Spent 4 hours in labor and delivery today...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a fun day

Last weekend we were out and I suddenly got blurry vision to the point where I couldn't read anything and was dizzy and had bright spots in front of my eyes. Usually for me this is the first sign of a migraine, so I had some caffeine, then we got home, but not for a couple of hours later (we were in San Francisco and had to drop a friend at the airport). I never got the migraine, but did get a bit of a headache.

Today I had it again - vision went, got dizzy and a headache started coming on. So I called labor and delivery to check if it was anything worth worrying about, and they said to come in to get checked out.

So I went in and they were fantastic - I went straight into a private room and we had lovely lovely people looking after me. They monitored the baby and my blood pressure, and took urine samples and took blood to get checked and checked with neurology to see if they were worried about it being brain related.

Apparently their main concern was preeclampsia as vision problems is one of the symptoms of it. My blood pressure was fine though, and my urine samples were fine, and the bloodwork took forever to come back, but that was fine as well, so I got released again.

Overall though, it was good - they brought me a tray of food which was half decent, the doctor and nurses were fabulous, we could watch tv, they checked on me regularly, and we got to peek in the L & D recovery rooms which seemed quite nice.

So they have no idea what's causing the blurry vision, but said to get my eyes checked just in case it's a vision thing, but it's probably pregnancy related and migrainey, but manifesting differently to how my migraines normally would.

Fun way to spend an afternoon

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear everything seems to be fine. I hope that whatever it was doesn't come back or isn't anything serious.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was at the neurologist's last week (also for blurry vision) the doctor told me that a migraine doesn't have to be a bad headache. He said that my blurred vision could be an actual migraine. (We found out later that it was something with the front of my eye.) I had never known that! I hope your vision comes back to normal soon! It's been no fun for me at all!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm glad you're ok (=3w from Carly, don't know what it means). I just hope it doesn't occur again.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You worried me with the title for a sec there!
Hopefully it was just nothing but a weird migrane!

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
You worried me too !

I feel like this is our baby to I think it's great that you have been keeping us up to date and sending the pic's

Ok if you wanted to have a test run to the hospital to see how long it will take no need for all this........
(Just kidding Sweetie.

Trying to make you smile ( hope it worked)

Sending my
to watch over your baby angel

Hugs~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a minor freak out while we were there - I'd asked if it was ok to get something to eat, and nurse said she'd check if that was ok, because if they decided to deliver the baby today I wouldn't be able to.

She saw the look on my face and said that it was highly unlikely since I seemed fine, but she had to be sure. I think DH and I both had mild heart attacks at that point...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I'm glad your ok hon
My first thought was preclampsia. I'm glad that isn't the case though and that your results came back ok
How are you feeling now? Better i hope!! What a way to spend the day! At least though you got to see where you'll be when you have the baby and you had a positive experience there! That is great- hopefully that's one less thing you'll not have to worry over when the time comes- you know you'll be in good hands

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm feeling fine now - I still have a bit of a lingering headache, but more the feeling of pressure in my head which is completely manageable.

Oh oh oh and the coolest thing at the hospital - the baby monitor also picked up the sound of his movements! So I could hear as well as feel all of his kicks which were very regular. A couple of people came in to ask if I'd still been feeling the baby move today and got halfway through and said "never mind, I can hear him kicking you..."

He even got the hiccups while I was hooked up!! So we heard the little guy hiccuping
It didn't sound like the way we hiccup, it was more the sound your heartbeat makes through a stethoscope, but that gave us a good giggle! I didn't realise that's what the noise was until the nurse pointed it out.

And Jana - tell Carly I said thanks - her words are reassuring

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear that you and the baby do not have preclempsia! A friend of mine had that and basically her baby had to come a month early. She was not having fun with that.

MoochnNoodles is right, you can still have a migraine without the pain. My mom had me using this nose spray in college because we both have sinus issues in the summer. I had to stop taking it because I was beginning to have Sparkle Migraines. There weren't any pains with it, I would only see sparkles in front of my eyes for 5 minutes or so.

The staff is probably right though, it's acombo of the pregnancy and migraines...most likely your hormones have changed how you have headaches for the time being.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

So glad to hear that you and the baby do not have preclempsia! A friend of mine had that and basically her baby had to come a month early. She was not having fun with that.

