Aww poor pumpkin

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was giving Sammy a little scratch yesterday and thought his collar might be a little snug, so I loosened it. Well dumb chick that I am accidentally went two holes instead of one

He just ran into my office freaking out and meowing like mad... so I picked him up to find he had the collar in his mouth. So now I'm freaking because there's blood everywhere! I get the collar out of his mouth and start cleaning him up to see how bad it was.

Well I am happy to report that there were no major injuries. He has one small (about the size of a pin prick) cut on his gum... all the blood was just from him using his paw to get the collar out of his mouth so he wiped it everywhere. He is cleaned up now, collar back to the correct hole so he can't do this again and is lounging on the floor with Peewee. So he was scared for a minute, but is doing just fine now
But ugh, its all my fault. Poor baby!

Chalk that up to lesson learned - be careful how loose you make your cats collar!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww Pumpkin

No worries, I think we've all attached the collar too loose only to find in in their mouth (woops).

You caught it in time though
Pumpkin will be fine

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no!! poor kitty! Glad he's okay though.

I made a mistake with making Isadora's collar too loose once. She got one of her front legs caught through her collar...it was like all the way through it. I saw her from a distance and thought she broke her leg. I started freaking out until I got up close; then I started cracking up. Don't ask me HOW this happened....cause I have no clue how she did it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Was giving Sammy a little scratch yesterday and thought his collar might be a little snug, so I loosened it. Well dumb chick that I am accidentally went two holes instead of one

He just ran into my office freaking out and meowing like mad... so I picked him up to find he had the collar in his mouth. So now I'm freaking because there's blood everywhere! I get the collar out of his mouth and start cleaning him up to see how bad it was.

Well I am happy to report that there were no major injuries. He has one small (about the size of a pin prick) cut on his gum... all the blood was just from him using his paw to get the collar out of his mouth so he wiped it everywhere. He is cleaned up now, collar back to the correct hole so he can't do this again and is lounging on the floor with Peewee. So he was scared for a minute, but is doing just fine now
But ugh, its all my fault. Poor baby!

Chalk that up to lesson learned - be careful how loose you make your cats collar!
From someone who's had this experience (but not the "pin prick", thankfully!), I echo your thoughts. And for those little injuries, a solution of purified water mixed with hydrogen peroxide is always good to have on hand.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter where I volunteer uses very tough disposable collars with adhesive on one end to hold them together... and I HATE THEM! The techs get just one shot at sizing the collar right, and if the adhesive sticks before they find the right spot... they often just let it go.

So I'm always going in and finding kittens with collars jammed like gags in their mouths, and twice I've found kittens with front legs stuck partly through the collar. It just infuriates me, especially when a collar isn't really necessary because the kitten either has a cage to himself, or is easy to identify by the description on his paperwork. (They're all microchipped, so even if there was some confusion, they could all be sorted out.)

I've also found kittens with their fur caught in the adhesive of the collar (how does a tech not notice he's done that?), and several times, I've found older kittens whose collars haven't been changed in months and are too tight for them!

I wish the shelter were closer... I just can't afford the gas to make that drive often enough to really keep up with the kitties. There are lots of other volunteers, though... I hope they're noticing these problems as well.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My RB Girl Tiger managed to do that with her collar before. She more than once had it stuck around one arm. That was with safety collars too! That's been a few years now, and it seems the ones the girls have on now are better made and what not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awwww Pumpkin

No worries, I think we've all attached the collar too loose only to find in in their mouth (woops).

You caught it in time though
Pumpkin will be fine
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Glad that he is ok!
Don't feel bad. We have all done that before.
Originally Posted by moonlights mom

I'm happy its not any serious injuries! We all mess up one time or another.
Thanks guys! And glad to see I'm not the only one
Sammy came through it like a trooper and forgave my stupidity rather quickly.... then spent the whole night supervising me painting the kitchen

Originally Posted by Isadora44

Oh no!! poor kitty! Glad he's okay though.

I made a mistake with making Isadora's collar too loose once. She got one of her front legs caught through her collar...it was like all the way through it. I saw her from a distance and thought she broke her leg. I started freaking out until I got up close; then I started cracking up. Don't ask me HOW this happened....cause I have no clue how she did it.
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

My RB Girl Tiger managed to do that with her collar before. She more than once had it stuck around one arm. That was with safety collars too! That's been a few years now, and it seems the ones the girls have on now are better made and what not.
You know, I'm sure it was scary at the time... but this is one of those incidents that just makes you laugh after its all over thinking wow, those are some determined kitties!
I'm glad they both came out of it ok!

Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

From someone who's had this experience (but not the "pin prick", thankfully!), I echo your thoughts. And for those little injuries, a solution of purified water mixed with hydrogen peroxide is always good to have on hand.
Oh I never thought of that. Awesome. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

The shelter where I volunteer uses very tough disposable collars with adhesive on one end to hold them together... and I HATE THEM! The techs get just one shot at sizing the collar right, and if the adhesive sticks before they find the right spot... they often just let it go.

So I'm always going in and finding kittens with collars jammed like gags in their mouths, and twice I've found kittens with front legs stuck partly through the collar. It just infuriates me, especially when a collar isn't really necessary because the kitten either has a cage to himself, or is easy to identify by the description on his paperwork. (They're all microchipped, so even if there was some confusion, they could all be sorted out.)

I've also found kittens with their fur caught in the adhesive of the collar (how does a tech not notice he's done that?), and several times, I've found older kittens whose collars haven't been changed in months and are too tight for them!

I wish the shelter were closer... I just can't afford the gas to make that drive often enough to really keep up with the kitties. There are lots of other volunteers, though... I hope they're noticing these problems as well.
Ugh that's horrible. I'm not really a fan of collars on kitties because I'm so afraid something like this will happen.... but in my neighborhood I don't trust that if one of them got out they'd be taken to the shelter to get their chips read
But if they're already in the shelter then that just seems like overkill.

Poor babies

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Hey there CP! Gorgeous siggy, btw -- and gorgeous CATS!!!

Is there any way you could have a little meeting with the other volunteers, email them all, or leave some kind of message for them regarding the collars? I bet if every volunteer worked together on this, each shift doing what they could, the problem could be solved, or at least greatly improved...what do you think?