Grandma wants to give me her cat

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandma has a beautiful cat named Cleo. She adopted her about four years ago. Cleo was abused by previous owner and is very shy and skittish. When ever I go visit my grandma though Cleo warms right up to me. She lets me pet her belly and her head, stuff she wont even let my grandma do. I think my grandma can tell I'm falling in kitty love cuz she ask me if I wanted her. The trouble is my DH and are are moving soon and my cat Popsie is so old I don't think he'd handle another cat very well. My grandma thinks Cleo is about 5 or 6 years old and I don't think she'd bother Popsie too much, it's just that Popsie been an only kitty all his life. I told her when he passed that I'd take Cleo if that's still what she wanted. Oh, I wish I could have her now. She's so pretty and sweet. Any advice will be helpful.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you read the cat-introductions article by Hissy? It's under a sticky in the Behavior forum, I think...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait before getting another kitty. A new kitty in a home when Popsie has been the only kitty for so long will be stressful for him.

It sounds like the other kitty is in a good home right now and you can visit her for the time being.

Popsie doesn't have long in this world and he's really old by kitty standards. Spend your time building memories and lavishing lots of love on him while you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I would wait before getting another kitty. A new kitty in a home when Popsie has been the only kitty for so long will be stressful for him.

It sounds like the other kitty is in a good home right now and you can visit her for the time being.

Popsie doesn't have long in this world and he's really old by kitty standards. Spend your time building memories and lavishing lots of love on him while you can.
I know it's best to wait. I'm going to but it's hard. Cleo gave me I love you eyes when I was there tonight.