MoochnNoodles is right, you can still have a migraine without the pain. My mom had me using this nose spray in college because we both have sinus issues in the summer. I had to stop taking it because I was beginning to have Sparkle Migraines. There weren't any pains with it, I would only see sparkles in front of my eyes for 5 minutes or so.

The staff is probably right though, it's acombo of the pregnancy and migraines...most likely your hormones have changed how you have headaches for the time being.
That's very relieving to hear, we were rather worried!!! I was talking to a friend yesterday who was saying she had a rough week because a friend of hers little girl died last week of a brain tumour that wasn't detected until too late. So I had that ringing in my head which is why I called L&D - you can never be too careful!

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
Sarah how exciting to hear about the baby moving, oh my and the hiccup's to poor baby .
Now remember your not due yet ( LIKE you don't know That)

so tell the little one just a bit longer

Like I said a few minutes ago get rest . Before I go did you try a cool towel on your forehead ? you could have hubby rub your feet sometimes that helps with headaches but if not ... don't tell hubby at least your feet will feel good

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Baby hiccups? That must've been so cute!!
Oh my gosh -- does anyone else remember the baby hiccups video that was on America's Funniest Home Videos years ago? There were two little boys, maybe eight months or so, I guess, sitting on a sofa together. One was propped up against the armrest, and the other was leaning on him, both of them looking into the camera.

Well, the first little boy had the hiccups, and every time he hicced, the little guy leaning on him would giggle! Over and over --

hic!

giggle

hic!

giggle

hic!

giggle

They were just precious! And oh, I can hardly wait for your little one, Sarah...as Heavenangels said, this is our baby, y'know!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

When I was at the neurologist's last week (also for blurry vision) the doctor told me that a migraine doesn't have to be a bad headache. He said that my blurred vision could be an actual migraine. (We found out later that it was something with the front of my eye.) I had never known that! I hope your vision comes back to normal soon! It's been no fun for me at all!
Very true...when I was 30 I had my first incidence of losing partial vision in just one eye (it was a grey shadow, irregularly shaped that moved across that eye's field of vision, putting my hand over the eye, I had normal vision in the other). anyhoo...many other instances that would hijack the thread...diagnosis is retinal migraine - all without headache..never get one with these!

Sarah..I am glad all checked out so well for you re bp/blood work and urine. Hopefully these two incidents will not be repeated.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh my gosh -- does anyone else remember the baby hiccups video that was on America's Funniest Home Videos years ago? There were two little boys, maybe eight months or so, I guess, sitting on a sofa together. One was propped up against the armrest, and the other was leaning on him, both of them looking into the camera.

Well, the first little boy had the hiccups, and every time he hicced, the little guy leaning on him would giggle! Over and over --

hic!

giggle

hic!

giggle

hic!

giggle

They were just precious! And oh, I can hardly wait for your little one, Sarah...as Heavenangels said, this is our baby, y'know!
Oh that was so cute!!

When your baby is born Sarah, promise to take a video of him hiccuping for me, will ya? Babby hiccups get me every time....

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by heavenangels

Sarah how exciting to hear about the baby moving, oh my and the hiccup's to poor baby .
Now remember your not due yet ( LIKE you don't know That)

so tell the little one just a bit longer

Like I said a few minutes ago get rest . Before I go did you try a cool towel on your forehead ? you could have hubby rub your feet sometimes that helps with headaches but if not ... don't tell hubby at least your feet will feel good
When the nurse heard him moving around, she patted my belly and said "now little guy, you ARE in L&D, but it's not your time yet, so don't get too excited"

Next time, now that I know it's nothing to worry about I'll do the cool washcloth and Tylenol thing and just go back to bed

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

hic!

giggle

hic!

giggle

hic!

giggle

They showed that video on Australia's Funniest Home Videos as well (yes there's an Australian version), and yes it's too cute!!

And yup, I know it's a TCS baby - you guys were there for the "omg am I pregnant moment?????", then the first ones I told when I found out I actually was!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad that you are okay! I didn't realise that you can have migraines without the pain. That explains a lot for me

Get plenty of rest!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you and your little boy are ok!!

Now at least you are familiar with where you will have the baby and the quality of care seems excellent!

You are due in about 2 months right?