Do you allow...?

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to take a poll to see how many people do or dont allow their cats in the kitchen and on the countertops

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I voted yes, but only when I'm not cooking. I don't want Bijou on the counters (except the one that she eats on which is faaaaar away from the others) PERIOD. But, like all cats, she has other ideas about that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I know my babies do too..I tell them no and sometimes they get down and sometimes they dont...I was snuck up on tonight while peeling potatoes by Jewel...she stole a peeling and took off like a streak of ligthening...I had to chase her throught he house to get it back...I dont know why she wanted it she wouldnt have ate it anyway

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted "yes but only when I'm not cooking." For a while we tried to stop them from jumping on the table and counters but we can't really control that when we're sleeping or out of the house.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also answered yes as long as I am not cooking. I wipe everything down before preparing foods anyways so now big deal IMO.

benthicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't think either cat would be able to get up there even if I let them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our girls can't be kept out of the kitchen because of the house layout, but I wouldn't anyway. We just try to keep them off the counters. I know they get up there sometimes, but I've just learned to wipe things down before I cook and what not. I don't want them getting comfortable up there though, since that is the only place I allow candles to burn. But then I don't really burn them too often.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kits all drink from the kitchen faucet, so yes, they are allowed up, but not while I'm cooking.
Though they usually don't bother if I'm in there anyway.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

I just wanted to take a poll to see how many people do or dont allow their cats in the kitchen and on the countertops
I can not allow that???

I try at least to not allow her on the countertops, I can't stand her on the countertops, but she will do it anyway when I am not in the room sometimes!

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I allow Tsar on all tables/couches/furniture etc. EXCEPT the dinner table and kitchen counter. I think that those are human places, and I can't always guarentee that there will be a safe enviroment for him up there. I don't want to worry about leaving a knife, or a piece of meat for a sec if I run to grab something else or go to the bathroom or something silly.

Otherwise, he has free reign of the house.
He has jumped on the table twice, but stopped after he got yelled at. I'm sure once he's full grown we'll have a talk about the counters too LOL.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... well, officially I don't allow Shami on top of the counter tops, and he knows that he's not allowed on top of them. But I find evidence that he's been on top of them all the time. He just does it when I'm not looking.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys will go on the table or counter but know not to do so when I am working there, and if they get caught know to get down right away. When I am making dinner or doing clean up they generally are around my feet somewhere or laying on the stair that lead down into my kitchen. Or Sassy will get up on top of the fridge and tap me on the head when I walk by.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

...you MUST gotta be kiddin'. "ALLOW", you say? ALLOW?That's rich!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL allow was a bit of a strong word for a cat..they generally do as they please..I know my babies do I just wipe down everything with clorox wipes before I cook an when guest are over I put them in their room until we eat

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, i just don't think it's sanitary. Even if they're not up there when i'm cooking, i don't want fur on my counters if i can help it. My kitties have never tried to get up there though (except Isabella- to steal a massive chicken leg
) so i don't really worry over it. If they get up there i just pick them up, tell them "no" and redirect them to another part in the house where they can play/lounge around and give them treats when they're in the places they're allowed so that they associate the spots i want them in as good places

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
I voted NO they sit in the kitchen when we are in there.
From the time my girls were babies I decided then that they would never be allowed up on the counters I do remember Scrappy-doo trying it when she was much younger but I nip that in the bud and she never did again . Besides I don't like it and they shed so I don't want hair on the counters this wouldn't be a good thing.
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

No, i just don't think it's sanitary. Even if they're not up there when i'm cooking, i don't want fur on my counters if i can help it. My kitties have never tried to get up there though (except Isabella- to steal a massive chicken leg
) so i don't really worry over it. If they get up there i just pick them up, tell them "no" and redirect them to another part in the house where they can play/lounge around and give them treats when they're in the places they're allowed so that they associate the spots i want them in as good places

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heavenangels

Besides I don't like it and they shed so I don't want hair on the counters this wouldn't be a good thing.
But but but! Cat hair is part of a well balanced diet!
j/k I just had to.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe my answer to your question would have to be:

Yes, my cats allow me in their kitchen.