X GAMES this is crash is unreal!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw that. It was amazing. Two of my nephews really into skateboarding. I expect to see him up there in the XGames some day. Anyway, they take so many dangerous falls and spills that I'm thinking their bodies get toughened up, and that's probably why they can take those falls and spills without getting seriously hurt.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my coworkers showed me this video yesterday. Truely amazing that he got up and [with help] limped off the ramp.

The same coworker saw it when the show originally aired and was telling me that he and his friends thought that Brown's feet fell off when he hit the ground. It wasn't until this video that he saw that it was just the guy's shoes.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to admit though, that was a great advertisement for safety gear...especially the helmet!

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read an online news article about this, and there was a quote from one of the other competators. "It was the gnarliest slam I have ever seen." Despite the seriousness of the fall, I had to chuckle at that.

It said he ended up with a broken vertebrae, bruised liver and some internal bleeding. He said he intentionally lined himself up to hit feet first, which probably saved him from a lot more injuries.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little brother fell off a ski lift about 4 years ago. He slipped right as his feet came off the snow at the start and was hanging, but didn't drop right away because he assumed someone would stop the lift and he could drop while it was still. By the time he realized nobody who worked there was monitoring the lift, it was too far to drop safely. He tried to hang on until the top, but slipped. His friend grabbed his hand, but that only lasted a couple seconds until his glove slipped off. He fell 46 ft. However, he had been snowboarding their "park" and was wearing a helmet, thank god. He got the wind knocked out of him and ended up with compression fractures of his T6 and 7 vertebrae, but was otherwise fine.

Just goes to show you that the human body can take crazy falls if it lands just right.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently he didn't just get up and walk off - he was unconscious for a good few minutes, but it's still impressive he didn't have more serious injuries!!!

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And really, it was stupid for him to walk off. They should have carried him off on a stretcher. He could have made his injuries worse.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He walked off the quarter-pipe, but did get into a wheelchair that had a board for him to lay his legs straight out that took him to the ambulance, so its not like he just walked outta there and went home. He had some internal bleeding, a bruised liver and I think I heard a hairline fracture in his back somewhere, but he was on the X-games tonight talking--said he felt fine and hopes to be back next week--that's courage!! Or stupidity...Vibes to him!!

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

You have to admit though, that was a great advertisement for safety gear...especially the helmet!
I say it's a great ad to encourage you to not do those stupid things. I don't understand what's so heroic about it... it's like seeing someone driving at 200 at the highway, crash in the wall, and survive it - that doesn't make him a hero
I don't get those guys on the TV - stop encouraging people to do such things, it's crazy

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a hard time watching people do those tricks and things. I used to work with a guy who was very into motor cross racing when he was in his late teens. He had an accident where his bike landed on his spine and he is now a paraplegic. He has an amazing attitude towards it and is married and has a good professional life, but I still think of him loosing that part of his life. I guess I'm just not that daring!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a natural human impulse to push the body to its absolute limit, to find out just how far you can go and then push for one more inch... and in so doing, to thumb your nose at death.

I wouldn't call it heroic -- "heroic" is the man who threw himself under a subway train to save a total stranger. But it certainly is brave and inspiring.

And dazzling to watch! I can't imagine how it must feel to be able to do such a thing!

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

It's a natural human impulse to push the body to its absolute limit, to find out just how far you can go and then push for one more inch... and in so doing, to thumb your nose at death.

I wouldn't call it heroic -- "heroic" is the man who threw himself under a subway train to save a total stranger. But it certainly is brave and inspiring.

And dazzling to watch! I can't imagine how it must feel to be able to do such a thing!
I agree with every word to you

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that earlier today. I would have at least expected one or both legs to be broken. That's crazy!!