 2 in 1 Flea & Tick Killer Fine Mist Spray (Deodorant and repellent)

Hartz Flea & Tick Guard for Cats

Hartz Control OneSpot (Flea topical treatment) and the same thing for dogs.

Now, can we use Hartz Control OneSpot WITH the Hartz 2 in 1 Flea & Tick Killer? Or is that too much chemical??

And we have Smart Groom by Wahl, cat shampoo. and Hartz 2 in 1 dog shampoo. Someone told me these are dangerous for dogs and cats. Is this true?

Thanks so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NVM I did some research on Hartz, everything is going back but the home spray. I'm still considering using the topical treatment, but it's most likely going back too.

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Please,please!! Do NOT use anything made by Hartz! Please read thru the link below....

http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules....month_l=August
Yeah I just found that link. A friend has used the home spray and recommends it, but everything else is going back.

Is Frontline or Advantage available from pet stores? Or will I have to go to the vet.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to the vet will be your best bet. The home spray is also dangerous and it usually does not kill the fleas. I honestly think treating your cats with frontline,then vacuuming well after they are treated and throwing away the bag,will be much more effective. Good luck!

joyce anthony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!! Please do NOT use any of the Hartz products. I am currently working on trying to get them removed from shelves. Below is a copy of a letter I had posted on numerous places on the first of this month. Please read and feel free to pass on!!! Thank you. Joyce

Stop the Slaughter

Returning home from a routine trip to the library on Friday, July 13, 2007. I found one of my beloved cats lying on the floor in a pool of blood, her tiny body wracked with convulsions. Checking on the others, I found two more unable to stand, their legs too shaky to hold their bodies, their bodies trembling fiercely.

Wrapping these three in towels, we headed for the Pet Emergency Hospital, where one of the first questions was whether I had recently given the cats a flea treatment—I had, that very afternoon. The next question: “Was it Hartz?†Again, my answer was yes. This was my first year using this particular brand.

When I left the hospital that night, it was without my three cats. They were too far gone to make it through. I left with instructions to bathe the remaining four and watch them closely. I followed this. They were quiet and nervous that night. By the next morning, another cat was in full-blown seizures and the other three were blinking rapidly and jerking, their muscles starting to be affected. Another trip to the Pet Hospital. When I left this time, one more of my babies was gone and the other three had been admitted. I was scared they would not make it. These three did come home. They survived physically, but my heart goes out to them as they wander through the house crying for those who are gone.

The look on the vetâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s face got me thinking and I started to research. This was not the first tragedy caused by Hartz flea treatment. Cats have been dying from this product for years---yet the product remains on store shelves. Unsuspecting consumers, wanting to protect their pets and trusting the Hartz name buy and use it—sometimes it is fine, all too often it ends in tragedy.

I am asking you today to take a stand with me and demand that Hartz remove their flea treatment for cats from the shelves. Hartz knows the danger, they are aware of the record, yet they continue—this slaughter must stop!!

The warning on the box states simply the product should not be used on cats under five pound, pregnant or ill. None of my seven fell into any of those categories—all were over five pounds, five over ten pounds. None were pregnant. All were healthy. The youngest was just over two years old and the oldest six—not kittens. Yet EVERY SINGLE ONE had a reaction!!!

How can you take a stand? The first step is to make a copy of this letter and post it anywhere and everywhere you can. Let people know the danger of this product. Next, contact Hartz at:
Consumer Relations Department
The Hartz Mountain Corporation
400 Plaza Drive
Secaucus , NJ 07094 USA

Consumer Hotline
1-800-275-1414
Monday – Friday | 9 am – 5 pm EST

And insist they remove their product from the shelves. If you see the cat flea treatment on a store shelf, talk to the store manager, let him or her know the danger and ask that it be removed.

Hartz, how many more lives must be lost before you stop this needless slaughter? Is it going to take you seeing the pain and horror in your childâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s eyes when they watch a beloved friend die? Is it going to take looking into a pair of golden eyes that are begging for help as you hold the convulsing body that just hours before ran and played? If there is any compassion at all within you, you will see the need to remove this product immediately.

I panic every time one of my remaining three moves quickly. Hundreds of others out there do the same. It is too late to save so many—it isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t too late to save the rest!!! I ask each and every employee at Hartz to stop by the pet shop on your way home tonight—or maybe you have a cat at home –really look into that catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s eyes and ask yourself this: Doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t that catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s life mean anything? Is the money worth the pain and suffering?

If that doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t change your mind, look into your childâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s eyes. What would you do if you gave this precious child medicine to help him or her and instead of helping, the medicine attacked every muscle, caused convulsions – and death?

My cats were my children—just as so many others are to those who love them. Find your conscious, search your hearts---and stop this senseless slaughter!!!

