Sty on my eye lid

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else get these? I have gotten them before, but not like this one.

This one is actually on my lower eye lid(inside)...it hurts, and is itching like crazy!!

What can you do for them, anything?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Does anyone else get these? I have gotten them before, but not like this one.

This one is actually on my lower eye lid(inside)...it hurts, and is itching like crazy!!

What can you do for them, anything?
You can get something from Wal-Mart that helps with the itching, it is called stye away or something like that.

A warm compress on the eye also seems to help me when I get them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pop them

I actually love it..its cool to pop them..I just do it with the end of my tweezers.

I'm sure folks will say thats not the best thing to do and they are probably right, but I have never had any problems. And then they are gone.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I pop them

I actually love it..its cool to pop them..I just do it with the end of my tweezers.

I'm sure folks will say thats not the best thing to do and they are probably right, but I have never had any problems. And then they are gone.
Let me guess...You also want to pop any zit on anyone's face? My husband will chase me around the house to pop a zit even when I tell him it's not ready to pop!

I can't even imagine putting tweezers to my eye, but if it works for you....you must have a steadier hand than I!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I pop them

OUCH

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Let me guess...You also want to pop any zit on anyone's face? My husband will chase me around the house to pop a zit even when I tell him it's not ready to pop!

And I thought Rob was the only one who did that. He'll start out nice by rubbing my back or scratching my head ... but he's really looking for something to pop!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get sty's but I do get chalazions - an inflamation in one of the corkscrew glands in the eye lids. Nice red, sore bumps...if you get right on them treating them with warm compresses sometimes you can get them to drain. Otherwise I've had to have them surgically lanced (UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Nothing like lidocaine in your eyelid

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get them when I was younger. A warm compress seemed to help. Usually I would wake up one morning with my eye stuck together. Ugh.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I pop them

That's what I do too..

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to get them when I was younger too (rubbing eyes with grubby hands). If the sty is close to the edge of the eyelid, you can get tweezers and pull out the eye lash(es) that are on top of the sty, and sometimes you get it to drain out immediately. Get a warm wet towel and apply pressure till it's completely drained out and should be fine the next day.

Otherwise... not sure, just let it ripen and it'll pop on it's own.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

And I thought Rob was the only one who did that. He'll start out nice by rubbing my back or scratching my head ... but he's really looking for something to pop!!
I'm guilty of this!

I've had plenty of stys. Warm compresses help me the most. I touch my eyes too much. Which is also most likely how I ended up in the eye situation I've been in for the past 2 weeks now.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see that no one has suggested the best remedy for sty's yet. My grandmother swore that if you put a warm teabag on it it would burst fairly quickly. Plus the tantanic acid in the tea works as a anesthetic and antiseptic to ease the pain and kill the bacteria.
Give it a try, warm teabag for about 15minutes.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get them all the time..probably because I wear contacts. My husband had one so bad a few months ago that his whole eye was nearly swollen shut.

Definitely don't pop it, as the eye is very susceptible to infection and that can make it a whole lot worse. I always find that a warm compress works for me. Unfortunately there's not much more you can do for it other than to let it go away on its own.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Geebus how do you do that? Waaay too painful!

If it's only a little one it goes away after a few days, if it's bad i get a cream from the doctor

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's a sty? I thought I had one of those and went to the doctor about it and it turned out that I have something called "Blepharitis", which is a chronic disease of the eyes. Essentially it is caused by the hair follicles of the eye lids becoming clogged up and inflammed.

I needed some eye drops to clear up the infection, and now I have to "shampoo" my eye lids & lashes with baby shampoo so that it doesn't reoccur.

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php

extinctosaurus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've gotten them two or three times!! When I first moved up here, I had this huge one over my left eye (my good eye) and I could barely see what I was doing on the computer at work. I had to go to the doctor's and they gave me some stuff for it, then one day it exploded. It was so nasty. I'm actually missing a few eyelashes from the spot where it was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Are you sure it's a sty? I thought I had one of those and went to the doctor about it and it turned out that I have something called "Blepharitis", which is a chronic disease of the eyes. Essentially it is caused by the hair follicles of the eye lids becoming clogged up and inflammed.

I needed some eye drops to clear up the infection, and now I have to "shampoo" my eye lids & lashes with baby shampoo so that it doesn't reoccur.

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php
Nope, Im not 100% sure.
I just know for a sty, its kinda in a *odd* place? I have never gotten them on my bottom eye lid, and on the inside.....

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If you keep getting them, see your dr.--they can be a sign of diabetes, if you get them often.

I had some last year; the dr. gave me an antibiotic ointment. When this took too long to work, I dipped a Q-Tip in warm water, with white vinegar, and dabbed it on--it does burn a bit, but it opens up the sty, and drains it, which is what you need.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Nope, Im not 100% sure.
I just know for a sty, its kinda in a *odd* place? I have never gotten them on my bottom eye lid, and on the inside.....
Is it on the inside edge of the eye or partially down on the inside of the lid? If it is not on the edge, I believe it's what I wrote about having dealt with - chalazion's..which you can not just pop...warm compresses are your only hope outside of the opthamologist lancing it for you under local.