Help please?!

sukiling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. This is my first time on thecatsite.com. I'm here because my Blue Point Siamese (female, 4 years old) is really sick and I don't know what to do to help her.

Here's a synopsis of her condition: I noticed on Thursday evening that it looked like she hadn't eaten all day, so I gave her three little cat treats. She ate them happily, but then she threw them up within a few minutes. The next morning (yesterday) there were a couple more places where she had thrown up in the night.

Yesterday (Friday) night I came home and it was obvious that she hadn't eaten all day and had thrown up some liquid (only) in several places and there was only one tiny wet spot in the litterbox. Late yesterday night she started frothing at the mouth and dripping excess saliva, so I took her to an emergency vet's office. She perked up amazingly while we were there, and the exam didn't show anything major. They did just enough blood work to see if she was dehydrated. Since she was just beginning to get dehydrated, they put fluid under her skin to help with that and told me to take her to the regular vet today.

At the vet today, he did an x-ray that showed some thickening in her stomach and small intestine. Her liver also looked small (or strange somehow) in the x-ray. He was surprised by the amount of gingivitis he saw, which I was totally unaware of. He sent off for the full array of blood work and that should be back on Monday morning.

To treat her symptoms, he gave her a shot of Reglan/ABX to help with the nausea. And tomorrow we start half a pill a day of Zeniquin (25 mg). I can't tell that the anti-nausea medicine is doing anything. She's still drooling/dripping quite a bit and moves like she's in more pain than she was before. His paperwork from the visit today says Dx: Gastroenteritis and Gingivitis. So all in all she seems worse than she was late last night. We should know more after the blood work is back, but does anyone have any ideas on how to help her now or make her more comfortable until then?

When my aunt heard about it, she wondered about poisoning, especially with the amount of drooling she's doing. Unless it could have been a bug, I don't know what she might have gotten into. Does anyone here have experience with that at all?

Sorry this is such a long thread. I just wanted to give as clear a picture of her condition as possible. I welcome any comments, ideas, or words of wisdom. Thank you!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SukiLing

Hello all. This is my first time on thecatsite.com. I'm here because my Blue Point Siamese (female, 4 years old) is really sick and I don't know what to do to help her.

Here's a synopsis of her condition: I noticed on Thursday evening that it looked like she hadn't eaten all day, so I gave her three little cat treats. She ate them happily, but then she threw them up within a few minutes. The next morning (yesterday) there were a couple more places where she had thrown up in the night.

Yesterday (Friday) night I came home and it was obvious that she hadn't eaten all day and had thrown up some liquid (only) in several places and there was only one tiny wet spot in the litterbox. Late yesterday night she started frothing at the mouth and dripping excess saliva, so I took her to an emergency vet's office. She perked up amazingly while we were there, and the exam didn't show anything major. They did just enough blood work to see if she was dehydrated. Since she was just beginning to get dehydrated, they put fluid under her skin to help with that and told me to take her to the regular vet today.

At the vet today, he did an x-ray that showed some thickening in her stomach and small intestine. Her liver also looked small (or strange somehow) in the x-ray. He was surprised by the amount of gingivitis he saw, which I was totally unaware of. He sent off for the full array of blood work and that should be back on Monday morning.

To treat her symptoms, he gave her a shot of Reglan/ABX to help with the nausea. And tomorrow we start half a pill a day of Zeniquin (25 mg). I can't tell that the anti-nausea medicine is doing anything. She's still drooling/dripping quite a bit and moves like she's in more pain than she was before. His paperwork from the visit today says Dx: Gastroenteritis and Gingivitis. So all in all she seems worse than she was late last night. We should know more after the blood work is back, but does anyone have any ideas on how to help her now or make her more comfortable until then?

When my aunt heard about it, she wondered about poisoning, especially with the amount of drooling she's doing. Unless it could have been a bug, I don't know what she might have gotten into. Does anyone here have experience with that at all?

Sorry this is such a long thread. I just wanted to give as clear a picture of her condition as possible. I welcome any comments, ideas, or words of wisdom. Thank you!
Dear SukiLing:

I would think as your aunt does; the primary thing is to get her to a vet, which you have done/are doing; and since nothing else has shown up in a test yet, just keeping her in a quiet, comfortable location and making food, water and litterbox available, along with affection if she seems to want it, is the best you can do -- along with praying, of course, or if you do not do this, thinking the best, healing, good thoughts for her! Know she, and you, are in the thoughts and prayers of many here at TCS; and keep us posted, please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sukiling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Tarasgirl06, for your reply. I appreciate your words and your prayers. I have many people in my life lifting her (us) up in prayer, and I believe that God is at work. It's just scary in the meantime. Thanks again, both for caring and for replying. Blessings to you!

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome and sorry to hear about your sick kitty. It is truly something how we suffer right along with them, isn't it? I can't offer any advice other than to comfort her as much as possible. Sending good vibes your way

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what could be wrong w/ your cat, but you've already done what's right by taking her into see the vet. I hope it's nothing serious, and she gets to feeling better soon!

I'll be sending good vibes your way!
Keep us updated!

KittKatt

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SukiLing

Thank you, Tarasgirl06, for your reply. I appreciate your words and your prayers. I have many people in my life lifting her (us) up in prayer, and I believe that God is at work. It's just scary in the meantime. Thanks again, both for caring and for replying. Blessings to you!
...I know. That's why being part of a community like TCS is so wonderful -- all of us out here are thinking the best thoughts and praying for her and you, whether we post it or not, I'm sure!

Be strong -- for your little girl!