Joyce A. Anthony
[email protected]

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a horrible ordeal to have to go thru! Welcome to TCS, Joyce! Great post,by the way. I agree 100%!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joyce, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Sassy, you can get a three month supply of Frontline for cats for about $35-45 the last time I looked. With one package you can do both of your cats and I think one month will be more than enough to get rid of the fleas in your house. I don't think you can get an individual supply for the dog. You'd probably have to buy one packet for more than one month. Although, if your dog is the same size as your cats, you may be able to use it, but I would check with your vet on that... I don't know if the ingredients differ between dog and cat or not.. although I'd think there'd be more risk if you were attempting to use dog stuff on the cats, instead of vice versa. Anyway, that's just a thought and I definitely wouldn't do it without asking the vet at the clinic.

there is also a pill that vets have, that will kill all fleas on a dog in 24 hours. However, this won't stop any fleas that are on the ground, and not on the dog (and I also don't know if they make that pill for cats, but I *thought* the vet I got it from told me they did). They were about $10 a piece the last time I purchased one.

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious, because I've been doing research that pretty much says any flea medicine can cause adverse reactions, it is after all a chemical. Has everyone who had problems with Hartz used it correctly, in proper dosages? It's just a question.

I will be returning it, I can't take that chance with my babies.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joyce said it all. Don't use the Hartz.

Joyce, thank you by the way for detailing this information. I was not aware it was so dangerous, only that it was not to be trusted. My heart goes out to you for your pain and loss. I hope you will find some solice on this site.

As for this thread, yes you can get Frontline, Revolution, or Advantage fastest from your vet. Some pet stores carry it. Make sure to get the kitten approved amount.

The other info about vacuuming and throwing the bag away, or putting a flea collar into the vacuum container so it kills whatever is vacuumed up, works really well.

You don't need to go overboard even though that may be your first inclination. The fleas will go away pretty readily. If you are super freaked out and have enough money, see if you can get the vet to wash and apply frontline your kitten- altho you can do the same :-).

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Barb.

I've confirmed BOTH cats have fleas, now someone said cat fleas will not transfer to our dog?

I was told treatment from the vet will be around $60 dollars (per cat) is this true? I would prefer to do the treatments myself, I have no problem with doing it. How much should I be looking at spending to get Revolution or Advantage?

I'm going to check tomorrow if there is any in our local pet stores.

We are currently laundering anything and everything, even clothes that were clean. We don't want to take chances.

How do I coexist with fleas? What special efforts should I be taking regarding clothes, furniture, etc. It takes up to three months for the fleas to really be gone, right? If I don't want them getting into my clothes, car, bed, what can I do besides keeping my clothes in garbage bags and isolating the cats in the basement and kitchen part of the house?

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, I looked this up and found this interesting site.

http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules....rticle&sid=526

Here is an excerpt from one of the messages on it:

"I have learned that the pesticide that Hartz Mountain uses in their flea and tick formula is a 40 year old chemical pesticide called Phenothrin. It has long since been banned for use as a lawn pesticide, due its toxicity. Phenothrin constitutes over 85% of the total ingredients in Hartz Advanced Care Plus topical flea and tick drops for cats. My question is, if I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t use in on my lawn, why in the world would I ever use it on my animals? And why is this stuff still on the market?"

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read that, while cat and dog fleas are different, they do live on the other animals regardless, so dogs can get cat fleas and vice versa.

Online you can get a three month supply for $35 or so of Frontline Plus. It contains three applicators, each of which is good for a month. Here is a link that shows what it looks like (scroll down). http://frontline.us.merial.com/products/sub5_plus.asp

Revolution is more money I think, because it gets rid of more than just fleas and ticks; it also kills tapeworms if I'm not mistaken.

Your vet may apply just one treatment and it should/would be cheaper except the vet may do a markup.

The best chance you have for buying this stuff at a pet store is to find a local one and call them up to see if they have them- these products are not usually available in a chain like PetCo or Petsmart.

But if you have a vet, you should be able to call them up and just ask them to sell you an application for your kitten. They may not do it, but I've had my vet give it to me like that.

As for getting the fleas out of your home, you would only have a serious problem if you had animals with fleas for quite some time, like months. If you just got the kitten a little bit ago, then using the frontline application, laundering your clothes, and vacuuming frequently (especially around floor creases and cracks because fleas crawl into cracks) should do the trick.

You could also use frontline spray sparingly around cracks and so on assuming your animals are not around there getting it on their paws and noses etc.

Seriously though, I have been in your situation and I went overboard too, even removing my sofa cushions and having them dry cleaned, bringing Orkin in and boarding my cats while they sprayed the whole house. I did not need to do that and in my case my one cat had gotten a pretty bad case of fleas and had been lying around with them for a while and given them to the other 2 cats. I did do overkill though because, like you, it just freaked me out. The reality is you can get rid of them pretty easily. All the stories you read about have to do with infestations that have gone on forever. This is not the case with you. Just keep telling yourself they will be gone in a day or two, seriously, because that is really what will happen.

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Barb, I will sleep a bit easier tonight because of you!

I am totally freaking out and going overboard, it's nice to hear I AM going overboard though.

We've checked the dog, no signs of fleas. Should we get her done regardless?

My vet is not the nicest guy, I don't know if he would do that for me. Wonder if I order the Frontline online if it's okay to wait a few days and let the fleas have their party time til then?

So many questions. oh dear!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my fair share of fleas over the years. Firstly my oldest son was allergic to them. I used to bomb the house at the beginning of every summer. One flea would leave welts all over him.
He seemed to grow out of it in his teens.
Then my 15 yo cat & 14 yo dog were also allergic, particularly the dog. From mid spring to mid autum she would get huge, itchy crusty sores. I was 1st told it was food allergy & after a couple of yrs trying different foods & cortisone injections I found it was fleas. Back to bombing the house.
Then spot-ons came on to the market, what a godsend they have been. I've mostly used Advantage on my dog & she hasn't had a flea for years.
I now have an 11 mth old kitten who has never had a flea in her short life. I use Revolution on her every month mainly bc it does everything.
Indications
-kills adult fleas, flea eggs & flea larvae in the environment
-treats, controls & prevents flea infestations
-controls flea allergy dermatitis
-prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis
-treats & controls ear mites Otodectes cynotis
-treats & controls intestinal hookworm Ancylostoma tubaiforme & roundworm Toxocara cati
-waterproof after 2 hrs.
Comes in packs of 3 or 6. Kittens up to 2.6 kg, cats from 2.6-7.5 kg.
When Blossom was on the kitten strength the vet sold me individual ampules, which was dearer than buying a 3 pack, but as it turned out I only needed 2 bf she went onto the adult dose.
I guess there are no fleas in my house as I couldn't use the flea treatment on Blossom until she weighed/was old enough.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sassy42

Thanks Barb, I will sleep a bit easier tonight because of you!

I am totally freaking out and going overboard, it's nice to hear I AM going overboard though.

We've checked the dog, no signs of fleas. Should we get her done regardless?

My vet is not the nicest guy, I don't know if he would do that for me. Wonder if I order the Frontline online if it's okay to wait a few days and let the fleas have their party time til then?

So many questions. oh dear!
About two months ago I came on this forum and asked about fleas. I have 16 cats that were rescued from a hurricane. All of these cats are old and indoor.

I was going crazy with fleas. I have a dog who goes outside, so he was bringing in the fleas.

A few people on the forum told me to get the Dog Advantage for 55 pounds + and divide it up for all the cats. I was VERY, VERY CAREFUL and consulted with two of the members through personal email to get the do's and don'ts.

I also bought Borax which I had to order online because so many stores don't carry it anymore.

After putting the Borax on my carpets and the Advantage on the cats (and of course the dog)....within a matter of a week the fleas were COMPLETELY GONE.

It has been two months now and since the dog still does not have fleas....the cats do not. I check them constantly.

Many of my kitties had allergies...and now that the fleas are gone...their fur has grown back thick and full.

I am sure you will hear from people regarding this....but....it was the ONLY thing that worked for me and I am eternally grateful for the advice I got on this forum.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Please,please!! Do NOT use anything made by Hartz! Please read thru the link below....

http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules....month_l=August
I had absolutely no idea about this.....not only went to your link but other links....this is horrible....as I have used their products in the past, but not now.

Anything else they make that is not good?

Thanks so much.

sassy42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks guys! Your help is MUCH appreciated, you have no idea!

There is just so much info about getting rid of fleas out there, a lot of it conflicts with each other.

I've decided we are going to get Frontline from the vet and start them all on a flea control regime, so this won't happen again. It is just awful not being able to cuddle with my kitty, I do not want to go through this again.

I called around everywhere today, but it is a stat holiday so no vet shops were open, just emergency lines.

I was wondering if I can give them all a bath with Dawn Dishsoap and then whenever I can get to the vet this week, start with Frontline. Should I just wait for the Frontline?

Thanks again everybody.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're not infested with fleas, I'd wait. From what I understand and this may only apply to flea baths, but I thought I'd also heard that it applies to just general bathing, that it suppresses their natural immune system (or something to that effect) and therefore makes it a bit more dangerous to put flea products on them... so you should technically wait after giving them a bath to apply flea product. I think I'd wait until you got the product.